Syndicate prices.

50 minutes ago, WalkedUp said:

I believe @JDog‘s young friend Jacko was or is a member of NPPC. My pal @worrall26was a member but the land was too far and we have our own permissions (lacking in OSR sadly). 

Yes he is or rather was a member. However it seems to suit him better to let me drive 300 miles per week looking for pigeons then turning up on a weekend to shoot them.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you have a mate who works on a farm ? If so Try and do what we did , a mate of mine works on a farm and we built a release pen for his boss , we put the work in , in the wood keeping things clear opening tracks taking care of fallen / dangerous trees , vermin control etc , mate does the keepering duties feeding , watering etc his boss pays for the poults and food , and lays on the hospitality side of things , we get 4or 5 days per season but what with other things going on it’s enough,

On 05/02/2022 at 11:08, JDog said:

Yes he is or rather was a member. However it seems to suit him better to let me drive 300 miles per week looking for pigeons then turning up on a weekend to shoot them.

That made me smile, Jacko’s a lucky man. I enjoy finding them almost as much as shooting them, incredibly satisfying especially when you happen upon a really promising situation. 
So many people don’t realise the miles/hours you have to put in if you want to shoot regularly (without drawing blanks)

• 3 weeks later...
On 02/02/2022 at 07:54, WalkedUp said:

Our syndicate in North Wales has been £325 per season for the last two seasons but is likely going up to £400 this season. Shooting 13 game dates plus vermin, deer etc, it is basically free. 

Wouldnt mind a bit of that 

Just now, WalkedUp said:

Yes, futures are trading high. Concerned that we have set the price and birds, money is paid. 

With Pakistan buying all the Russian Wheat I can only see prices going one way and to think we give them £300 million a year in aid.  Putin needs a bullet quickly.

On 08/02/2022 at 20:01, Wilts#Dave said:

That made me smile, Jacko’s a lucky man. I enjoy finding them almost as much as shooting them, incredibly satisfying especially when you happen upon a really promising situation. 
So many people don’t realise the miles/hours you have to put in if you want to shoot regularly (without drawing blanks)

I always did , and still do find that on average it work out two days looking for one days shooting , sometimes more and very rarely less ,and that is going solo , if you are taking someone with you then it could involve several days as you need a plan b and sometimes plan c if things go wrong .

I took Alan ( Lakeside ) with me once on two fields of Rape stubble that were beside each other so we could have a field each , I kept a eye on the fields for a few days and numbers were building up nicely , both of us were in the position where we could go any day of the week , we planned to go the Friday and the weather was bang on , the Thursday I checked them again and it was looking good , possibly a three figure bag between us , I then went up the farm to check it was going to be left alone the following day and according to the tractor driver it was ok as he was going somewhere else .

On the Friday it was a perfect Summers day , a warm wind and no signs of rain , when we pulled up to the fields we could see a nice lot of Pigeons going on and just as many going off , ideal , we went on a different field each and it wasn't long before we were into the action , we had shot about 20 each when a big Cattapilla tractor came down the track with a brand new cultavator on the back , he pulled into the field and started to set up this brand new bit of equipment , before long he started to break up the stubble and then stopped and adjusted something , this went on for a hour or so and finally I walked over to ask how long he would be , he said it  came to the farm unexpected and the farm manager said go and try it out on the rape stubble and he was likely to be most of the day , so as far as pigeon shooting it was game over .

As luck would have it I had some fresh cut Wheat stubble as a back up about a mile over on the same block of marshes so we up stumps and went over to the Wheat stubble and had the rest of the day problem free , still had a fair bit of shooting and we finished with a bag of 80 odd . 

12 hours ago, WalkedUp said:

Yes, futures are trading high. Concerned that we have set the price and birds, money is paid. 

We may have to just reduce number of birds that we take (even if we have to pay the full price and just take fewer) - I suppose we'll just have to wait and see what the situation is closer to the time !

1 minute ago, robbiep said:

We may have to just reduce number of birds that we take (even if we have to pay the full price and just take fewer) - I suppose we'll just have to wait and see what the situation is closer to the time !

Agree. Price is fixed, if we end up having to donate some birds to the dealer due to affordability of feed then that’s that. It’s priced upon expensive pre-bagged wheat from my local feed store so there is plenty of scope to find cheaper suppliers too. 

21 hours ago, WalkedUp said:

I think we will all just have to put the price up or cut our cloth accordingly

To us on our shoot we have said stuff it - it is what is 

Our little piece of enjoyment in a world that becoming truly mad

9 hours ago, WalkedUp said:

Agree. Price is fixed, if we end up having to donate some birds to the dealer due to affordability of feed then that’s that. It’s priced upon expensive pre-bagged wheat from my local feed store so there is plenty of scope to find cheaper suppliers too. 

Yes and little mercy on the biggest corn thieves - the bloody squirrels !

Well I think I have almost filled my diary for the 22 driven season.  I only shoot 100-150 bird days with an occasional 200 bird partridge day...just the one this season. I buy all of my days separately through Premier Game Days with a couple at Catton.  Over all of the days I can only see about a 5% increase on last year, although I have as yet not had prices from Catton if we do manage to get a day but told that their main days have gone up to £45 a bird. so we may not be there this season , we will see. 

10 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Well I think I have almost filled my diary for the 22 driven season.  I only shoot 100-150 bird days with an occasional 200 bird partridge day...just the one this season. I buy all of my days separately through Premier Game Days with a couple at Catton.  Over all of the days I can only see about a 5% increase on last year, although I have as yet not had prices from Catton if we do manage to get a day but told that their main days have gone up to £45 a bird. so we may not be there this season , we will see. 

The cheapest I have been quoted so far is £42/44. 
Our mutual friend has been booking for clients at £55+vat.

12 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Cannot blame them if there are people willing to part with their money. Like fleece jackets. I have one which cost me £12 but it doesn't have a makers name embroidered on the shoulder. Does the same job. 

All of my days are below £40

Exactly, it’s the same as anything else. 

If they charge too much or people can’t afford it they won’t sell the days and they’ll fold as a business. 

It seems the days are selling, the shoot owners are happy. 

I doubt the shoot owners care if driven shooting is affordable to the ‘working man’ or not, as long as someone buys the days. 

14 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Yes.  It is a business not a free hand out.  Game shooting is my main pleasure, don't smoke, don't overly drink (shot of scotch in the evening) don't go to football matches (amazed how much that costs) hence I have a few extra bob to spend on shooting.

Seems we have the same business model!