hard mouthed 3yr old lab

jcbbracken

38 minutes ago, jcbbracken said:

seen a 3 year old part trained lab for sale but it is hard mouthed can this be fixed 

How harder mouth is this Lab ? , just the odd tooth mark , or damage the retrieve ? , you say three years old , how much training have it had and have it got any other faults ? , if it have then I would be tempted to start afresh at three years old you might well have a job on your hands. 

After 3 years it will be hard to fix. You would need to find out of it clamps down straight away or if it clamps down because it doesn't want to give up the retrieve. The latter may be fixable if you want a project but the former is not likely to be fixable, especially not at 3 years old.

If it is hard mouthed through not giving the bird to hand then I am pretty certain there will be other issues as the original owner has not done the work with the dog.  I have seen it three or four times this season where dogs have never been allowed off leads and continue to pull and yank at the lead on the gun bus with not a single repremand.

Leave it B and look for another dog. Definite!!

It's the original owner that needs re training.

Edited by Walker570

As everyone else has said ,  leave dog. No cure for hard mouth, if its puncturing, crunching birds. older that dog gets worse he'll get with hard mouth.  I have seen springers fierce hunters, but hard mouthed ********.. So basically good for nothing. So you have no chance with a lab that most of his work is retrieving!. But I bet hes a mighty dog for marking,  and finding game.

I have never come across anyone who has satisfactorily cured hard mouth. It is generally symptomatic of other problems which will manifest themselves over time. Walk away and look for something younger without inherent faults. There is no substitute for starting with a pup and putting the effort in unless you have a bulging wallet.

Good luck!