Marking dummies

worrall26

Intresting today. 

Bit of background on dog. 2 1/2 yr Lab. Had great season this yr on our DIY shoot, wildfowling Beating And picking which is ideal dog for my needs.

Ike really steady dog. 

Went training today retrives hit and miss on  dummies.

Every bird in sky he was watching.

Not marking Dummy .

Did not mark some but hunted out others

We where on retrive and blind , mine mostly blinds.

Some dogs are tricky to get back onto dummies after a season on the real thing. Give it a break before starting again then work at it and see how the next few weeks go. My dogs get a complete rest for a few weeks after the season. They are picking up three days a week plus fowling and the odd day on my small shoot. No rush to get them back on blob.

48 minutes ago, Dave at kelton said:

Some dogs are tricky to get back onto dummies after a season on the real thing. Give it a break before starting again then work at it and see how the next few weeks go. My dogs get a complete rest for a few weeks after the season. They are picking up three days a week plus fowling and the odd day on my small shoot. No rush to get them back on blob.

Thanks for advice.Lacking enthusiam on dummies.

10 minutes ago, WalkedUp said:

In HPR world most handlers would sit the dog and collect it if it started “hunting” a seen retrieve. Depends if it is actively trying to wind the dummy or just working for itself. 

Dulcie was the same. She’d be asleep during training, look like she wasn’t marking the fall, then sent to pick the dummy, walk out at a glacial pace, pick it up and then slowly return. Never put a foot wrong but had zero enthusiasm for practice. Very good in the field though, but it was a pain as you don’t get chance to hone them properly if they aren’t performing as well on dummies. As Dave says, maybe give him a break and then say 1 retrieve per day or per week. 

Edited by WalkedUp

24 minutes ago, WalkedUp said:

In HPR world most handlers would sit the dog and collect it if it started “hunting” a seen retrieve. Depends if it is actively trying to wind the dummy or just working for itself. 

think its the latter,

2 minutes ago, WalkedUp said:

Dulcie was the same. She’d be asleep during training, look like she wasn’t marking the fall, then sent to pick the dummy, walk out at a glacial pace, pick it up and then slowly return. Never put a foot wrong but had zero enthusiasm for practice. Very good in the field though, but it was a pain as you don’t get chance to hone them properly if they aren’t performing as well on dummies. As Dave says, maybe give him a break and then say 1 retrieve per day or per week. 

Hardly do any dummy training with him . usually once a week.  OPPS tomorow out again. 

20 hours ago, worrall26 said:

20 hours ago, WalkedUp said:

think its the latter,

Hardly do any dummy training with him . usually once a week.  OPPS tomorow out again. 

Dulcie great dog. worked her ******** off on Anglsey shoot. great diy shoot. our shooting was appaling back then,

great scenery fantastic birds.

Edited by worrall26
duplicate

This is one of the many reasons I reckon it's easier to have working dogs in a kennel.

I reckon the dog would benefit from some down time. Give it a break of a few weeks and reckon he will be keener after some time off.

Mine haven't been out for a little while now, they are getting out 2-3 times a day for a quick run about and pee but not for ages, they are definitely getting a bit wound up being in the house, which can be a bit annoying. 

I have a small kennel setup in the garage and my Mrs has even put them in there today (she's normally the one letting them out!) so we can get bits done around the house. 

Give it a few weeks then back to training :) 

• 1 month later...