Copper to mdf glue

RockySpears

I am trying to stick thin (0.1mm sheet) strips of copper to mdf.  I am using it to edge some splash back in the kitchen that has copper as a theme; lights, sockets, taps etc etc.  Some of the strips are vertical so I can't weight them down and the Gorilla glue I have tried cannot hold the copper's desire to curl.  I have smoothed the strips as best I can, but cannot get perfectly flat pieces.  Is there something I can get that has a better initial "grab", I need a little wriggle room when placing the strips in place to try and get the edges matching up, but after 20-30 seconds it can set.

Any glue experts here?  (not the sniffing kind)

Thank you,

RS

2 minutes ago, RockySpears said:

I am trying to stick thin (0.1mm sheet) strips of copper to mdf.  I am using it to edge some splash back in the kitchen that has copper as a theme; lights, sockets, taps etc etc.  Some of the strips are vertical so I can't weight them down and the Gorilla glue I have tried cannot hold the copper's desire to curl.  I have smoothed the strips as best I can, but cannot get perfectly flat pieces.  Is there something I can get that has a better initial "grab", I need a little wriggle room when placing the strips in place to try and get the edges matching up, but after 20-30 seconds it can set.

Any glue experts here?  (not the sniffing kind)

Thank you,

RS

Evostik Impact glue is very strong. Coat both pieces and leave to dry to the touch. I don't think you'll get 20-30 seconds though, once the two have been joined.

Edited by steve_b_wales

+1 for impact adhesive , as said, coat both surfaces and set them down until they are dry or almost dry to the touch, place the two surfaces together and they instantly bond together. This is both good news and bad, the bad is there is absolutely no working time so be sure before you place the surfaces together. 

Edited by Tonka54
TYPO

42 minutes ago, RockySpears said:

Would that set all the way under the strip?  Does it work its way into the glue?

RS

You’d spray one of your sides with activator and the other with the glue then when you push together it sets pretty quick, not sure you’d get enough adjusting time.

5 hours ago, JTaylor91 said:

You’d spray one of your sides with activator and the other with the glue then when you push together it sets pretty quick, not sure you’d get enough adjusting time.

Also the amount required for the area would seem prohibitive?

I go through loads of mitre bond with spray or stick activator but I’m not sure on its use for this?  

The only thing available is contact adhesive but it stands a chance it’ll still curl off. 
In the past we’ve struggled with metal/laminates . 
if you use a traditional contact adhesive you can put it all ( loads) on one side . Slip it together and pull it apart for 10 minutes before you push them together for the final bond .

3 hours ago, Blackpowder said:

If your problem is the copper curling due to its hard temper you could heat it to cherry red to anneal it.

The foil is curled because it comes tightly wound up for shipping.  I have reverse curled it but it still will not lay flat.  I have used a heat gun on it, but if I use a torch on it I am likely to end up with oxidisation marks on the sheet face.  I have gotten a selection of glues now so will try some tests to see which works best.

Will attempt some pictures when done,

Thanks,

RS