Rabbit hotel anyone?

spandit

Well i did find that article interesting. I've seen 1 rabbit all winter, and we saw it on Sunday whilst walking the dog, in the same field last summer i saw 3 there. They are the only rabbits i've seen around here in West Wales since pre covid. If i ever saw one whilst out shooting, i'd leave it alone. Boy do i miss hunting in the late summer along hedgerows with my air rifle. Picking "one for the pot" from the half a dozen that are along the hedgerow. 

On 08/02/2022 at 17:25, 39TDS said:

Spent a lifetime trying to wipe them out, never thought I would succeed. 

I am feeling more and more that I am from a different world, here we are building "hotels" in order to encourage rabbits.

You didn’t succeed.

VHD did 

Driving last night my Mrs said to me to put the bunny dazzlers on (main beam), I replied what’s the point, there are not any bunnies. 

where I live there are still a few, one or two. Here and there, but no major populations any longer.

11 hours ago, scolopax said:

You didn’t succeed.

VHD did 

Driving last night my Mrs said to me to put the bunny dazzlers on (main beam), I replied what’s the point, there are not any bunnies. 

where I live there are still a few, one or two. Here and there, but no major populations any longer.

Of course I didn't succeed, didn't succeed on my own patch never mind anywhere else.

I still have rabbits and they still eat my apple trees but I haven't shot one for a long time, might even be 2 years. Last year they built up to be quite numerous and above the levels at which I would cull normally. I still didn't shoot any as they don't matter as much as they used to.

There are a small number around at the moment, the most noticeable thing is I have not seen any of this years young where I would have expected to at least a few weeks back. There is a buzzard on patrol though so maybe that is keeping them out of sight. I am pretty confident VHD was present this time last year as I saw quite a few dead rabbits with no other obvious explanation. It hasn't wiped them out though, just like myxy didn't and just like I didn't.

I imagine with the rate they normally breed, there is likely to be growing immunity to VHD and populations will recover in time, although not immediately.

Still seeing them on the trailcam here but haven't seen one with my own eyes for a while, I admit. I have plenty of places they could shelter from aerial predators should they so wish

59 minutes ago, Dave-G said:

Someone recently told me a rifle got removed for insufficient bullet purchase - that was from a friend of a friend so may or may not be the whole story.

Not sure how that would work really, unless the maximum you were authorised to possess was a box of 25 and you hadn’t bought any for about ten years,  but you never know. 

Edited by Scully