CHAMBER LENGTH

DUNKS

Any of you guys know how far back three inch 12g black powder cartridges were used please?

I have a set of very old Damascus 12g barrels which I have only just realized have three inch chambers. OK they could have been altered from new but I have a feeling that they are original.

Thanks.

24 minutes ago, DUNKS said:

Any of you guys know how far back three inch 12g black powder cartridges were used please?

I have a set of very old Damascus 12g barrels which I have only just realized have three inch chambers. OK they could have been altered from new but I have a feeling that they are original.

Thanks.

Your "very old" suggests that you'd have trouble finding out as I think I'm right in saying that the reproof marks did not come in until 1925 so hopefully your gut feeling will be correct.

1 hour ago, Pushandpull said:

My Jefffery (hammer damascus) is engraved under the barrels : 3" Case     4 Drams 1 1/2 oz. Obviously original but I don't know the date. It's a quality gun with 32" barrels and original sling eyes.

Thanks. That's a heck of a load in an old gun "109 grains". I shoot 70grains out of mine to be safe and I can break all the clays at the shooting ground I use. Would perhaps need a drop more for game.

I had a very quick look through the book case. Henry Sharp ("Practical Wildfowling", 1895) writes of both paper case 3" guns - he mentions the Tolley Altro by name - and the Evans Special Kynoch gun for brass cases, with loads of 4 drams/1 1/2oz or 4 1/2 drams/1 5/8oz. Smokeless powders were just coming in at that time and are discussed.

Payne-Gallwey, writing a few years earlier, only talks of 1 1/4 oz loads for 12s but he says little as he was obsessed by puntguns.

Just wondering if those older guns were in fact `Pigeon Guns` used for the live pigeon competitions which generally used heavier guns and possibly with longer chambers. Just a thought.

I`m sure others more in the know could advise on this.

OB

5 minutes ago, Old Boggy said:

Just wondering if those older guns were in fact `Pigeon Guns` used for the live pigeon competitions which generally used heavier guns and possibly with longer chambers. Just a thought.

I`m sure others more in the know could advise on this.

OB

Good question, I too have wondered this. I have a book with live pigeon shooting in it "somewhere"

DUNKS - I use all my guns. The Jeffery runs on 1 1/4 oz bismuth these days. It was re-proved at 850 bar a while ago.

Old Boggy - I think not. These guns were advertised as long case guns for shore shooting. Live pigeon guns of this era were I believe heavy but 2 3/4" chambered as far as I know. Back in the day rules were no doubt slacker : in my youth I once owned an 8 bore ML gun for pigeons (no ram rod) which weighed just 7 1/2 lbs. It threw an excellent pattern with 1 1/2 oz or thereabout.