Duffryn

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

21 hours ago, ditchman said:

the last time Longthorne was on this website/forum was 2013....Elaine was is her name

Longthorne would need rocks in their head to weigh into a public forum like this.  The amount of bile, bad faith complaints, 20/20 hindsight, and just downright arrogance, on show every time someone from BASC is posts here, should put pretty much every commercial organisation off.

As to the OP’s complaint: If you can afford £50k in guns, you can afford a well drafted solicitor’s letter, or even the services of a good arbitrator.  Trying to publicly back them into a corner will only result in the drawbridge being pulled up, and the barricades being manned.

Don’t get me wrong, some of the issues you raise I wouldn’t accept on my Turkish gun costing less than a 25th of the price, and neither would I expect the costs of ‘return to base’ to be borne by me, albeit constrained by legislation to return to an RFD of my choosing.

But I don’t get this ‘I have sent them a script and given them 7 days’ notice’ approach.  You are not Panorama doing investigative journalism.  You are a dis-satisfied customer, the fact you have a social media following should have zero bearing on the issue.  Why do you think this approach will work?  You are backing them, very publicly, into a corner.  You know what happens when even the most mild-mannered dog thinks he’s backed into a corner, don’t you?

3 hours ago, udderlyoffroad said:

Longthorne would need rocks in their head to weigh into a public forum like this.  The amount of bile, bad faith complaints, 20/20 hindsight, and just downright arrogance, on show every time someone from BASC is posts here, should put pretty much every commercial organisation off.

As to the OP’s complaint: If you can afford £50k in guns, you can afford a well drafted solicitor’s letter, or even the services of a good arbitrator.  Trying to publicly back them into a corner will only result in the drawbridge being pulled up, and the barricades being manned.

Don’t get me wrong, some of the issues you raise I wouldn’t accept on my Turkish gun costing less than a 25th of the price, and neither would I expect the costs of ‘return to base’ to be borne by me, albeit constrained by legislation to return to an RFD of my choosing.

But I don’t get this ‘I have sent them a script and given them 7 days’ notice’ approach.  You are not Panorama doing investigative journalism.  You are a dis-satisfied customer, the fact you have a social media following should have zero bearing on the issue.  Why do you think this approach will work?  You are backing them, very publicly, into a corner.  You know what happens when even the most mild-mannered dog thinks he’s backed into a corner, don’t you?

Giving a Company a certain deadline is the correct course of action and would be recommended by a Solicitor, normally working days and 14 is considered reasonable.

Edited by bruno22rf

1 hour ago, udderlyoffroad said:

You raise a good point re the ‘backed in to a corner’ analogy. However, I would say they (Longthorne) are still a little way from that uncomfortable corner currently. They have been offered an opportunity to stand by their product - and have so far failed in that moral duty. If there is any wisdom in their thinking, they will see this not as a fight, but as an opportunity, by which they can repair not only the guns in question, but also their reputation. 

Unless of course they are swamped by similar complaints and don’t have sufficient cash flow to address them. I honestly don’t know whether this is the case….. just looking for reasons for their bizarre support failure. 

10 hours ago, Fellside said:

You raise a good point re the ‘backed in to a corner’ analogy. However, I would say they (Longthorne) are still a little way from that uncomfortable corner currently. They have been offered an opportunity to stand by their product - and have so far failed in that moral duty. If there is any wisdom in their thinking, they will see this not as a fight, but as an opportunity, by which they can repair not only the guns in question, but also their reputation. 

Unless of course they are swamped by similar complaints and don’t have sufficient cash flow to address them. I honestly don’t know whether this is the case….. just looking for reasons for their bizarre support failure. 

I mentioned this a few posts back, problems are inevitable, it gives the manufacturer the chance/opportunity  to show how good their support and after sales service is. Selling a product is only one element of a business, or it should be. The support and aftersales is another element and just as important, it allows you to improve not only your product but establish a bond/rapport with your customer, after all without them there would be no business. It’s short sighted to think they only need the former as they are ‘Longthorne guns’. There does feel like there’s a bit of arrogance about their whole behavior to me for some reason. I gleaned a bit of this on Johnny’s video of his gun being made at longthorne . It’s only when put in to the context of this whole thread it stands out more now. 
 They’re genuinely shooting them selves in the foot with this, pardon the pun. 

