Browning 325's

Stephen-H

Afternoon all pondering about buying the above possibly what's people thoughts on the older 325 model & with us moving towards steel shot does anyone know if they were steel shot proof or if it would need doing? Currently have a 525 model & it's been fantastic never had a problem. 

I have a 425 fixed choke 20 bore with no Fleur de Lis stamping but I'm assured by a very competent gunsmith that standard steel will not be a problem.

The 325/424's are very well made unlike their Italian competitors. Obviously get advice!

Steel shot is, I believe not compulsory as yet - Ask the BASC as they sold the lead ban

The 325 is a very good gun. I had a G3 Sporter for quite a few years and used it for clays and game. The only reason I sold mine was due to a personal crisis and needed funds, and nothing to do with the gun itself. 
They aren’t steel shot proofed and nor were the barrels chrome lined if I recall, but the latter isn’t a problem as long as you clean them properly. 
I certainly wouldn’t feel under gunned if I still had one, and the higher grades still command good money last time I looked. 

Thank you chaps! Does anyone roughly know what year of production they were made from before they were replaced with the 425s I believe the last year of production was 1995 but I'm sure of when production started. Watched a video earlier on YouTube of a grade 5/6 with gold inlay stunning gun!

4 years ago my younger son who had enjoyed a good Christmas bonus, gave me the cash to buy a well used 325 with both barrels ported.

It shares the most favourite gun spot with my old 686. Occasionally, I shoot well enough to justify it's quality build

lovely gun will never sell 👍

gdadphil

I've got a 325 G5 made in 1989.  Beautiful gun both in wood and engraving. Top Browning quality. It's got Three different interchangeable  gold triggers, 12 chokes, about 2 of everything from cyl to super full but I never change them and use 1/2 & 1/2 all of the time.  Iv'e fitted the auto safe connector in the action. The barrels are mirror and the action is still pretty tight. It is a really stunning gun and I really like it but two of the son in laws who shoot hate it.  Although one of them never misses with it.  They both say that it feels weird to them in the hand.  It must be one of those Browning V Beretta things.  In fact both have said that when I croak it they are getting rid.  They'll regret it one day.

Edited by Minky

Like Sprucey I have a 325 sporter that was my Dad's. It has 70mm chambers and the chokes are marked for lead and steel with express warnings about going over half choke due to the pattern blowing. Not sure ring bulging was a thing back then when they wrote the manual for it.

I would be happy using standard steel through it.