Eubank JR vs Williams

chrisjpainter

116-109, 116-108, 117-109

The scores reflect how comfortable it was for Eubank JR, but he could have made it so much more impressive. He lost a few rounds in the middle because he spent way too much time just taunting Williams - doing gorilla impressions and so forth. By the end there were moments of farce as Eubank Jr did a little dance and Williams refused to engage, so they just stood there. 

But 4 knock-downs to none is comprehensive. For all his work and endeavour Williams isn't in Eubank Jr's class

Williams lucky not to have a point docked for continually pushing, clinching, headlocking and trying to lever Eubank Jr out of the ring, but I think the ref felt sorry for him! He did  looked a bit amateurish at times

I watched some pundits earlier saying how Jnr wants to get out of the shadow of his father.

Chris Snr being a showman. 

Enter Jnr, who steps into the ring dressed  as Santa Claus. Followed by all the showboating.

He is a good boxer and out boxed Williams. Possibly going on to be a world champion but can't take to him .

Edited by redial

It reminded me of Muhammed Ali taunting Ernie Terrell, who bad mouthed Ali in the build up. Ali could have finished him anytime, but humiliated Terrell with a sustained beating.

I thought Eubank beat Billy Joe Saunders, but was schooled by a very experienced George Groves. He has a good engine and chin. i think he will be a world Champion soon.

5 minutes ago, Gordon R said:

It reminded me of Muhammed Ali taunting Ernie Terrell, who bad mouthed Ali in the build up. Ali could have finished him anytime, but humiliated Terrell with a sustained beating.

I thought Eubank beat Billy Joe Saunders, but was schooled by a very experienced George Groves. He has a good engine and chin. i think he will be a world Champion soon.

I agree. The trouble is Williams  won a fair few of the middle rounds. I think with Williams being so obviously a technical class below, Jnr should have used it as an exhibition to improve his stock for the bigger fights. A sustained beating full of skill and power is far more of a signal than taunting an obviously inferior opponent and ending up having to go to the judges. He threw so few eye catching combinations that I found the fight dragged a bit. 

11 hours ago, redial said:

Chris Snr being a showman. 

Enter Jnr, who steps into the ring dressed  as Santa Claus. Followed by all the showboating.

:lol: That's exactly what we thought when it started! My partner even asked if it was live and not a replay from a Christmas fight...

1 hour ago, Hicky said:

That showboating should never been seen in a ring in my view. When boxers say fairly disposable things to build up a fight then again I’d rather watch paint dry, ppv no thanks.

Eubank looked a tit!

The showboating was as cringeworthy as it gets! If it was original and his own then fair enough. But my stomach turned when I seen him coming out in the 1st round emulating RJJ's stance and style and then to make it worse, he started copying Roy's showboating moves. 

Whilst his timing was on point and (Obviously having RJJ as his trainer has helped this improvement in his game) he hardly set the boxing world on fire against a one dimensional Liam William's. Let's also not forget that William's is a natural MW were as Eubank is naturally the bigger man and having campaigned at SMW (Where George Groves made him look amateurish) He has reinvented himself from a gym rat making videos of hitting pads and bags to the aldi version of a RJJ.

He is now looking to fight an old man in Golovkin "lost his pen when Golovkin was a force' in the MW division''. I'd still back Golovkin to win even though he is nearly 40yrs old.

If he is intent on giving it the big one, then why doesn't he try and get one over on his old rival BJS and challenge the elite Mexican up a SMW rather than looking for an over the hill Golovkin. I think everyone knows the answer to that! There would be very little showboating,if he was to step into the ring with Canelo, that's for sure.

5 hours ago, SuperGoose75 said:

The showboating was as cringeworthy as it gets! If it was original and his own then fair enough. But my stomach turned when I seen him coming out in the 1st round emulating RJJ's stance and style and then to make it worse, he started copying Roy's showboating moves. 

Whilst his timing was on point and (Obviously having RJJ as his trainer has helped this improvement in his game) he hardly set the boxing world on fire against a one dimensional Liam William's. Let's also not forget that William's is a natural MW were as Eubank is naturally the bigger man and having campaigned at SMW (Where George Groves made him look amateurish) He has reinvented himself from a gym rat making videos of hitting pads and bags to the aldi version of a RJJ.

He is now looking to fight an old man in Golovkin "lost his pen when Golovkin was a force' in the MW division''. I'd still back Golovkin to win even though he is nearly 40yrs old.

