Lead aiming practise exercise training

BSMWilliams

I have been given an exercise from my instructor. Inside the house i mount the shotgun and aim at the corner of the wall ceiling joint and follow that around the room. At some point i pull the trigger but use the line to continue with the follow through. Its to help me produce a smoother follow through and to help with aiming lead.

My question is this, when at home i cam freely use my shotgun. But as i work away from home i do not have the ability to practice in a hotel room. Can the same practise resualts be gained from a broom or prop shotgun?

I would say you could use a broom or prop shotgun, the exercise will be to stop you stopping and be fluid when you pull the trigger, hitting a bird is a totally different exercise and would need a bird, gun and bullets.

I know several people who can hit clays for fun but are only fair shorts on live game and more people who are vice versa ( point and case; me ).

There are lot's of very clever experienced people on PW and will answer any question you may have.

If you have a gun then buy some 'snap caps' to practise more like real life, if you don't have a gun. . . . . I would kindly suggest your going to need to buy at least one!

Good luck

Add you should try and twist at the waist not the shoulders.

a further take on this is pick a point 2/3 Rds along your line and swing the gun through it and say  bang when you are past it by 6 inch then repeat 12 inches. Repeat the other way you should be able to get to the point where your see the imaginary 2/3 point but the gun moves to the kill point and you are pulling the trigger. This is your lead  picture and we all see it differently in our shooting brain !

you are training you eyes and brain to see clay and move gun in front and not rifle shoot ( trying to see sight and clay clearly) 

its brain and eye training as much as muscle memory.

Agriv8

On 07/02/2022 at 16:37, Agriv8 said:

Add you should try and twist at the waist not the shoulders.

a further take on this is pick a point 2/3 Rds along your line and swing the gun through it and say  bang when you are past it by 6 inch then repeat 12 inches. Repeat the other way you should be able to get to the point where your see the imaginary 2/3 point but the gun moves to the kill point and you are pulling the trigger. This is your lead  picture and we all see it differently in our shooting brain !

you are training you eyes and brain to see clay and move gun in front and not rifle shoot ( trying to see sight and clay clearly) 

its brain and eye training as much as muscle memory.

Agriv8

cheers all for the replies

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, nicknsd1978 said:

My youngest likes dressing up as a soldier and wished for a daisy bignold gun last Xmas.

Had visions of him marching down the road and getting nicked for doing so and so I didn’t buy one.

This might be ideal for him 

27 minutes ago, Jaymo said:

My youngest likes dressing up as a soldier and wished for a daisy bignold gun last Xmas.

Had visions of him marching down the road and getting nicked for doing so and so I didn’t buy one.

This might be ideal for him 

But there will be no "cast" on it and it will actually teach you bad habits! Which is worst than no practicing.

On 04/03/2022 at 16:07, nicknsd1978 said:

No, Not for me thankyou, I will wait for it coming out in grade 4 or 5 woodwork.😁