I keep reading this thread and tbh if L had admitted that maybe the blank they used was a "faulty batch " and replaced it, but a lot if time goes into making the wood and if a pair of guns with near matching wood then it would have been restocking both?  Very costly but on a £50k pair then perhaps they should have swallowed it. When you are at this end of the market with people who can drop this sort of money this kind of charging for anything that puts L out is shortsighted and will influence a purchase decision.

Maybe their belief that their methodology of barrel construction makes them immune and arrogant?

We are entering this post rather late, this situation has not been handled at all well by myself or Longthorne. Hands up we messed up here and I’m very sorry.

Longthorne has grown rapidly over the years and like any new and expanding business there have been some growing pains during that time, lots of lessons a huge number of things we have got right and unfortunately some that we have not. This example definitely falls into the later. Mr Burgess  was desperate to get his guns for an important shooting day and some of our usual checks were bi passed resulting in a less than perfect buying experience for him, a valuable lesson. Poor communications on both our parts compounded those difficulties and positions became entrenched. We used to  offer a 1 year warranty on our wood but after a series of suspicious claims in the last month of the warranty we withdrew that warranty and instead used a common sense approach very much like other premium brands in the market. That common sense approach failed here.

I personally make huge efforts to go beyond the extra mile to ensure our customers are happy with their Longthorne gun and this example is not typical of the service that Longthorne offer. In fact one of Mr Burgesses frustrations with us was that he knew a large number of people who had had an amazing post sale experience with us and were delighted with their Longthorne guns -he just wanted to be one of those people – we messed this up.

I have telephoned Mr Burgess and we spoke for an hour or so about what happened , what should have happened and how we put this right. Mr Burgess is now a happy customer.

This has been a valuable lesson for all concerned and one that on our part we have defiantly learned from.

Thank you for your support

James Stewart MD

Longthorne (Gunmakers) Ltd

22 minutes ago, Longthorne said:

We are entering this post rather late, this situation has not been handled at all well by myself or Longthorne. Hands up we messed up here and I’m very sorry.

Longthorne has grown rapidly over the years and like any new and expanding business there have been some growing pains during that time, lots of lessons a huge number of things we have got right and unfortunately some that we have not. This example definitely falls into the later. Mr Burgess  was desperate to get his guns for an important shooting day and some of our usual checks were bi passed resulting in a less than perfect buying experience for him, a valuable lesson. Poor communications on both our parts compounded those difficulties and positions became entrenched. We used to  offer a 1 year warranty on our wood but after a series of suspicious claims in the last month of the warranty we withdrew that warranty and instead used a common sense approach very much like other premium brands in the market. That common sense approach failed here.

I personally make huge efforts to go beyond the extra mile to ensure our customers are happy with their Longthorne gun and this example is not typical of the service that Longthorne offer. In fact one of Mr Burgesses frustrations with us was that he knew a large number of people who had had an amazing post sale experience with us and were delighted with their Longthorne guns -he just wanted to be one of those people – we messed this up.

I have telephoned Mr Burgess and we spoke for an hour or so about what happened , what should have happened and how we put this right. Mr Burgess is now a happy customer.

This has been a valuable lesson for all concerned and one that on our part we have defiantly learned from.

Thank you for your support

James Stewart MD

Longthorne (Gunmakers) Ltd

Jim thank you for the call last night.

It took some balls to write this post. I really wasn’t expecting you to do that and you have my total respect.

After the first season which was not plain sailing. I have thoroughly enjoyed three amazing years shooting gun number 1 without any issues whatsoever, they are phenomenal guns. Your call last night was very much appreciated, in hindsight we both should have put our egos to bed and done that way before this point.

In fairness to Jim and Longthorne listening to Jim last night I can see how some of my communications were genuinely misinterpreted which then compounded issues. It would be unfair of Jim to take all the blame here, in hindsight I have made some errors as well and for those Jim I apologise.

