In think I might have rats!

ilovemyheckler

On 02/02/2022 at 19:17, ilovemyheckler said:

I think I might have rats under the dog kennels.

1. How do I  confirm that I have a rat issue? Should I get a trailcm?

2. How do I get rid of them? I can't use poison as I have 3 dogs.

We live on a housing estate so have neighbours.

Thanks

Firstly, to know if you have rats. Well there should be signs around the kennels. Rat runs should be visible. Also holes, droppings etc. Take some pictures and put them up here.

How to get rid of them?  Well, as already mentioned, traps is what I would use. Fenn's, or even break backs will to the job. Few box's or tunnels of the appropriate size, for the trap being used, and they will work all year round. 

Also mentioned already, is the fact that there is a need to eliminate the food source. Two things rats need to survive and multiply. That's food, and shelter. Eliminate one, or both, will help get rid of rats. You mentioned about there might be rats under the kennels. Well can't do much about that, but the food source should be something you can eliminate. 

Another thing I've seen In the past that rats can feed off, and that's dog dirt. Make sure that is disposed of properly and regularly. Remember, rats will eat absolutely anything. They'd eat yourself, given half the chance. 

If your worried about your dogs then a live catch cage might be the answer. I make up a peanut feeder in the front of mine and it works very well.  No chance of trapping dogs noses or feet.   A cage is about £25-30 but they are very well made and will last a lifetime.  Just an air rifle to finish the job.  Acrually had one this morning in one of mine.-

Thanks for the replies.

We definitely have rats as we saw one run from under the kennel down the path.

There are definitely areas under the kennel where they have been digging. I can't understand why they are there as there is no food source. The dogs rarely go in the kennel (only for a short while when the daycare man brings them home late afternoon before we get home) and are never fed in there. 

I have 3 springers.

Would one cage do the job or would I need more?

We now have mice in the garage! Both my pheasant skin dummies have been chewed 

As said there gettin g food and shelter break the cycle and there gone . Fen traps or body grippers in a cubby or even a bait box dogs wont get into that 

As ive 3 freezers and bags of dog food in the garage ive mouse traps set in the shed and garage they pick up the odd one but i think they are better dealt with before you notice thiere there a  you have a problem 

A mate at work reckoned he had a rat under his decking as next door fed the birds and he noticed one I had a look and he didnt want traps down so i put a bait box down  6 boxes of poision later its still being eaten LOL 

On 06/02/2022 at 11:41, ilovemyheckler said:

We now have mice in the garage! Both my pheasant skin dummies have been chewed 

I have 4 mouse traps down at all times in my garage,  you won't have rats and mice in the same space though which is something,  but I would wire the mouse traps to something just in case a rat does come in.

I use peanut butter on my mouse traps, but I'd just use oats in your live catch trap otherwise you'll probably get birds in it, or mice taking the bait.

The biggest source of food for rats in urban gardens are bird feeders. Traps wont work, yes you will catch rats but not anywhere near enough and they will soon wise up to the traps.

The only answer is 

a} stop their other food sources

b} commercial strength poison in secure feeders. It wont kill dogs or cats . Get on to your council, they have a duty to come out and deal with infestations