If he is intent on giving it the big one, then why doesn't he try and get one over on his old rival BJS and challenge the elite Mexican up a SMW rather than looking for an over the hill Golovkin. I think everyone knows the answer to that! There would be very little showboating,if he was to step into the ring with Canelo, that's for sure.

Charlo or Andrade….isn’t making a noise about them lads. BJS potentially is a money maker for them but BJS

risks ending his own career and Eubank the same….the money won’t warrant the risk for either as both will be looking for big bucks, the rematch should of happened asap at the time. 

He needs to step out of the shadows of great fighters(his old man and RJJ) and stop emulating them. 

Edited by Hicky

I am bemused by the stick that Eubank is taking. He lost a fight to BJS - I thought he won the fight and think he would win any rematch. He got schooled by the vastly experienced George Groves - no shame there.

Do we want to see dull fighters like Anthony Joshua? Do we want to see a quitter with a glass chin - step forward Amir Khan. Naseem Hamed made his career - showboating. 

Most boxers have nicked their showboating from Ali, who nicked it from Georgeous George, the USA wrestler. 

Cut Eubank some slack. 🙂

Edited by Gordon R

45 minutes ago, Gordon R said:

I am bemused by the stick that Eubank is taking. He lost a fight to BJS - I thought he won the fight and think he would win any rematch. He got schooled by the vastly experienced George Groves - no shame there.

Do we want to see dull fighters like Anthony Joshua? Do we want to see a quitter with a glass chin - step forward Amir Khan. Naseem Hamed made his career - showboating. 

Most boxers have nicked their showboating from Ali, who nicked it from Georgeous George, the USA wrestler. 

Cut Eubank some slack. 🙂

Ahmed made a decent career sparking most fighters out along with the showboating. Khan although has lost many times(he should never have took the Crawford fight), however he’s been in with some of the very best so kudos to him.

Ali again in with the best, I’d just rather the showboating be cut out and if Eubank is all he thinks he is then stop ******* about and get yourself in the big fights !

Ref- Eubank Jnr not calling out the Charlo brothers or Andrade and instead going after the Golovkin fight is understandable. Golovkin despite his decline is still the biggest name in the MW division and as he is a fan favourite, it guarantees big PPV and ticket sales. To be be truthful I'm not sold on the Charlo brothers and Eubank could probably give either a right go. Boo Boo seems to be the Bogie man in the division and although I expected him to win against my fellow county and countryman Jay Quigley, I never thought he would blow him away like he did. Eubank couldn't handle that smoke either IMO. Losing to Golovkin probably wouldn't be as bad looking giving his stature and he would be laughing all the way to the bank regardless.

It's funny I never liked his dad back in the day as I was a Nigel Benn fan, however as I've grown up I look back and can see what a classy legend he was/is! Can come across mad as a box of frogs but he was a warrior.

Jnr comes across very obnoxious and arrogant without any of the charisma his dad had and seems to rub people up the wrong way. For example posting a video of himself and his friends celebrating and gloating Canelo's win over a man who had beaten him was pretty pathetic IMO

Interestingly Hamed was mentioned and when it comes to the showboating, it was himself and Snr who were blaming the other for copying the ring entrances,jumping the ropes ect..! A bit of showboating is all well and good if you can carry it off and back it up like Ali,Sugar Ray Leonard or Roy Jones.. but them antics did not suit Jnr.

As for Khan, I've never seen Khan in a dull fight win,lose or draw. Anyway it won't be long now before the glass chinned quitter faces the glass eye socket quitter! Years late but still one that will generate a lot of interest. Khan has his haters but I'll be Team Khan and think he is way to fast for Brook and should be able to put on a clinic. That said it is Khan we are talking about, so if Brook can land one of his ''chocolate brownies'' Khan may do his new born lamb impression. One to look forward too!

15 minutes ago, SuperGoose75 said:

As for Khan, I've never seen Khan in a dull fight win,lose or draw. Anyway it won't be long now before the glass chinned quitter faces the glass eye socket quitter! Years late but still one that will generate a lot of interest. Khan has his haters but I'll be Team Khan and think he is way to fast for Brook and should be able to put on a clinic. That said it is Khan we are talking about, so if Brook can land one of his ''chocolate brownies'' Khan may do his new born lamb impression. One to look forward too!

Love it 👍

3 hours ago, Gordon R said:

am bemused by the stick that Eubank is taking. He lost a fight to BJS - I thought he won the fight and think he would win any rematch. He got schooled by the vastly experienced George Groves - no shame there.

For me if your going to showboat then you have to back it up, Naseem was the perfect example,  you knew it was going to be fireworks from the word go, with a knock out from a crazy angle.