Longthorne Guns - Faults and Terrible Customer Service

Duffryn

45 minutes ago, TK421 said:

Doubt very much JC will comment on anything other than they are brilliant (free gun syndrome and brand ambassador). 
suppliers is a good angle, but would imagine most would be said in person and off record. No harm in trying though. 

Longthorne gun issues and Longthorne problems

Would be interesting to see how this would be handled if you'd purchased the guns form a dealer, i'm sure THEY would be responsible all the false under warranty then claim it back from Longthorne. 

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

20 minutes ago, 8 shot said:

Would be interesting to see how this would be handled if you'd purchased the guns form a dealer, i'm sure THEY would be responsible all the false under warranty then claim it back from Longthorne. 

My understanding is that the warranty is offered by Longthorne not the dealer. It's a five year return to base warranty that does not cover wood at all, if the gun wont break open, fire a cartridge, eject a cartridge, keeps ejecting live cartridges, misfires cartridges or the second barrel wont fire then these are "adjustments" and not faults and so its down to you to return them. Based on this I believe a fault would only be and ejector breaking, barrels snapping etc and then I'm 99% sure it would be blamed on user error because Longthorne are NEVER at fault. 

Isn't is strange that the warranty is not promoted on the website or referred to in their terms and conditions. Ask a question on one of their face book posts about the warranty and wood and its gets deleted ( at least mine did). Feel free to give it a go for yourself     

Wood IS a natural product .. liable to variation ...

Which is WHY we go to a manufacturer with expected capability to test and sort appropriate wood, treated and conditioned in the correct way to last for 100 years +

If it breaks after little use, it's appalling that they won't stand behind it ... a shame they've got this bit of the business (service) so wrong as it will limit sales and could destroy them.

3 minutes ago, Smokersmith said:

Which is WHY we go to a manufacturer with expected capability to test and sort appropriate wood, treated and conditioned in the correct way to last for 100 years +

Absolutely correct.

In my roughly 45 years shooting, I have got a few guns VERY wet as I have shot in all weathers - sometimes I wonder why, but I have done it.  I don't mean just a bit of a wet day - I mean a really severe soaking whole day out in the rain.

I have had one problem from swollen wood (Beretta SO6) where the stock swelled slightly and one tumber dragged on the wood causing an occasional light strike misfire.  Easily corrected (though admittedly slightly hard to find as it went away when the gun dried a bit) by the dealer's in house gunsmith whilst I waited.

Guns I am concious of having given a severe wetting include a Beretta S57 (tropical rainstorm at high temperature when dove shooting in Costa Rica) and Powell and AyA sidelocks.  All the above survived with no problems either short or long term.

56 minutes ago, Smokersmith said:

If it breaks after little use, it's appalling that they won't stand behind it ... a shame they've got this bit of the business (service) so wrong as it will limit sales and could destroy them.

Totally agree here 

perhaps they would be better making the stocks from laminated plywood at least it would be consistent 

I feel the problem is arising through the machine that makes the stock a fit for the gun and to the buyers measurements the machine has no appreciation for the grain and lay of the timber 

just my thoughts 

18 minutes ago, 8 shot said:

I think that when you buy anything, particularly new your contract is with who ever took your money and that is who you return it too with any faults or defects. Maybe firearms are different.

I think I am correct in saying that If a product is sold through a reseller the sales contact is between the reseller and the buyer. However where the manufacturer offers a guarantee that product is sold with the benefit of that manufacturers guarantee, that contract is between the manufacturer and the buyer. In this case the guns were purchased directly.     

3 minutes ago, Duffryn said:

I think I am correct in saying that If a product is sold through a reseller the sales contact is between the reseller and the buyer. However where the manufacturer offers a guarantee that product is sold with the benefit of that manufacturers guarantee, that contract is between the manufacturer and the buyer. In this case the guns were purchased directly.     

I guess we are both correct. It would be interesting to know how both a RFD and Longthorne's would handle this, my guess Longthorne's wouldn;t have a leg to stand on if you purchased it through a RFD and would be resovled by now. My opinion is you has all the rights and a court would probarbly find in your favour. But could be wrong, I sincerly hope you get it resolved in you favour. I can't see how they can justify there behaviour.

20 minutes ago, ditchman said:

"without predudice".....strikes me reading between the lines they have a cash flow problem...........this needs to be sorted sharpish if that is the case

I refer the right honourable gentleman to my earlier post stating ‘penny pinching’ and a company possibly ‘on the decline’ 

but your right, it’s what I was thinking also. 

9 minutes ago, TK421 said:

I refer the right honourable gentleman to my earlier post stating ‘penny pinching’ and a company possibly ‘on the decline’ 

but your right, it’s what I was thinking also. 

Longthorne have taken this position for serval years now, and not just with me so I'd be more inclined to suggest that its an attitude problem rather than a cashflow problem.  Having said that I really don't think that allowing this to develop this far, failure to comment on this forum ( despite having been sent a link), the forth coming video and any legal action I take will do them any favours cashflow wise in terms of sales enquiries.          

