Information required

13 minutes ago, Bigteddy1954 said:

Hi folks been asked to shoot greylags and Canada geese out of season do I and the landowner need special license or is it not permitted. Cheers teddy

For Canada geese I think general licence may cover it, but i would say the greylags would need a special permit.

Take this with a pinch of salt mind as the licences may have changed.

• 1 month later...

Just be careful with the general licences, the farmer must have tried alternative methods (most arable farmers around me have pigeon scarers up 365 days a year to show they have at least tried other methods), before commencing a cull to protect crops and watch the SSSI exclusions and buffer zones around sensitive sites.

Grass farmers, generally aren't as up to date on requirements, but it is your licence and yourself at risk if it goes pear shaped.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/wildlife-management-advice-notice-legal-measures-for-managing-wild-birds-wml-gu01

Canada's only in England but as noted above Greylags and Canada's in Scotland.

I would also advise keep records for 6 years as reccommended

Edited by Stonepark

Hi there are a lot of rules and regulations that go with the General License as shown. Although alternative lawful methods aren’t required in England for Canada geese. It’s recommended to try to control numbers in their shooting season. About twelve months ago a man was shooting a number of different species in one day. One was a jay. I read an article about this as the man was reported for shooting a jay in the winter time when there was no nesting birds to protect. The police were told that the jay wasn’t shot that day it was a frozen bird used as a prop for the photo .? So if anyone is going out to shoot jays and hasn’t done there homework then they should take a freezer with them .

21 hours ago, Gas seal said:

One was a jay. I read an article about this as the man was reported for shooting a jay in the winter time when there was no nesting birds to protect.

I appreciate that this was from a newspaper report but out of academic interest I can find no reference in GL40 which restricts conservation of wild birds to their nesting season. Presumably another case of misreporting.

• 3 months later...

GL allows culling but still does not allow you to use orherwise illegal methods. In Scotland you could use lead inland, in England still have to use steel.

Advice: familiarise yourself with the other relevant legislation

We recommend that you familiarise yourself with other legislation that may be relevant to your circumstances when operating under this licence, including:

Use of lead shot

The Environmental Protection (Restriction on the use of Lead Shot) (England) Regulations 1999 prohibit the use of lead shot:

• on all foreshores (the seashore between the high-water and low-water marks) in England
  • in or over specified sites of special scientific interest (SSSIs) - predominantly wetlands
  • for the shooting of all ducks and geese, coot and moorhen
Edited by Stonepark

On 19/06/2022 at 00:38, Stonepark said:

GL allows culling but still does not allow you to use orherwise illegal methods. In Scotland you could use lead inland, in England still have to use steel.

Advice: familiarise yourself with the other relevant legislation

We recommend that you familiarise yourself with other legislation that may be relevant to your circumstances when operating under this licence, including:

Use of lead shot

The Environmental Protection (Restriction on the use of Lead Shot) (England) Regulations 1999 prohibit the use of lead shot:

• on all foreshores (the seashore between the high-water and low-water marks) in England
  • in or over specified sites of special scientific interest (SSSIs) - predominantly wetlands
  • for the shooting of all ducks and geese, coot and moorhen

Hi thank yo

On 18/06/2022 at 21:47, Bigteddy1954 said:

Hi folks farmer just got the paper work thro

With the go ahead to shoot greys and canada's. do I still have to shoot them with steel or can I use lead on the crops to be protected .cheers teddy

It depends where in the UK you are and if in Scotland than for use of lead over what sort of terrain. However at present in all of the UK you can use lead bullets or lead core bullets from a rifle. The UK rules ban lead shot. Shotguns fire a charge of shot. Rifles fire bullets. So a lead subsonic .22LR would be lawful.

Edited by enfieldspares