AYA Coral,

redial

Obsolescence. But, heck, what does it matter as long as BASC can protect its massive investment of members' money in the British Game Alliance so as to protect the interests of big bag commercial shooting whilst the "little people" that run shoots where all the game is shared can whistle as many family owned heirloom guns become economically unusable?

10 minutes ago, enfieldspares said:

Obsolescence. But, heck, what does it matter as long as BASC can protect its massive investment of members' money in the British Game Alliance so as to protect the interests of big bag commercial shooting whilst the "little people" that run shoots where all the game is shared can whistle as many family owned heirloom guns become economically unusable?

But they’re not unusable. Just use lead, it hasn’t been banned!
I don’t know of anyone who has shot driven birds with steel this season just gone. 

The clock is ticking.

44 minutes ago, enfieldspares said:

Good point.

12 hours ago, Scully said:

I don’t know of anyone who has shot driven birds with steel this season just gone. 

Yep. Just grab it quick before someone else does and have it opened up to something that is more in line with your needs.

Can lead be banned until the lead suppliers have met their contractual agreements and their stock is depleted? Then the same applies to the shot makers and then in turn the cartridge makers followed by the distributors, then retailers. Finally, the end users will need  some time to use up their existing stock. This ain't going to happen next week, nor possibly in this decade. Enjoy.

15 hours ago, Scully said:

My Daughter and I have been using steel on the little syndicate driven shoot this season. I started out on it and found it fine for my needs. Went back to lead to use up our stocks. My daughter started the season on lead whilst I did the experimenting, then swapped over to steel. She found she got on better with it; not sure why but it just seemed to work for her.

1 hour ago, Dangerous Brian said:

My Daughter and I have been using steel on the little syndicate driven shoot this season. I started out on it and found it fine for my needs. Went back to lead to use up our stocks. My daughter started the season on lead whilst I did the experimenting, then swapped over to steel. She found she got on better with it; not sure why but it just seemed to work for her.

Can I ask what your 'needs' were and if you were using standard or superior cartridges?

I've been using more steel this year - especially for my walked up shooting. And while i've found the 30g '5's a little anemic for some ducks, the 32g '4's coped admirably (also on driven ducks)

Edited by PeterHenry

1 hour ago, PeterHenry said:

Can I ask what your 'needs' were and if you were using standard or superior cartridges?

I've been using more steel this year - especially for my walked up shooting. And while i've found the 30g '5's a little anemic for some ducks, the 32g '4's coped admirably (also on driven ducks)

We have been using a combination of Eley VIP Pro Eco Steel 5s for pheasant and 3s for duck which worked for us. Both are standard steel specification (Eley size 3 being just under the CIP limit for HP steel). One unlucky duck came over the line and was dropped dead with 5s but that was hit in the head and neck so not much to go on, though I think 3s or 4s are a better option for them (just a gut feeling).

One thing to watch is how these cartridges pattern in different guns despite having the same nominal chokes. Get some wallpaper and have a try so if there is a problem in the field you will have an idea whether it's lack of pattern/ oomph/ talent.

3 hours ago, Dangerous Brian said:

We have been using a combination of Eley VIP Pro Eco Steel 5s for pheasant and 3s for duck which worked for us. Both are standard steel specification (Eley size 3 being just under the CIP limit for HP steel). One unlucky duck came over the line and was dropped dead with 5s but that was hit in the head and neck so not much to go on, though I think 3s or 4s are a better option for them (just a gut feeling).

One thing to watch is how these cartridges pattern in different guns despite having the same nominal chokes. Get some wallpaper and have a try so if there is a problem in the field you will have an idea whether it's lack of pattern/ oomph/ talent.

👍