Justified? I know what i think

monkeyjaimz

Having a laugh!

"sod the discretion, if you get away with it once, you may feel that you can get away with it every time. then that 4 seconds turns into 20 seconds, turns into 2 minutes and then turns into ****-ending someone that has stopped or hitting a kid who has run out."

You admit to and condone speeding but.... do you consider that only talking on the phone can result in "ending someone that has stopped or hitting a kid who has run out"

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The problem with responding to these threads is that it tends to come under the heading of, "if you haven't got anything nice to say, say nothing".

I have every sympathy with you monkeyjaimz and have to admit that on rare occasions, I have also picked up a ringing phone whilst driving.

However, if I got caught doing that, it would just go down on the list as, "one of those things".

A bit like getting caught in a radar trap, or by a speed camera.

The question is always the same, "am I guilty ?" and the answer would have to be, "yes".

Spot on.

Although common sense deserted the police a long time ago, we all know that using a phone while driving will get you a tug if you're seen. Just as we all know doing 33mph on a 30 zone is breaking the law. Even though we all probably do it, we all still know that we face the consequences when caught.

If you willingly use you phone when driving, you're leaving yourself open to be done. Petty or not on the police's behalf, the law is on the books, so it's a simple choice we must either abide by it, or willingly break it and face the penalties.

"only talking on the phone"

I would love to know what the accident figures are when a comparison is made between speeding and distractions.

As for condoning speeding, yes, in certain situations you will find that most people (including the traffic police) condone speeding. Examples are on the A1M, travelling at 80mph instead of 70mph. Doesnt mean its legal, doesnt mean I dont deserve to be punished for it should I be caught. I imagine that if I went to my local police station and confessed to speeding, they would laugh and ask me to leave.

Obviously I dont condone speeding to excess, as this in most situations is very dangerous.

I watch a few of those police programmes eg Traffic cops and Police Camara Action. And you always see the police letting people of. I remember this one A Sports car was going too fast for a corner and lost control a bit he crossed over double solid white lines at the same time the copper was approuching the other way and just saw everything wat had just happened, so the copper turned around caught up with the car and stopped him copper said " Do you know why Im stopping you" Driver Said "yeap" Copper said " you lost control and crossed double solid white lines" driver said" Sorry Sir" then the copper said " Alrite I can give you a fine for driving dangourously or I could give you a warning" then he talks to him about this a bit more and at the end the copper let him of with just a warning.

Mate I think they where a bit to harsh on you.

And dont you think they should be on the streets taking illegal guns of the kids instead of going round in their cars looking for a miner offence.

Blimey, it looks like if you drive whilst on the phone for a nanosecond or 2 miles over the speed limit you will be involved in or cause some gruesome accident the likes of which will put us off our dinners forever.

What hogwash.

Mung,

Do you think anyone ever intentionally sets out in the car "intending" to knock someone over?, today i am going out and run someone over, crash into a bike etc etc.

The fact is, your concentration is not fully on the job in hand, and it is a serious job, so concentration has to be focused.

Speeding and or talking on the phone will not automatically result in a fatal accident.

Accordingly, the police have discretion not to prosecute.

This is all about could the copper have let him off?

The answer is "yes" but there appears to be reluctance for some to admit that a warning would have been appropriate or would suffice given the circumstances (assume not exceeding the speed, no loss of control, brief call etc). I can't see why some cannot see that a warning was within the realms of a reasonable response from the Police.

If we are wanting to be totally pedantic then surely James with his 400 bhp super car would not know it was work phoning him as he would not look at his phone to see who was calling ? Boasting about the output of a car is like saying " I have a gun but never make it go bang ".

Back on topic the copper had an easy " crime " solved and appeased his boss :good:

Edited to add I dont go on the internet to boast about the output of my car, nor my age and how I get away with speeding :blush:

it also concerns me that you werent observant enough whilst driving to spot a police car behind you. even if it was unmarked, the multitude of mirrors, aerials and strobe lights under the front grill give them away.

At what point whilst checking all the paraphnalia on this "Un-marked" Car was he supposed to look at the road ahead and not run into the back of something or run over somebody.

I'm with Mungler on this one, the law is there to guide and common sense should prevail, not be there to be used as a money making scheme against the normally law abiding citizen . The number of accidents hasn't suddenly stopped since the law came in about mobile phones and nor has it dramatically dropped since the banning of smoking in company vehicles nor will it change due to the ban of smoking whilst at the wheel of any vehicle.

How many people have seen coppers on there own either on a bike (Pedal not motorcycle) or in a car use their radios whilst driving/riding. Don't see them getting fined, losing their jobs, getting points etc. etc.

As to Mungler's comment about how many of us DO NOT break the law whilst driving to and from whether if only for a brief second. Let those that have not committed sin cast the first stone.

SS

Good question hippi, seems you need all the help you can get judging from your previous topics. I refer you to your latest effort regarding your new permission and the farmer asking you to check what you can kill/cull. troll

I must admit Digger I was confused by his post :blush: , so ignored it and wrote againest his other one instead. :good::good:

SS

If we are wanting to be totally pedantic then surely James with his 400 bhp super car would not know it was work phoning him as he would not look at his phone to see who was calling

my ringtones are set with different tunes for different people.

saying I have a 400bhp evo is no different to being asked if I shoot and replying "I shoot an FAC air rifle" or something similar.

