tony3

what can i say, I've been shooting for many years  from target to hunting, but i have always had a soft spot for rabbit shooting, I've used shotguns including moderated  which for bolting rabbits or shooting over ferrets are brilliant, I've used sub air rifles and FAC which have their place, and of course the .22lr which i have the  sako finnfire, which is a very accurate , but today was my first use of a CZ452 .17 American, with a Hawke 44x16x50 scope. i shot 3 for 3 using Hornby 17grain  v-max polymer tip  i cannot believe the accuracy and the distance i took the rabbits, the first was close about 30 yards i think the bullet went straight through as there was no pelt damage only a small hole  the next was  around  60 yards again no pelt damage, but the third was over a hundred yards i paced it to 120, it was a shot that with my .22lr i would have thought twice about, but with the .17 the bullet hit exactly where I placed the cross hair, only damage was a small entry  hole with a slightly larger exit. i expected more damage to the rabbits but all 3 are edible. i did notice the crack of the bullet when fired but it didn't disturb the rabbits. sum up had a brilliant morning. 

regards Tony 

I have the HMR and a 17 Remington. I believe I was the first person to bring a 17 Remington into the uK back in 1986 but will happily stand corrected on that. My first was a Martini actioned single shot, custom made by a gunsmith near Detroit and that little gun accounted for hundreds of rabbits and other vermin up to fox.  It got a lot of attention when we displayed it on our Game Fair stands. The 17 Rem will easily handle shots out to 300yrds but of course being such a light weight bullet it needs a bit of wind judgement.     I have regularly shot rabbits out to 180-190yrds with the HMR.   The 17s are some of my favorite calibres and I am led to believe the Hornet is a cracker.

I also shot a fair few javelina and coyote with the 17 Rem in Texas it will do the job on that size animal at short ranges.

Edited by Walker570

22 hours ago, Walker570 said:

I have the HMR and a 17 Remington. I believe I was the first person to bring a 17 Remington into the uK back in 1986 but will happily stand corrected on that. My first was a Martini actioned single shot, custom made by a gunsmith near Detroit and that little gun accounted for hundreds of rabbits and other vermin up to fox.  It got a lot of attention when we displayed it on our Game Fair stands. The 17 Rem will easily handle shots out to 300yrds but of course being such a light weight bullet it needs a bit of wind judgement.     I have regularly shot rabbits out to 180-190yrds with the HMR.   The 17s are some of my favorite calibres and I am led to believe the Hornet is a cracker.

I also shot a fair few javelina and coyote with the 17 Rem in Texas it will do the job on that size animal at short ranges.

I have had both Rimfire 17'S, A Sako custom Fireball and now the Hornet.  The Hornet is my favourite, not sure but it just does a great job with virtually no noise to speak off.