Starting a Squirrel Dog

First step in training a Squirrel dog is being able to introduce a squirrel in a controlled manner. This includes teaching the dog to bark up into the tree after the squirrel has been treed. To start I use a live trap showing the dog 4 to 6 squirrels one at a time over a 2 week period. If after these squirrels the dog is having problems associating the tree with the squirrel I will let him run a squirrel tube for a week.

cody1.jpg

Cody2.jpg

cody3.jpg

Once you have a squirrel in the trap,

cody4.jpg

it is best to set everything up before bringing the dog on site. In this case we are going to use the squirrel in the trap with a long line attached for raising it off the ground. This will start the dog looking upwards and into the tree for the squirrel.

cody5.jpg

Once all is ready bring the dog in on lead and let him see the squirrel in the trap. A really keen dog will pull on the lead trying to reach the trap and will be barking at the squirrel. Encourage the barking with lots of praise.

cody6.jpg

cody7.jpg

When the dog is excited about the squirrel and is barking well either have a helper raise the trap about 12 feet off the ground or tie the dog back while you raise the trap, and then once again bring the dog forward so that he is looking up and encourage him to bark. This exercise is even better if you have a leaning trunk that you can pull the cage up, showing the dog the squirrrel going up the trunk. Once the dog is looking up and standing on the tree, raise the trap another 12 feet to teach him to look higher up. Continue to praise and pet him and to encourage him to bark with lots of "thata boy", "good dog", "where is he".

cody8.jpg

cody9.jpg

Now that the dog has started to look up into the tree it is time to show him that they can be found on the ground running for the tree. This will start the dog sight chasing , but you will find he will use his nose as he starts to wonder where the squirrel has gone . Usually you will see him scenting around the tree, and the ground on the first release. Set your trap on the ground roughly 20 yards from the base of a tree and bring your dog in on a lead. This is best if you use a single standing tree as this will guarantee that the squirrel runs for the tree you want to work, and it will keep your dog from getting confused in the beginning.

cody10.jpg

Open the cage and when the squirrel is 5 feet from reaching the tree release your dog. This allows the dog to ground chase and see the squirrel climb the tree. The dog will follow the squirrel right up the trunk and end standing on the tree.

cody11.jpg

cody12.jpg

Encourage him to look up and to bark.

cody13.jpg

Encourage him to stand on the tree, with lots of praise and petting. If he leaves the tree trunk continue to encourage him and tap the trunk with your hand to get him back on.

cody14.jpg

cody15.jpg

cody16.jpg

Between squirrels get out into the woods early morning, just as the sun comes up. This is the best time to find squirrels on the forest flour. Approach quietly and once your dog sees a squirrel release him and let him chase. The more squirrels he sees and runs the faster he will learn about following scent and barking on the tree. A wild ran squirrel will climb the tree to a safe branch and then sit and scolled the dog allowing you to take your time to harvest him. Remember to have your dog broke to the gun before shooting squirrels to him.

I find it is best to allow the dog to have a shake on the dead squirrel when it hits the floor as this is his reward for a job well done. Some will ignor them once they are shot and others will retrieve them to you before heading out to find another. Never be in a hurry to shoot the squirrel that your dog has treeded, in many cases squirrels that are up in trees close to the one that is scolding will come out and join in the commotion allowing several squirrels to be shot with a silenced air rifle.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have a working cocker who simply knows when a squirrel is in a tree, and waits untill I shoot it for him. Dog has eaten 200+ this year ( + 100 rabbits) lightly cooked in olive oil keeping him in good condition, so much so the keeper feeds them raw is dogs to improve condition for the shooting season. Only problem is squirrel fleas took ages to get rid of them :good:

• 1 year later...
I have a working cocker who simply knows when a squirrel is in a tree, and waits untill I shoot it for him. Dog has eaten 200+ this year ( + 100 rabbits) lightly cooked in olive oil keeping him in good condition, so much so the keeper feeds them raw is dogs to improve condition for the shooting season. Only problem is squirrel fleas took ages to get rid of them :rolleyes:

HI

I have a patterdale x jack called TARA,

she is about 2 1/2 yrs old, she is very good on the squirrels she will let me know if one has just fled up a tree by standing on her back legs & leanlng on the tree trunk with her front leg ,wineing, looking up intensley,

I creep through the woods with tara on a lead so she does not go bolting of at 100 mph as soon as she sees one on the ground, she sees them before me ,& it gives me a chance to get a shot in , if two are on the ground then once one is shot I will slip the lead and she will watch the outher one as it bolts up the trees, I use a normal soft thin lead with no dog coller Just slip the handle loop over head and the clip I clip onto my side pocket , slmple but very efective,

will try to put up some photos of tara and her most hated friend Mr squizzer /

cheers ,Dan.

• 2 weeks later...

I have two bitch springers that i have taken hunting squrzzers from pup and now they are brilliant markers and spotters and they actually climb trees at times molly the better of the two once climbed twenty foot before she fell so now i have to watch them like a hawk but if the see one up a tree then they constantly run at the tree trying to climb it

My little jack russell loves squirrels,it started in a park a year ago when mother in law walked him in a local park and he caught and ragged one in front of every one on a sunny saturday afternoon, he has since caught and killed numerous when out bushing in woods and on walks. He is also very good on the chase and marking them up trees he even chases them as they run through the tree tops so i can give the does of 12b rash. He just picked all this up by himself although i have trained him for rabbit pheasent fox rat and a few other discernables, good old terriers eh!

• 7 months later...

I must point out this training method is totally illeagal in the UK once the sqirrel is in the trap YOU are resposible for its welfare and must ensure that it is humanely dispatched introducing a dog on or off a lead would be construed as baiting if you shot it with an airgun you could then do what you want with it.The terrier would not be too fussed that it was dead if you let it worry the carcase this is how we train the terriers to fox (among other methods).

• 1 year later...

HI

I have a patterdale x jack called TARA,

she is about 2 1/2 yrs old, she is very good on the squirrels she will let me know if one has just fled up a tree by standing on her back legs & leanlng on the tree trunk with her front leg ,wineing, looking up intensley,

I creep through the woods with tara on a lead so she does not go bolting of at 100 mph as soon as she sees one on the ground, she sees them before me ,& it gives me a chance to get a shot in , if two are on the ground then once one is shot I will slip the lead and she will watch the outher one as it bolts up the trees, I use a normal soft thin lead with no dog coller Just slip the handle loop over head and the clip I clip onto my side pocket , slmple but very efective,

will try to put up some photos of tara and her most hated friend Mr squizzer /

cheers ,Dan.

I have a lurcher who just catches them, she must have got atleast 100 by now and if she misses them then she just sits down at the botto, of the tree, waiting for me to come and shoot em!!!!