Strange sight tonight.

Mice!

So where my caravan is is pretty dark at night, you get very little light pollution compared to some places, the night sky or Early morning can be amazing, often with too much to look at.

I've often tried taking photos with my phone, but there rubbish and never show what I'm seeing. 

I came out tonight about 7:30pm and thought there was a nip in the air then looked up, a few wispy bits of cloud with the stars showing so a cold night ahead.

I looked around and there was the moon, but the strange thing was the cloud,  there was a perfect circle of cloud all around the moon, like a picture frame, but because the area around the moon was clear it looked like a black hole with the moon at its centre, there was no cloud blowing across the border of cloud and it was a big area.

Has anyone seen this before? Is it some kind of natural phenomenon?

I drove 5 mins up the road and there was nothing to see??

22 minutes ago, Mice! said:

So where my caravan is is pretty dark at night, you get very little light pollution compared to some places, the night sky or Early morning can be amazing, often with too much to look at.

I've often tried taking photos with my phone, but there rubbish and never show what I'm seeing. 

I came out tonight about 7:30pm and thought there was a nip in the air then looked up, a few wispy bits of cloud with the stars showing so a cold night ahead.

I looked around and there was the moon, but the strange thing was the cloud,  there was a perfect circle of cloud all around the moon, like a picture frame, but because the area around the moon was clear it looked like a black hole with the moon at its centre, there was no cloud blowing across the border of cloud and it was a big area.

Has anyone seen this before? Is it some kind of natural phenomenon?

I drove 5 mins up the road and there was nothing to see??

Did you get a picture 😉

Yes, I have witnessed it a fair few times over the years. I am always stunned as well,  by how huge the moon looks as it eases over the horizon on a clear night, magnified by the earths atmosphere.    You can see why thousands of years ago humans worshiped these things.   We know so much about the universe around us these days we have a tendency to take it for granted.

10 minutes ago, 12gauge82 said:

Looking up at night never ceases to amaze me. 

Its little wonder that people hundreds of years ago and before came up with all sorts of wacky ideas to try and explain what they saw, due to having very little understanding of how our solar system works. 

Then when these people understand the world is not flat they go onto Facebook look at Wild Justice  and think they know all about conservation from there bbc idols - as re introducing beavers is going to save red squirrels! 

sorry rant over ! Feel better 

Agriv8

6 hours ago, 12gauge82 said:

Looking up at night never ceases to amaze me. 

Its little wonder that people hundreds of years ago and before came up with all sorts of wacky ideas to try and explain what they saw, due to having very little understanding of how our solar system works. 

They call it “religion”.

12 hours ago, Ratlegs said:

I was told sixty years ago

Far ring      near rain

Near ring   far rain

For those who travel the field at night

The man that I was apprenticed under was full of old country lore sayings and what you have written is the nearest to one that he used to say.  His saying was, "near burgh,  far........  far burgh, near". This cou try ssying was a noted effect of weather conditions.   Basically what is happening is the light reflected by the moon is refracted through either ice crystals or water droplets in the atmosphere.  It's  a similar effect to red sky at night shepherds delight.   It's just light being refracted through something in the atmosphere that was linked to the following days weather.

21 hours ago, islandgun said:

This is happening now here, not sure what it is but im staying in till its gone

360_F_308365662_XDu5WyTWkj71KI3lHp4YJR75DoofHVef.jpg.bce133fb64039c02960dbe1bbc08d943.jpg 

I have a big ball of fire in the sky too, and a frozen windscreen, however the conservatory is warming up nicely, into double figures already ...