6 minutes ago, Duffryn said:

Longthorne have taken this position for serval years now, and not just with me so I'd be more inclined to suggest that its an attitude problem rather than a cashflow problem.  Having said that I really don't think that allowing this to develop this far, failure to comment on this forum ( despite having been sent a link), the forth coming video and any legal action I take will do them any favours cashflow wise in terms of sales enquiries.          

I very much doubt they’d engage on here to be fair. I think they’ve made their position clear, let’s hope I’m wrong and they step up and resolve this issue sooner rather than later as this thread is growing my the minute, not ranking on Google search. 

lets make sure we keep using the company name when we refer to them on this thread 😉

Longthorne warranty, Longthorne guns, Longthorne problems. 

Edited by TK421

13 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

I do find it interesting that their website has a huge number of satisfied testimonials.

with that in mind, I would have thought they would do everything within their power to restore your faith in their brand.

Its not an independent review system like Feefo or TrustPilot - they will only list the good reviews on the website. I suspect that most owners who have had a bad experience are reluctant to leave negative reviews whilst they still own the guns.    

3 minutes ago, Duffryn said:

Its not an independent review system like Feefo or TrustPilot - they will only list the good reviews on the website. I suspect that most owners who have had a bad experience are reluctant to leave negative reviews whilst they still own the guns.    

Oh yes I am aware of its shortcomings, I sincerely hope that they sort this sorry state of affairs out to your satisfaction

So glad I have seen this post. I was going to commission a Longthorne Blenheim in June. 

Things will always go wrong and that's fine, but it's how those issues are dealt with that's important. And I am sorry but I hate wide boy warrantys that cover nothing. This sounds like a market trader not a reputable company. 

Shame on them. 

8 minutes ago, holloway said:

Just playing devils advocate here ,although I am not doubting the posters version of events it is completely one sided .

I have noticed that Longthornes have posted on this forum before and I am sure we would all value there side of the story especially if there memory’s vary.

i think that is a very fair comment..........and i think the contributors to this post have also been "careful" in what they say....we can only make a judgement on the information we have been given.....

i think it is unproffessional to slag Longthorne off.........but what we all agree on regardless of who the company is ...the service appears to be awful..........and we all have suffered from poor service from many different companies...so we can relate strongly to the complainant

having said that the future of Longthorne and any company sooner or later will rest upon its reputation..........i believe Longthorne has been given adequate time to post a response on this website..and they havnt......

Proactive is a good word...........i look forward to seeing how this saga pans out ...

D

30 minutes ago, holloway said:

Just playing devils advocate here ,although I am not doubting the posters version of events it is completely one sided .

I have noticed that Longthornes have posted on this forum before and I am sure we would all value there side of the story especially if there memory’s vary.

You have every right to question this. I have retained full email trails ( Luckily ) to support everything I say, I've sent the script of the video I am producing to Longthorne for them to comment on factual accuracy before it is shot, edited and published and I have sent a link to Longthorne to this thread. I'm not sure what else I can do to be open , fair and honest. I will gladly send pictures of email messages by PM to support any claim I have made here about the issues I have experienced with Longthorne and their responses. 

I am also more than happy to send a word document containing every single piece of email correspondence to two trusted member of this forum so that everything I have stated ( and some more horrors) can be verified.     

Edited by Duffryn

9 minutes ago, Duffryn said:

You have every right to question this. I have retained full email trails ( Luckily ) to support everything I say, I've sent the script of the video I am producing to Longthorne for them to comment on factual accuracy before it is shot, edited and published and I have sent a link to Longthorne to this thread. I'm not sure what else I can do to be open , fair and honest. I will gladly sent pictures of email messages by PM to support any claim I have made here about the issues I have experienced with Longthorne and their responses. 

I am also more than happy to send a word document containing every single piece of email correspondence to two trusted member of this forum so that everything I have stated ( and some more horrors) can be verified.     

Duffryn as I said I was playing devils advocate,I do not in any way question your account but as I said they have posted on here before and to me ,especially as you have sent them a link to this discussion there silence is deafening.

Blimey this is shocking, I had, about 9yrs ago seriously considered longhorn and Boxell and Edmondson, but their costs and how new the companies were put me off, I bought a 13 yr old Perazzi for a fifth if the price, after 9yrs of use 2 months ago I replaced one of the original V springs from the kit provided. B&E went under and Longthorn don't seem like the company I could deal with, if a gun costing  that much money should come with an understanding customer service and the honesty to level up to any issues.

I'm coming to this thread a bit late and making comment on something already mentioned a lot.

Whilst it is obvious to everyone wood can have issues, anything remotely well seasoned and prepared should not have the issues you state.  I have had a good few wood stock shotguns and rifles, over the years, none have suffered in any noticeable way whatsoever with wood problems, and many have seen some terrible weather .

Awful customer service, and/or quality control!

I have a couple of guns still in use today which are just over or very near 100yrs old and the wood on both is perfect. The inly crack I have ever had in a stock was the forend of my 16 gauge Remmy auto. These stocks are quite thin and I know I had knocked it about a bit. The wood had not 'moved '. Never heard such a load of tosh.  Hope you get it sorted, that is a lot of money to lay out.