Optima moonlighter

pigeonbasher oz

Blast from the past, these where the one you dreamt about as a young man (amongst other things) the other was the "Super Moonlighter with if i remember was the 56mm lenses huge by all other standards at the time, 

"John Darling" was one of the guys that used to advertise these. Huge price tag of around £80 early 80s that was loads of dosh in them days. 

19 hours ago, pigeonbasher oz said:

Iv acquired a optima 3=9x 40 moonlighter scope . Now 40 yrs ago these were the bees knees are they still desirable??

I think the “Moonlighter” was a 3-9x45 size.

I have the 3-9x40 Optima, bought new in ‘79 or ‘80 with my HW35E, and I think the Moonlighter came out soon after I purchased mine.

11 hours ago, Accuspell said:

Seen through rose tinted glasses of nostalgia in reality. The similar era Simmonds WTCs were far better scopes, even the Tascos were better. That same nostalgia and the legacy of JD will provide a financial buffer though - £95 ish would be about the mark.

That’s true, I still have two WTC’s and agree, they were better optics, as were the Japanese tasco scopes. The optima’s were ok, but nothing outstanding in my opinion.

• 2 years later...

I still have an Optima Super Moonlighter (3-9 x 56mm) purchased new in 1981 for £65.00, only thing missing are the end caps. Back in the day I had it matched to a .22 HW80 which cost £80 in the same year. On the end of the mussel was a Galway silencer. Loved this set-up.