Longthorne Guns - Faults and Terrible Customer Service

Duffryn

2 minutes ago, Fellside said:

Well done to Jim for standing by his product (eventually) and to you for a dignified response. 

I’m amazed this thread has generated such interest. I suppose it just shows how many have been following the Longthorne story. 

May I suggest £1000 to the Game and Wildlife Conservation Trust?

Thanks Fellside - I'll happily run with whatever the majority suggest by midnight on the 9th Feb for the charitable donation 

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

31 minutes ago, ditchman said:

think Longthorne should make a no-nonsense pigeon / decoy gun...no arty farty engraving...just something that will take on the elements and the scratches and knocks, and drop pigeons out of the skies.........

you saw it here first 

Good point Simon

All the old makers did just that. OK some where renamed Midland for example. I have a very nice Army and Navy 16 gauge box lock but it is bottom rung of the ladder Sub Ltn  not General but there is little doubt the same passion went into making it.  I believe Westley Richards made most of the Army and Navy guns.

Still, if these small makers can find the well heeled to spend their pennies then more grease to their elbow, there are plenty of Turks willing to turn out reasonably priced guns which still do the job required and some with some very nice engraving.

The posh version of my 410 is only just over £2000.

21 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Good point Simon

All the old makers did just that. OK some where renamed Midland for example. I have a very nice Army and Navy 16 gauge box lock but it is bottom rung of the ladder Sub Ltn  not General but there is little doubt the same passion went into making it.  I believe Westley Richards made most of the Army and Navy guns.

Still, if these small makers can find the well heeled to spend their pennies then more grease to their elbow, there are plenty of Turks willing to turn out reasonably priced guns which still do the job required and some with some very nice engraving.

The posh version of my 410 is only just over £2000.

Hi just for information, no doubt Westley Richard did make some guns for as did other Birmingham makers. A&N the main makers are WC Scott then Webley & Scott and Midland 

3 hours ago, TK421 said:

Personally I suggest we don’t delete it as a positive resolution was reached, maybe add that to the thread topic “Longthorne Guns - Faults and Terrible Customer Service NOW RESOLVED” or something?

it’s important that people get to read the thread and see the final outcome, just my thought of course, plus a lot of members contributed a lot of time, would be shame to just delete it.

well done Longthorne for stepping up and resolving this, as mentioned this is/was a great opportunity to show how good you guys really are. Wether or not it was due to social media pressure or not, the right decision was made in the end, this also provides a signpost to other manufacturers out there of how things should be done. 

Lessons learnt by all involved.

a positive use of social media for once, quite refreshing Id say. 

Thanks - The title change is a good idea, I cannot seem to do that myself - Admins is this possible ?

Well I am pleased that you got a result, I am impressed that Longthorn posted their reply, that can't have been easy, but it was needed. As a said I was in their mailing list circa 2010 and downloaded their brochure as recently as 2 months ago and know Chris Potter has them in stock, I always say they will have to prise my Perazzi out of my dead fingers ...but you never know 

2 hours ago, alan123shooting said:

Hi just for information, no doubt Westley Richard did make some guns for as did other Birmingham makers. A&N the main makers are WC Scott then Webley & Scott and Midland 

There is no doubt we are both correct because if you had the opportunity to visit the gun quarter as I did back in the 1950s and then later in the 60s you will know that almost all the different parts for guns made in Birmingham would be made by individual artisans.  It was fiscinating for a young boy to climb those wooden spiral stairs and through each doorway see another 'smith' at his bench.  Alas it has now almost all disappeared. I have only driven across the fly over recently which overshadows Price Street.    My first visit was with my Grandfather in the milk van after deliveries to a shop in Steelhouse Lane almost opposite the Lockup which is now being turned into a museum. I think it was C H Smith. I was about 10 or 12 at the time just after the war.

4 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

There is no doubt we are both correct because if you had the opportunity to visit the gun quarter as I did back in the 1950s and then later in the 60s you will know that almost all the different parts for guns made in Birmingham would be made by individual artisans.  It was fiscinating for a young boy to climb those wooden spiral stairs and through each doorway see another 'smith' at his bench.  Alas it has now almost all disappeared. I have only driven across the fly over recently which overshadows Price Street.    My first visit was with my Grandfather in the milk van after deliveries to a shop in Steelhouse Lane almost opposite the Lockup which is now being turned into a museum. I think it was C H Smith. I was about 10 or 12 at the time just after the war.

Wow, incredible bit of nostalgia there. Would of loved to of visited back then. 

