Longthorne Guns - Faults and Terrible Customer Service

Duffryn

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Lets not forget and Make no bones about it, there's only one reason why this issue got addressed, without which im guessing Duffryn would still be fighting his cause. Not disputing its a great outcome, but i have no doubt whatsoever without the power of PW this would be a totally different story. Longthorne have simply done the right thing due to social media pressure. the acid test will be if they continue to do this and it doesn't happen again. The squeaky wheel got the oil due to the persistent of the OP and this forums members. 

12 minutes ago, TK421 said:

Lets not forget and Make no bones about it, there's only one reason why this issue got addressed, without which im guessing Duffryn would still be fighting his cause. Not disputing its a great outcome, but i have no doubt whatsoever without the power of PW this would be a totally different story. Longthorne have simply done the right thing due to social media pressure. the acid test will be if they continue to do this and it doesn't happen again. The squeaky wheel got the oil due to the persistent of the OP and this forums members. 

I like to think that it was more to do with a locking of horns , and that the input from other parties ( pw),  helped to ease the horns apart , so that both customer and company had the opportunity to stand back for a second , take a deep breath , and return to and resolve the issues in a way that is agreeable to all , and in the way that it should have been done from the start.

My good lady runs her company,  with customer satisfaction being right at the very top of the list of priorities , no matter what the cost to us ( and sometimes it is very costly) , but , it can take only one poorly worded message , that may have been written in a rush  , for battle lines to be drawn , and as soon as that happens , the chin gets pulled in , and the fists come up , and its then a very difficult situation for either side to alter their course.( just ask any solicitor that has watched two neighbours fight over a fence line and an inch of dirt).

In this case , both parties have recognised that they could have , and should have , done things differently, and it's been very refreshing to see both parties being so open and honest , especially given the fact that the issue had become so public.

In my very humble opinion,  the very open and honest reply from Jim , has fully restored the reputation of longthornes,  and it only remains for the agreed work to be carried out .

13 minutes ago, mel b3 said:

I like to think that it was more to do with a locking of horns , and that the input from other parties ( pw),  helped to ease the horns apart , so that both customer and company had the opportunity to stand back for a second , take a deep breath , and return to and resolve the issues in a way that is agreeable to all , and in the way that it should have been done from the start.

My good lady runs her company,  with customer satisfaction being right at the very top of the list of priorities , no matter what the cost to us ( and sometimes it is very costly) , but , it can take only one poorly worded message , that may have been written in a rush  , for battle lines to be drawn , and as soon as that happens , the chin gets pulled in , and the fists come up , and its then a very difficult situation for either side to alter their course.( just ask any solicitor that has watched two neighbours fight over a fence line and an inch of dirt).

In this case , both parties have recognised that they could have , and should have , done things differently, and it's been very refreshing to see both parties being so open and honest , especially given the fact that the issue had become so public.

In my very humble opinion,  the very open and honest reply from Jim , has fully restored the reputation of longthornes,  and it only remains for the agreed work to be carried out .

I totally agree. PW helped bridge that impasse and I am very grateful. The charitable donation from myself and Longthorne is being made very much in recognition of this, a far better use of money than either of us spending it in court fees and solicitors.

There were mistakes on both sides here, no one is perfect, we cannot change the past only learn from it and I think both Longthorne and I have certainly done that. Shooters need disruptive innovators like Longthorne and its important for our sport that those companies prosper. I think Longthorne have come out on top here and very much hope that PW members agree and continue their support. Once again a heart felt thanks for the time input by members on this.         

Edited by Duffryn

11 minutes ago, Duffryn said:

I totally agree. PW helped bridge that impasse and I am very grateful. The charitable donation from myself and Longthorne is being made very much in recognition of this, a far better use of money than either of us spending it in court fees and solicitors.

There were mistakes on both sides here, no one is perfect, we cannot change the past only learn from it and I think both Longthorne and I have certainly done that. Shooters need disruptive innovators like Longthorne and its important for our sport that those companies prosper. I think Longthorne have come out on top here and very much hope that PW members agree and continue their support. Once again a heart felt thanks for the time input by members on this.         

Not being negative, only realistic, you still have to get your guns fixed to an acceptable standard and Longthornes need to recover their reputation and manufacture guns worth their price tags.

6 hours ago, TK421 said:

I totally agree. There are some on here that seem to be very easily appeased. It shouldn’t have got to the point it did in the first place - it’s an absolutely disgraceful carry on on my opinion and very stressful for the complainant. The damage is done in my opinion and they will never be trusted in my eyes. The only positive outcome is that the OP is seemingly having the issues addressed. But moving forward I would never feel they could be trusted. As has been said the manufacturer could have used the original issue as a very pousutube PR opportunity. People talk about good service but they talk a lot more about bad. 

Edited by BinaryB

£1,000 has now been donated to the Game & Wildlife Conservation Trust from Longhtorne and I as promised. 

This is a receipt for your kind donation to the Game & Wildlife Conservation Trust.

Receipt

Organisation: Game & Wildlife Conservation Trust
Campaign: Donate to the GWCT
Donor Name: Iain Burgess
Amount: £1,000
Donation Interval: One-time
Receipt #: 19563274
Donated At: 10/02/22 08:39:23 UTC
Payment Method: Visa 7018
Sign up to our weekly newsletter. For more information see our Privacy Policy.: No
Donor Address:

Edited by Duffryn

9 minutes ago, Duffryn said:

£1,000 has now been donated to the Game & Wildlife Conservation Trust from Longhtorne and I as promised. 

This is a receipt for your kind donation to the Game & Wildlife Conservation Trust.

