Mail man delivered my new beemanR7. We are trying to get into airgunning as we want to start iguana hunting.

NoBodyImportant

We got a large assortment of pellets but so far the eco2 and JSB exact are shooting ragged holes at 25 yards.    The excite plinkers are not doing so well.  Unfortunately my 1-4 leupold scope i ordered is blurry on the bottom as you see the sights but I had a weaver 3x9 scope laying around.  Not sure if I want higher scope rings or just keep the 3x9 on it.  I might pick up the R9 as my son has claimed the r7.  Plan on taking the boat down to Florida this summer and pop a few iguanas. 

41AA7166-233B-4F4C-83D0-2D985CD1750D.jpeg

5137C965-F202-4BB7-ABDD-04CE868507B1.jpeg

Also ordered some different .22 pellets to try to get the Diana 34 making smaller groups but I honestly think my Diana is a lemon. 

Edited by NoBodyImportant

9 hours ago, strimmer_13 said:

You dont **** about when you order ammunition do you! 

Most flat heads will usually be very accurate upto 20 yards. Ive always had alright results with excites. 

I got 20 cans of the cheapos to entertain the kid and the pretty much one of everything else in stock to try.  Once I find the pellets the gun like I will order that.  The cheap pellets were on sale.  My wife, son, I will set around a fire and burn a 500rd tin in a day. We used to shoot 500rds of 22lr but that’s double what it used to be.  Plus we are having fun finding what pellets it likes and what it doesn’t.  We are making two piles of buy more/ don’t buy. Funny thing is the cheap eco2s did really well.  

8 hours ago, Ultrastu said:

I'm not sure a hw30 will have enough energy to take a big iguana  reliably .

Maybe the little ones .? 

We will see, I never hunted them before.  I used to visit Florida about every other year but it’s been like 4 years since because of Covid.  So this summer I’m taking the boat down to fish some reefs, since gas is so expensive I want to get more use out of the boat by running the canals.  They are everywhere along the canals.     I had one jump on my back a few years back and I dang near jumped out of my boat.  But because of the houses and stuff I wouldn’t want to much power. 

On 07/02/2022 at 17:33, NoBodyImportant said:

We will see, I never hunted them before.  I used to visit Florida about every other year but it’s been like 4 years since because of Covid.  So this summer I’m taking the boat down to fish some reefs, since gas is so expensive I want to get more use out of the boat by running the canals.  They are everywhere along the canals.     I had one jump on my back a few years back and I dang near jumped out of my boat.  But because of the houses and stuff I wouldn’t want to much power. 

My first thought when you mentioned hunting iguana,  was I wonder if you can eat them . Well after a few minutes on Google,  it looks like they make some pretty good eating 👍.      I was also surprised to see that you can get paid to cull them 👍.

10 hours ago, mel b3 said:

My first thought when you mentioned hunting iguana,  was I wonder if you can eat them . Well after a few minutes on Google,  it looks like they make some pretty good eating 👍.      I was also surprised to see that you can get paid to cull them 👍.

Yeah, hard pass on eating lizard.  Some counties will pay bounties on them but it’s so little it’s not worth turning them in for. 

8 hours ago, spandit said:

I've eaten iguana in Mexico - it's very tasty. Texture of a firm fish but tastes like chicken, like most things 🙂

I had alligator before and found it a lobster taste but extremely awful texture. 

We are about 500-1000 pellets down range and it definitely seems to be accurate.  I am starting to question its power output.  At 50 yards I’m holding 8in over the point of impact and I’m bouncing off some soda bottles.   I’d say it’s a 25yard max gun but I am not sure of it ability to ethically kill.  I am not regretting it’s purchase as  target shooting at my fishing shack was a main purpose and the neighbors are extremely close.  

It's a .177 yes ? 

Mine did around 6 fpe with falcon acc plus pellets (these were by far the most accurate and the most efficient  for power ) every thing else pellet wise was lower energy .most around the 4 .8 - 5 fpe Mark 

Try jsb rs . These are the same as the falcons  (re branded ) at7.3 grns (.177 ) and 13.4  in .22 

If its a.22 it should do around 8 fpe with the jsb rs .maybe 9 fpe if your lucky .

These guns  are  designed  for 10 yd target shooting .at which they excel. They weren't really designed  as a hunter .but will dispatch rats and small birds out to 20 / 25 yds with little issue .rabbits up to 20  at a push .

2 minutes ago, Ultrastu said:

It's a .177 yes ? 

Mine did around 6 fpe with falcon acc plus pellets (these were by far the most accurate and the most efficient  for power ) every thing else pellet wise was lower energy .most around the 4 .8 - 5 fpe Mark 

Try jsb rs . These are the same as the falcons  (re branded ) at7.3 grns (.177 ) and 13.4  in .22 

Yea it is a .177.  I believe 6fpe is what I read somewhere.  

OK. 

Due to the small swept volume of the cylinder these gun can never make huge or even standard power .of bigger guns .

But its this slimmed down action that makes them such a joy to shoot and very accurate .

To get the best from this gun in terms of accuracy  and energy and sweetness of firing .

Buy a tin of jsb rs 7.3 grn   .or failibg that jsb express at 7.9 grns  .nothing else on the market will come close .

Believe  me .

Cheers stu  .

5 hours ago, Ultrastu said:

OK. 

Due to the small swept volume of the cylinder these gun can never make huge or even standard power .of bigger guns .

But its this slimmed down action that makes them such a joy to shoot and very accurate .

To get the best from this gun in terms of accuracy  and energy and sweetness of firing .

Buy a tin of jsb rs 7.3 grn   .or failibg that jsb express at 7.9 grns  .nothing else on the market will come close .

Believe  me .

Cheers stu  .

I believe I bought two tins on the jsb 7.33s

Good. 

As they will probably  be the lightest pellet you have and give the greatest muzzle energy .coupled with a good bc for there weight . They should have the flattest trajectory and deliver the most energy on target (sub 30 yds ) and be the most accurate to boot .they really are the ideal pellet for this gun . For pure tin whopping fun a jsb flat head pellet of around 8 grns go well too .

The Webley Mosquito is also a very light pellet. Pity you are so far away as I have almost a full box of 500 you could try as my rifle does not like them. They do not work well in a magazine rifle but singly loaded they are fine.   7.57 or there abouts.... my old eyes can't quite see the tiny letters. this morning.  Sounds a fun little gun for a youngster to learn on.

Re your blurred vision through the scope - just take the standard sights off and put them in a box for safe keeping. The reason you get the blurred fixed sights in the sight picture from the leup is because low magnification has much greater depth of focus, as does a smaller diameter objective lens - higher magnification and larger front lens BOTH reduce depth of focus.

For fast target acquisition a lower power scope is preferable, high magnificatin that you have to fiddle with the focus every time is a pain in the neck in the field. You want to be able to see the target, lift the rifle and shoot, not faff about fiddling with the scope... I shoot virtually everything on 6x through either a 40mm or 32mm scope. That included professional stalking and fox culling out to 800 yards. The 6x is plenty for that and for pigeons and squirrels (iguanas are similar hunting, just in a different scenario).  If I am shooting close quarters, then I turn it down to 4x for the greater depth of field and wider field of view to pick up rats running across th eyard, that kind of thing.

I look forward to seeing some of your exploits.