22 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

I managed to get the history of my A&N from Edinburgh university who hold the records. my gun was made by Midlands along with fifteen other guns on the page in 1947, and sold for £64 10s a lot of money in 1947 however it great that the OP has got the result he wanted well done 

4 hours ago, Fellside said:

Well done to Jim for standing by his product (eventually) and to you for a dignified response. 

I’m amazed this thread has generated such interest. I suppose it just shows how many have been following the Longthorne story. 

May I suggest £1000 to the Game and Wildlife Conservation Trust?

I was going to suggest GWCT too. 

6 hours ago, Longthorne said:

We are entering this post rather late, this situation has not been handled at all well by myself or Longthorne. Hands up we messed up here and I’m very sorry.

Longthorne has grown rapidly over the years and like any new and expanding business there have been some growing pains during that time, lots of lessons a huge number of things we have got right and unfortunately some that we have not. This example definitely falls into the later. Mr Burgess  was desperate to get his guns for an important shooting day and some of our usual checks were bi passed resulting in a less than perfect buying experience for him, a valuable lesson. Poor communications on both our parts compounded those difficulties and positions became entrenched. We used to  offer a 1 year warranty on our wood but after a series of suspicious claims in the last month of the warranty we withdrew that warranty and instead used a common sense approach very much like other premium brands in the market. That common sense approach failed here.

I personally make huge efforts to go beyond the extra mile to ensure our customers are happy with their Longthorne gun and this example is not typical of the service that Longthorne offer. In fact one of Mr Burgesses frustrations with us was that he knew a large number of people who had had an amazing post sale experience with us and were delighted with their Longthorne guns -he just wanted to be one of those people – we messed this up.

I have telephoned Mr Burgess and we spoke for an hour or so about what happened , what should have happened and how we put this right. Mr Burgess is now a happy customer.

This has been a valuable lesson for all concerned and one that on our part we have defiantly learned from.

Thank you for your support

James Stewart MD

Longthorne (Gunmakers) Ltd

A very well written response. As a business owner I am impressed @Longthorne took responsibility and didn’t try to blame an errant employee etc. 

1 hour ago, alan123shooting said:

I managed to get the history of my A&N from Edinburgh university who hold the records. my gun was made by Midlands along with fifteen other guns on the page in 1947, and sold for £64 10s a lot of money in 1947 however it great that the OP has got the result he wanted well done 

Details of  my Army and Navy came from Glasgow Uni I am sure.

Blackpowder

25 minutes ago, Agriv8 said:

Re donation - how about looking if longhorns sponsor a younger shooter in any way ?

a donation to his shooting or training time / cartridges?

think the gesture works for both sides that have made the amicable solution?

just an idea regards Agriv8 ?

Blimey, would they give an extremely expensive gun to a youngster?

I’m pleased this has been resolved in the best possible manner.
I have always admired Longthorne guns at game fairs, and even handled one at Lowther, which is the closest I’ll ever get to one. 
If by some stroke of good fortune I am ever able to afford one, I’ll perhaps commission them to make their first box lock. 😉

Anyhow, good news all round. 

11 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

They do a 'trigger plate' o/u (which is what most non sidelock o/u guns are), but not (as far as I know) a boxlock s/s.

Not a great fan of either side plates or side locks. Not that it makes any difference as I’ll never be able to afford one anyhow! 🙂

1 hour ago, retromlc said:

I think teenage Cancer trust  always needs money and hopefully you never have to call them. They do wonderful work with.these poor children. Please give it your consideration

This would very much get my vote .

14 minutes ago, Gordon R said:

Longthorne - well done for tackling the issue and resolving it.

My only reservation would be about the email. If it was you, you need a kick in the pants. If it was someone else - never let them do a customer response again. It was amateurish.

Thanks Gordon - Jim called me last night and we had a proper , open and honest conversation. I won't repeat that conversation but "my" takeaways were that they have developed some truly amazing guns, achieved technical impossibilities, faced impossible challenges and succeeded and yet some of the easier wins have escaped them - natural growing pains. We spoke about the importance and power of the of the word "Sorry" and Jim really listened to that.

Personally I would not have risked posting on this forum if I were them, but they did, that showed to me that they had really listened, the message they posted was heart felt , open and honest, they were genuinely sorry. Huge respect to Longhthorne for doing that. None of us are perfect, Longthorne are true innovators, amazing at achieving the impossible and I have no doubt will improve now upon the easier stuff.         

Edited by Duffryn