Receipt

Sign up to our weekly newsletter. For more information see our Privacy Policy.: No
Donor Address:

Well done both!

7 minutes ago, Duffryn said:

£1,000 has now been donated to the game & wildlife Conservation Trust

Receipt

Donor Address:

Well done chief 👍.

All that remains is for longthornes to carry out the agreed repairs , then the world will be a happier place again 👍.

Hey Duffryn

Excellent result and your charitable donation is first class. I'm surprised at the massive change of peoples attitudes, whilst it's great Longthorne have done the right thing based on one side of the story (they of course had another based on the posts, and the truth being somewhere in the middle) I still think there's a degree of buyer beware at the higher end of the market. I do however hope that your video when you produce it is fair to all parties.

My main reason for posting is about the wood element..... Is this a difference between a machinist completing the wood and handing to a carpenter, rather than a machinist handing to an artisan who understands what pressures and stresses are going to go through that wood, and how any natural "beauty marks" could ultimately be points of failure?  Or is it a lack of treatment to the wood? 

I did watch the video that TGS made and Jim seemed like a solid honest fella so I am glad that it's all been resolved. I do wonder with such a high tech approach that may work on barrels may not be as appropriate for wood without the right level of artisans completing and checking? The vibe from the rizzini factory felt more that way.

The Longthorn celtic though.... that's my idea of engraving over the typical engraving, I'll give them credit that the celtic style with the kidney stone checkering would be where I'd spend my money if I had that kind of cash. ❤️ 

I hope you get a "speedy" resolution, and I really should go check your content out! :D

You state that you removed the years warranty on woodwork, as we all know a warranty is over and above one's legal Consumer Rights and has no bearing whatsoever on refusing to address a fault, you were legally obligated to repair or replace the wood. Shocking lack of customer service, even mentioning a years warranty is embarrassing, you should be offering a lifetime warranty if your product is a premium brand.

So  a quick update. The guns have been picked up as promised by Longthorne and I have zero doubt that they will be perfect when they come back.

RE recent comments by way of response  

In growing my business I have made a large number of errors including offering less than a perfect customer service at times.  I've learnt from those errors and therefore have sympathy with Longthorne learning from theirs. I really think that the most important part of the story here and respect is due to Longthorne in their very honest approach. 

Most premium gun brands do not publish their wood warranty, I found very little flack for other manufacturers online - I'm guessing because they use a common sense approach when issues arise (which they will from time to time)  . Longthorne have apologised for not using common sense in my case.  

I regularly shoot with eight or so other Longthorne owners ( I purchased on recommendation) and the overwhelming experience of those guns has been positive, including universal praise for the lack or recoil and muzzle flip, a major factor in us enjoying our shooting days more. 

I would hate for my "blip" to put other people off, Longthorne are unique guns produced by great people who are human and occasionally make mistakes but bend over backwards to put them right. 

4 minutes ago, Old farrier said:

So what works best for the longthorne inertia or mechanical trigger?

I'm not sure which modification was made to the gun that worked. I think I'm correct in saying that both were inertia and that the modification was made to dramatically reduce the inertia required so that it became a bit of a hybrid but I could be wrong here, suffice to say the modification worked a treat.  I will find out and report back once the guns are back with me.  

4 minutes ago, Duffryn said:

I'm not sure which modification was made to the gun that worked. I think I'm correct in saying that both were inertia and that the modification was made to dramatically reduce the inertia required so that it became a bit of a hybrid but I could be wrong here, suffice to say the modification worked a treat.  I will find out and report back once the guns are back with me.  

Thank you 😊👍

Comment on wood .

Having been involved with the import and selling of stock blanks ,our general rule was that if we sold a customer a stock blank that we fitted then we had to guarantee the wood against  shakes and other faults such as hidden knots . Wood being a natural material can move ,shrink, expand or warp when and after it has ben worked as stresses are relieved, a lot can depend on how it has been seasoned or dried . If a fault did show up in a reasonable time say 12 months  we would have felt obliged to rectify the problem .

If  we sold a stock blank to a third party we would have to offer the same guarantee  against hidden faults only .The cost of the work would be down to the stocker .

The " fancier " the wood the more likely there is to be problems .

Most wholesale dealers who would not offer  guarantee's on any wood bought as it was down to you to know what you bought and it was your risk .If they did the price per blank was greater . I have bought expensive blanks  knowing full well they would be spectacular or fire wood ,thats the risk . 

19 hours ago, Duffryn said:

So  a quick update. The guns have been picked up as promised by Longthorne and I have zero doubt that they will be perfect when they come back.

RE recent comments by way of response  

In growing my business I have made a large number of errors including offering less than a perfect customer service at times.  I've learnt from those errors and therefore have sympathy with Longthorne learning from theirs. I really think that the most important part of the story here and respect is due to Longthorne in their very honest approach. 

Most premium gun brands do not publish their wood warranty, I found very little flack for other manufacturers online - I'm guessing because they use a common sense approach when issues arise (which they will from time to time)  . Longthorne have apologised for not using common sense in my case.  

I regularly shoot with eight or so other Longthorne owners ( I purchased on recommendation) and the overwhelming experience of those guns has been positive, including universal praise for the lack or recoil and muzzle flip, a major factor in us enjoying our shooting days more. 

I would hate for my "blip" to put other people off, Longthorne are unique guns produced by great people who are human and occasionally make mistakes but bend over backwards to put them right. 

Hardly a blip and they didn't bend over backwards they seem a right **** outfit I wouldn't touch them with a barge pole. 

Edited by The Heron
Word missing

• 1 month later...
On 17/02/2022 at 08:13, Duffryn said:

Hiya Duffryn.

Any update on the work yet?.