Flip tops work

Walker570

I was sent this photo of a flip top being visited. I gave this flip top to him a few weeks ago and already he has shot double figures off it which he has logged on here.

This was one of two of the first ones I made and I now have a dozen dotted about. Made from scrap ally or tin sheet and a few pop rivets, cheap and cheerful. No fancy hinge just a coat hanger through holes does the job. 

001.JPG

6 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

I was sent this photo of a flip top being visited. I gave this flip top to him a few weeks ago and already he has shot double figures off it which he has logged on here.

This was one of two of the first ones I made and I now have a dozen dotted about. Made from scrap ally or tin sheet and a few pop rivets, cheap and cheerful. No fancy hinge just a coat hanger through holes does the job. 

001.JPG

They soon learn where the food is and it’s a lot easier than wandering around aimlessly trying to find them, as they usually see you before you see them. Let them come to you!

23 hours ago, Walker570 said:

001.JPG

Walker 570 can you take us some more photos or drawings on how to recreate the “Walker 5.70 flip top tree rat entrapment device “ as now the season is over I have identified a few locations for these. With the instruction of the keeper and his son to fill my boots especially around the feeders !

Got some ideas of my own but interested in workings of the Walker 5.70

Agriv8

4 hours ago, Agriv8 said:

Walker 570 can you take us some more photos or drawings on how to recreate the “Walker 5.70 flip top tree rat entrapment device “ as now the season is over I have identified a few locations for these. With the instruction of the keeper and his son to fill my boots especially around the feeders !

Got some ideas of my own but interested in workings of the Walker 5.70

Agriv8

PM me an address and I will send you some paper cut outs and then all you need is a supply of metal sheet.  The galvanised notice boards on the sides of IBCs are ideal, the doors and sides of old defunct fridges, freezers etc also excellent.  A couple of 1ft lengths of 3 inch angle in a vice easily folds the necessary shape and then a coat hanger wire through holes in box and lid to act as hinge.   IF you can get an IBC then the corners act as excellent support braces to fix to trees with some scrap wood boards as a landing stage.  PHOTOS to follow.   You might be able to work out the construction from the photos. Very simple.

I drill 3/8th holes in the front for the song birds to help themseleves and act as decoys. The tree rats soon learn to lift the lid.  Had one dive in this morning and had to wait 30 minutes for it to pop out again. I shot it's mate as it stood on the landing stage waiting it's turn.  Four off flip tops this morning.

12 hours ago, NoBodyImportant said:

Is it a trap? 

NO, it allows the tree rats to come in and feed then sit nice and steady on the landing stage to make a clean head shot possible.  I have pirpose build hides(blinds) built within 20yrds or less where I can quietly sit them out. Flask of coffee and large pack of biscuits on the side table.  Great way to spend two or three hours as all sorts of wildlife comes around unaware of your presence. Often have one of our smalest birds, the Wren come into the hide and check the nooks and crannies for bugs.

OK lucky I had one in the yard. Hope the photos are self explanatory.  Basically a box with a hinged lid.  Note, I cut and fold the top lip back about half an inch so the tree rats can see the bait and learn to push the lid up which they do very quickly.  See how I use the corners of the IBC as a frame to support the whole thing on a tree and I drill a couple of holes where I can drive two hex headed wood screws into the tree. Using hex heads means much easier to get out as well.  No excuse now, get whacking and stacking.

001.JPG

002.JPG

003.JPG

005.JPG

006.JPG

007.JPG

4 hours ago, Walker570 said:

NO, it allows the tree rats to come in and feed then sit nice and steady on the landing stage to make a clean head shot possible.  I have pirpose build hides(blinds) built within 20yrds or less where I can quietly sit them out. Flask of coffee and large pack of biscuits on the side table.  Great way to spend two or three hours as all sorts of wildlife comes around unaware of your presence. Often have one of our smalest birds, the Wren come into the hide and check the nooks and crannies for bugs.

Oh ok, it’s a feeder 

Walker570 

recon I have enough odds and **** to get a number of Agriv8 items built ! I guess the weight of the lid needs to be heavy enough to stop wind flapping it about but not too heavy as not all the tree rats are “Arnold the tree rat shwartznager”

I will stick a post up in diy section after the bruising on wrist goes down after left leg found a very deep under the heather ditch up on the moors yesterday!

Agriv8

5 minutes ago, Agriv8 said:

Walker570 

recon I have enough odds and **** to get a number of Agriv8 items built ! I guess the weight of the lid needs to be heavy enough to stop wind flapping it about but not too heavy as not all the tree rats are “Arnold the tree rat shwartznager”

I will stick a post up in diy section after the bruising on wrist goes down after left leg found a very deep under the heather ditch up on the moors yesterday!

Agriv8

You will find that a basic 'tin' lid will do being hinged at the rear all the weight for what it is is at the front. You will not an extension at the back, that is to keep the rain out and also to prevent the lid being opened too far and staying open.  Have fun.

5 hours ago, Walker570 said:

Had one dive in this morning and had to wait 30 minutes for it to pop out again. I shot it's mate as it stood on the landing stage waiting it's turn.  Four off flip tops this morning.

Ha ha, that's why I'm putting smaller flip ups on mine now, stop them hiding inside and throwing the food around.

• 1 month later...

The Poo Pipe Tree rat feeders have been built just Need to get them mounted up.

All bits of left over soil pipe from pond plumbing- though Mrs Agriv8 wished to discuss the borrowing ‘terms’ for the plant pot saucers !

got a bag of bird peanuts 

Agriv8

F5C51568-4EDB-433C-AE37-4B5D6FD4C89E.jpeg

Edited by Agriv8

• 2 months later...