Cressida Dick to resign

welsh1

Priti Patel will be part responsible for choosing her successor. God help us. For Patel it'll be all about getting headlines and nothing about effective actual policing which actually isn't about headlines. Let's hope that Khan as an actual Londoner born and bred at least manages to get a better outcome to the choice of replacement especially with policing the underground and buses. Cressida D's only input to the former was seeing Jean Charles de Menezes shot to death. 

Edited by enfieldspares

Gold Commander at the time of the shooting of the totally innocent Silva e de Menezes on the tube in London; for which unbelievably no one was ever banged up. Since then she has stumbled from one disaster to another. Now she has chosen to fall on her sword before suffering the disgrace of being sacked. Still retains a disgustingly large pension pot no doubt.

2 hours ago, Stuarta said:

I bet the next one will not be a white male experienced police officer. He won’t tick the right PC boxes

Similar to my thoughts as soon as I saw Khan waffling about her, but I reckon at least some of it was to do with white wimen not being acceptable in positions of authority

So which of these views is correct? Seems to me Mr Khan, Miss Cooper and Mr Davey are all bang on the money. Only the Tory's left wide of the mark, again?

Prime Minister Boris Johnson said Dame Cressida "has served her country with great dedication and distinction over many decades".

Mr Khan said he was "not satisfied" with Dame Cressida's response and that she "will be stepping aside" as a result.

Home Secretary Priti Patel said the police chief held the role "during challenging times" and that she "exemplified the increasingly diverse nature of our police".

Labour's shadow home secretary Yvette Cooper thanked Dame Cressida for her public service and said reform was needed to rebuild public confidence after recent cases.

Lib Dem leader Sir Ed Davey said a change in the force's leadership was "long overdue".

He added that Boris Johnson, whose part in the Downing Street parties held during lockdown is still being investigated by the Met, must have no role in choosing her successor.

Beats me how the head of the met gets serious stick for poor performance at her job.

The head of the Tories gets serious stick for not performing well at his job.

But saying the ex head of the CPS didn't perform well in his old job is really bad form because celebrity child abuse is treated as such a low priority crime.

10 hours ago, nobbyathome said:

I could tell you what I think of khan but 4 letter words will get me banned from the forum !!!!   what he has done for the drivers in London over the last few years is unreal if you are a tree hugging electric pushbike rider you are fine anyone else is going to suffer grrrrrrrrr

The price of change and public health. 

2 minutes ago, oowee said:

The price of change and public health. 

well thats your opinion oowee  and you are entitled to it i work in central london for a major courier company and khan has decimated driving vehicles in central london we supply thousands of companies deliveries every day and it will not be long before we can not get to there buildings to do our job khan should spend his time reducing crime and do his best for affordable housing for people to live  fat lot of good sorting out the air  pollution if no one can afford to live in london 

12 hours ago, Gordon R said:

I don't care what the gender or colour of the next Chief is - just get a decent one. When Khan is saying Cressida was bad, she must have been terrible. Almost as bad as the Mayor.

who is going to throw their hat in the ring..........are they queuing up for the job..........what a thank less task

8 minutes ago, ditchman said:

who is going to throw their hat in the ring..........are they queuing up for the job..........what a thank less task

Oh, I don't know, what's not to like. Get the job, keep your sheet clean for as long as possible while groveling for a title. Then when you've got it and you've had enough, leg it with a nice fat gratuity and pension to match at a relatively young age with a good few years in which to enjoy a comfortable life.

32 minutes ago, wymberley said:

Oh, I don't know, what's not to like. Get the job, keep your sheet clean for as long as possible while groveling for a title. Then when you've got it and you've had enough, leg it with a nice fat gratuity and pension to match at a relatively young age with a good few years in which to enjoy a comfortable life.

This. And all wrong. But that's the "gravy train" and how it is. 100%.

34 minutes ago, wymberley said:

where can I apply please???

Just like her predecessor, the hapless clown Hogan-Howe, **** has presided over a cabal of senior officers who have all looked out for each other's backs. Actual on the ground police work and getting rid of the age old stink of corruption in the Met apparently hasn't been anywhere on the priority list.

Useless as she is, Cressida **** exemplifies the price we have to pay when officially sanctioned diversity trumps ability. The watchword for all meaningful appointments, whether in the police or elsewhere, should simply be merit and fitness for the role,  not some points based process looking primarily at race, gender or sexual orientation.