My faith in Longthorne has been fully restored, Jim is refusing to accept payment for some work that I believe I should pay for.

I do not wish to benefit financially from this in any way and would also like to thank the forum for helping resolve this situation. PW Members is there a charity that is close to everyone’s hearts on here ?    I would like to donate £1,000 so that a) I don’t benefit financially from this and b) to thank everyone for your support and help here. This donation is effectively from both Longhthorn and I.

Jim I will still produce the video on my experience of Longthorne guns but it will be a positive one, you now have a motivated brand advocate again, as I said above they really are phenomenal guns !

Admins. I believe it would be unfair of Longthorne to have people read the five pages of this thread before seeing the positive outcome and their honesty.

Perhaps this thread could be deleted in a couple of days time ?   I believe it would now be unfair to Longthorne for this thread to remain but if you disagree could you perhaps pin Jim and mines latest post to the top of the thread ? I must stress that this is my request, not Longthorne’s

A huge thanks everyone - a very positive outcome for both myself and Longthorne  

Edited by Duffryn

Very well done gentlemen. 

It would be nice if the thread was left in place for a short time , just until any repairs are completed,  and everyone that has posted their thoughts and opinions , can see a final outcome . It would restore faith that longthornes are the company that we always thought they were .

Edited by mel b3

Personally I suggest we don’t delete it as a positive resolution was reached, maybe add that to the thread topic “Longthorne Guns - Faults and Terrible Customer Service NOW RESOLVED” or something?

it’s important that people get to read the thread and see the final outcome, just my thought of course, plus a lot of members contributed a lot of time, would be shame to just delete it.

well done Longthorne for stepping up and resolving this, as mentioned this is/was a great opportunity to show how good you guys really are. Wether or not it was due to social media pressure or not, the right decision was made in the end, this also provides a signpost to other manufacturers out there of how things should be done. 

Lessons learnt by all involved.

a positive use of social media for once, quite refreshing Id say. 

Edited by TK421

6 minutes ago, ditchman said:

think Longthorne should make a no-nonsense pigeon / decoy gun...no arty farty engraving...just something that will take on the elements and the scratches and knocks, and drop pigeons out of the skies.........

you saw it here first :lol:

And LAST!   :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, Duffryn said:

Jim thank you for the call last night.

It took some balls to write this post. I really wasn’t expecting you to do that and you have my total respect.

After the first season which was not plain sailing. I have thoroughly enjoyed three amazing years shooting gun number 1 without any issues whatsoever, they are phenomenal guns. Your call last night was very much appreciated, in hindsight we both should have put our egos to bed and done that way before this point.

In fairness to Jim and Longthorne listening to Jim last night I can see how some of my communications were genuinely misinterpreted which then compounded issues. It would be unfair of Jim to take all the blame here, in hindsight I have made some errors as well and for those Jim I apologise.

My faith in Longthorne has been fully restored, Jim is refusing to accept payment for some work that I believe I should pay for.

I do not wish to benefit financially from this in any way and would also like to thank the forum for helping resolve this situation. PW Members is there a charity that is close to everyone’s hearts on here ?    I would like to donate £1,000 so that a) I don’t benefit financially from this and b) to thank everyone for your support and help here. This donation is effectively from both Longhthorn and I.

Jim I will still produce the video on my experience of Longthorne guns but it will be a positive one, you now have a motivated brand advocate again, as I said above they really are phenomenal guns !

Admins. I believe it would be unfair of Longthorne to have people read the five pages of this thread before seeing the positive outcome and their honesty.

Perhaps this thread could be deleted in a couple of days time ?   I believe it would now be unfair to Longthorne for this thread to remain but if you disagree could you perhaps pin Jim and mines latest post to the top of the thread ? I must stress that this is my request, not Longthorne’s

A huge thanks everyone - a very positive outcome for both myself and Longthorne  

Well done to Jim for standing by his product (eventually) and to you for a dignified response. 

I’m amazed this thread has generated such interest. I suppose it just shows how many have been following the Longthorne story. 

May I suggest £1000 to the Game and Wildlife Conservation Trust?