Smith & Wesson M&P 15 22

steve_b_wales

2 minutes ago, Newbie to this said:

I would go with the angled grip.

I had a vertical one and changed for an angled and get on much better with it.

Too late to cancel my order, but I take on board what you've suggested, and if I don't like the vertical grip, I'll get an angled one.

Thanks.

6 hours ago, team tractor said:

what ammo are you using ? I used mini mags 

I used to use mini magsbut found the accuracy to be lacking, I now use eley action subs, there is also a HV version, eley action plus. Might be worth giving them a try, they are cheaper than the CCI as well :good: (or they were last time I bought some)

1 hour ago, Newbie to this said:

I used to use mini magsbut found the accuracy to be lacking, I now use eley action subs, there is also a HV version, eley action plus. Might be worth giving them a try, they are cheaper than the CCI as well :good: (or they were last time I bought some)

Just to try the rifle out, I used CCI Blazer ammunition. I'm not sure how accurate it was/is yet. I've fitted a scope and will zero it on the farm once the weather gets better. I've got a few different brands of high and hyper velocity ammunition to try, but I'm hoping that the Blazer ammo' will be okay as I've hot almost 1000 rounds.

I've just received the adapter I ordered to convert the barrel thread to 1/2"x20UNF so I can try one of my moderators. I don't know how good it will be cycling sub's, but have been told that it's good.

Edited by steve_b_wales

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE:

I finally managed to get up the farm to zero the new scope on my rifle. I used Blazer ammo' which is usually okay, but found that the rifle wasn't fussed on it. I had a few close groups and then a few all over the target by a few inches. I know it was windy up there, which of course is not the best time to try it, but even so, I had tight groups and then a few with quite a few gaps in them. I'll see what other HV ammunition I have and try them. The annoying part is, I've got approx 700 rounds of Blazer which will probably be no good to me now.

3 minutes ago, steve_b_wales said:

UPDATE:

I finally managed to get up the farm to zero the new scope on my rifle. I used Blazer ammo' which is usually okay, but found that the rifle wasn't fussed on it. I had a few close groups and then a few all over the target by a few inches. I know it was windy up there, which of course is not the best time to try it, but even so, I had tight groups and then a few with quite a few gaps in them. I'll see what other HV ammunition I have and try them. The annoying part is, I've got approx 700 rounds of Blazer which will probably be no good to me now.

Why no good? It's not meant to be accurate.

7 minutes ago, oowee said:

Why no good? It's not meant to be accurate.

I know. Even allowing for the odd strong breeze, I could not get it to group. For example, after zeroing the scope, and getting the bullets to strike in the centre, a few other's hot a 9'oclock/11 o'clock. I will try again on a less windy day and a more secluded/wind protected area. I will take some other ammo' brands as well just to see how they are.

9 minutes ago, steve_b_wales said:

I know. Even allowing for the odd strong breeze, I could not get it to group. For example, after zeroing the scope, and getting the bullets to strike in the centre, a few other's hot a 9'oclock/11 o'clock. I will try again on a less windy day and a more secluded/wind protected area. I will take some other ammo' brands as well just to see how they are.

If it groups and then not it sounds like it might be a mount or other issue. ?

I have the something similar with a 008 and a T1X hmr. 

25 minutes ago, oowee said:

If it groups and then not it sounds like it might be a mount or other issue. ?

I have the something similar with a 008 and a T1X hmr. 

Not necessarily, I had similar using CCI mini mags. I would get a group of around 3 or 4 then a couple of flyers, 2 to 3 inches out from the group. This was from a rested position, on a rest with front and back rests, so rifle was steady.

I changed to Eley action subs and the groups got tighter with no flyers.

I could probably get tighter groups if I experimented with different ammo, but the eley action grouping is sufficient for the discipline I shot with the rifle (no live quarry).