I imagine that if I went to my local police station and confessed to speeding, they would laugh and ask me to leave.

Are you sure about that? :good:

I fear the thread may have gone a little wayward, mung seems to have got the point and idea that a firm warning from a traffic cop in a car with the lights and sirens going is enough to put someone off re-offending in certain cases (it certainly would me), 3 points and a fine is just overkill and a bit of a cash cow IMHO.

I explained to the officer that I have a handsfree in my car, I was in a work van, on work time, the call was from work, lasted 4 seconds (which I proved to him), I didnt lose control of the vehicle at all and he still decided to impose the maximum punishment :good:

Perhaps it's just me, but I thought that the 'Local British Bobby' was a guy you could rely on to be upstanding and reasonable, to judge each case he came across on its own merits etc. apparantly not :blush:

If you choose to use a mobile phone when driving, you have chosen not to be in full control of the car. Minor speeding is not a valid comparison - both are illegal but doing 32 in a 30 zone does not mean the car is out of control. A better comparison would be to choose to have a few beers before you drive, in either case the driver has made a choice that reduces his ability to react and to control the car.

Drivers who are on the phone do things to avoid using their phone hand, eg failing to stop for pedestrians at crossings because they'd have to change gear. I see it several times every day in London from a pedestrian's point of view.

I was waiting to cross a road and a car came off the adjacent roundabout. The driver was on the phone and even though he wasn't going fast, he couldn't get enough lock on to make the turn cleanly because he was effectively driving with one hand. He clipped and mounted the kerb, missing me only because I jumped back, drove along for a few yards with both two wheels on the pavement before getting back on the road and continuing his journey still on the phone.

Was he traffic, young in service?

Personally I start off very low and give people the benefit of the doubt, (obviously depending on what they've done), and depending on their attitude deal with the matter accordingly.

I remember as a probationer having to stick an old guy on who had stopped on the zigzags of a zebra crossing to deliver a punctured tyre to a workshop. I felt awful about the whole thing and have applied "massive" discretion since.

Do unto others as others would do unto you :blush:

I couldn't be a traffic cop because I'd feel so hypocritical - I love a bit of speed, (obviously when its safe etc etc).

P.

Monkeyjaimz,

I drive around in an unmarked police car most of the time and and have dished out loads of tickets for people using a mobile phone while driving. Everyone of those people knew that they were not supposed to do it but they all made the decision themselves the answer or make the call.

I have had all the sob storys and excuses possible and ignore all of them. I don't care why someone answered the phone but I do care about the innocent law abiding members of the public who are going about their business who don't want to get killed or injured by some idiot on the phone.

My priority at work is catching criminals not people on the phone but if i see them I will deal with them.

It's your fault you got the ticket not the police's. Be an adult and accept it.

Harry

Sorry you got nicked mate.I am a complete hypocrite in that I cant stand the drivers hurtling round a corner towards me and my family on our side of the road with a mobile clamped to their ear.I wonder where the cops are.I hope if they do hit me head on then the last thing they see will be me nutting them.My mates lad had his pelvis broken by a guy on his phone who drove accross a pedestrian crossing.

BUT...if my phone rings...and I just cant be ar**d pulling over...wondering if its work...or the Mrs wanting me to pick up milk...I will take the call and am really aware my driving is **** with my mind on the phone and not the road.I would be miffed and embarressed to get even warned never mind nicked as a fine would be food out of my kids mouth but would accept it.It has to stop somewhere somehow.

Perhaps it's just me, but I thought that the 'Local British Bobby' was a guy you could rely on to be upstanding and reasonable, to judge each case he came across on its own merits etc. apparantly not :blush:

Sorry Harry, I stand by the above statement.

Part of being an adult is being able to use your 'hopefully educated' brain and make judgement calls day to day.

As far as catching REAL criminals goes, the law enforcement ilk didnt have that on the top of their list of priorities when I was almost killed by the guy who burgled my house and stole my car a couple of years ago, perhaps they had 3 days worth of fixed penalties and parking tickets to hand out before remembering about me?

I don't know any officer that goes around looking for minor offences of course we all want to catch billy burglar its just a shame it doesn't happen that often.

After having to scrape up bits of a motorist and then help deliver the death message to his family while i could still smell his blood in my nose i decided to **** discretion regarding mobiles.

The accident was caused by another drivers loss of concentration while on the phone.

I use discretion all the time for seat belts, lights out ect... But i don't see any excuse for using a mobile while driving at all, most phones come with hands free now anyway, if not they must cost pennies.

I never go out looking for people on the phone as my role is going from job to job responding to 9's calls, but if its waved in my face of course i'll do something about it.

As for them not seeing you for 3 days after what happened to you, thats disgusting no excuse for that!

It really annoys me to see people on their mobiles whilst driving. It would be far more of a deterrent if instead of three points and £60 the Plods could confiscate the phone and destroy it on the spot. That would really hurt a lot of the mobile phone obsessed muppets.

I live in Norfolk and drive 20 miles each way to work. 15 miles of that is on Major roads (for Norfolk!). Between 6am and 7am I would say that about 1 in 6 of the drivers I see are on their phone. Far and away the worst offenders are Truckers. It is less than that during the daytime, but people still totally ignore the law.

The Norfolk Plods have unmarked cars and could make a fortune out of nicking people if they could be ***** to make the effort. But they can't.