Syndicate prices.

I'm looking to join a syndicate for the coming season, and I'm wondering basically the variations in prices. 

I am not interested in huge bags and would prefer a small diy syndicate to join as a working gun. 

I do beating on a shoot already and have been offered a place but cannot afford it. 

speaking to various people,  I have learned that some are paying as little as 300 quid per season for their syndicates, but these are like rocking horse **** and by invitation only. 

I already struggle getting no permissions for pigeons and now I appear to be priced out of game shoots too. 

(I'm based in Northumberland) just for reference. 

Cheers

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To be blunt, It’s an expensive hobby.

Lots of people moaning about the price of driven shooting on the FB groups at the moment. 

It costs what it costs, and if you don’t take the days / places then often it seems someone else will.

Same thing with deer stalking syndicates, rough shooting, and most other hobbies tbh.

One of the biggest issues I have experienced from syndicates isn’t people putting the money in, it’s people actually willing to put the work in.

Sadly lots of messers about!  

There is now less shooting available than is needed so prices will only go up.

As Lloyd says it is what it is and you either buy in or don't.

Those of us that do, spend our money wisely and the horror stories of poor or non existent days and money lost seem to have come to an end.

I will start booking in May for the coming season and will start to off days to guests from now.

Good luck.

Our syndicate jumped up to £545 this year. Walk one stand one, shoot 10 days plus a walk around in 1st Feb, bag returns 500 (=10 x 50 bird days). 

Cost increase due to wheat being £200+ and poults going up 60p. 

This, couldn’t say it any better - “One of the biggest issues I have experienced from syndicates isn’t people putting the money in, it’s people actually willing to put the work in.”

Helping with vermin (shooting foxes and pigeons)  ISN’T the type of work that most syndicates need. 

Edited by markm

You can't judge a syndicate on price alone. We charge £1500 for 6 x 80 bird days. Some may say its expensive and they can get a syndicate place for £400 but it's probably a case of comparing apples with oranges.

If you want a cheap day out it's probably on a completely different type of syndicate to ours. 

Last year I talked to a shooter who was on a syndicate near me in Northumberland, he was on the cheapest syndicate I'd ever heard of. If memory serves me right it was about a £100 maybe a little more. But its probably not the type of place you are after. 

I'm in 2 syndicates,  Walk one stand one £400 8 days 20 to 30 birds....some days you may not  get a chance of a shot, BUT A GREAT DAY OUT! The other  £2.5k 1/2  gun 4 days 200 bird days, plenty of Shooting and A GREAT DAY OUT!  I enjoy both shoots, probably the walk one stand one more, because I have chance to work my dog. 

You pays your money and takes your chance, I'm amazed how many small shoots there are around, to get in maybe offer beating for free and connect with people and ask around. 

Amazing how many people on here are regaling us with tales of their  >£2.5k shoots when the OP clearly stated he was after a DIY syndicate.

That said...

12 hours ago, TVPC said:

I am not interested in huge bags and would prefer a small diy syndicate to join as a working gun. 

I do beating on a shoot already and have been offered a place but cannot afford it. 

Can you really, though?

Work parties don't half eat into your Saturdays and evenings.  Are you sure you you couldn't do some overtime at your work instead of hefting bags of wheat about and mending pens?

Also, better the devil you know...

54 minutes ago, udderlyoffroad said:

Amazing how many people on here are regaling us with tales of their  >£2.5k shoots when the OP clearly stated he was after a DIY syndicate.

That said...

Can you really, though?

Work parties don't half eat into your Saturdays and evenings.  Are you sure you you couldn't do some overtime at your work instead of hefting bags of wheat about and mending pens?

Also, better the devil you know...

To be fair, the OP hasn’t said what sort of syndicate cost he is looking for or what sort of return he is expecting. 

The above posts are quite useful to see what others are paying, and what sort of returns they get for there money. 

“Can’t afford it” may relate to a £2000+ syndicate or one that’s £500 for the year. 

If the OP is looking for a game shooting syndicate for £300 or less I would of thought he would struggle.

With 10 guns that’s only £3,000, once you build some pens, put down birds and buy feed it’s a very small number of birds. The likely returns and the cost per bird for each gun would end up being massive. 

Also it appears that Ninjaferret gave him a contact for one and he never replied. Bit disappointing. 

3 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Lloyd, I would politely suggest if he is looking on here, he is probably not looking to spend thousands!

I agree. 

It would be helpful if he says what the cost of the syndicate he was offered was, and a rough idea of what he is looking for. 

13 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

To be blunt, It’s an expensive hobby.

Lots of people moaning about the price of driven shooting on the FB groups at the moment. 

It costs what it costs, and if you don’t take the days / places then often it seems someone else will.

Same thing with deer stalking syndicates, rough shooting, and most other hobbies tbh.

One of the biggest issues I have experienced from syndicates isn’t people putting the money in, it’s people actually willing to put the work in.

Sadly lots of messers about!  

Spot on.     I shoot on average 20 driven days a year and most of these I book through an agent (Richard Gray  Premier Game Days). I have run syndicates for over 30 years in the past and know a) what it costs  and b) how few of the guns seem to turn up on work days, so  arranged a discount for all days attended, deducted from the following seasons payment.  OHHHHHHH!!!!   the weeping and wailing and guess who from.

Game shooting is an expensive hobby and like me you have to give up all sorts of other expensive things in order to take part. 

8 hours ago, WalkedUp said:

Our syndicate in North Wales has been £325 per season for the last two seasons but is likely going up to £400 this season. Shooting 13 game dates plus vermin, deer etc, it is basically free. 

Would you be kind enough to put me on your waiting/reserves list. . . . I can PM you with my details if there is a chance. Cheers

2 hours ago, Walker570 said:

Game shooting is an expensive hobby and like me you have to give up all sorts of other expensive things in order to take part. 

Doesn’t have to be; if you’re prepared to trade money for time.  The OP clearly stated he is in that category, but struggling to find the right syndicate.

I pointed out that it may be a better use of his time to put some extra hours in at work, to be able to actually afford the syndicate he does have a place on.

But then what do I know, I shoot a Turkish shotgun at a DIY Shoot which costs £450 for 10 days a year.  Even if I was offered a place on a ‘pay money and just turn up’ shoot, I’d still prefer what I have now, as it gets me out from behind a desk.

1 hour ago, udderlyoffroad said:

Doesn’t have to be; if you’re prepared to trade money for time.  The OP clearly stated he is in that category, but struggling to find the right syndicate.

I pointed out that it may be a better use of his time to put some extra hours in at work, to be able to actually afford the syndicate he does have a place on.

But then what do I know, I shoot a Turkish shotgun at a DIY Shoot which costs £450 for 10 days a year.  Even if I was offered a place on a ‘pay money and just turn up’ shoot, I’d still prefer what I have now, as it gets me out from behind a desk.

100% agree.  The syndicates I ran maxed out at £600 a year and included open access year round also for stalking. A 60 bird day was red letter but we had some great times.