.223 Fox ammunition

I'm sure this has been well covered on here but a few searches haven't really shown anything up.

I am picking up a Tikka T3 Lite in .223 (1 in 8 twist) on Saturday morning. I will be using it for lamping foxes at max 200 yards (mostly 80-150 yards). Rather than do too much experimenting with ammunition can anyone tell me from their own experience what I should be trying to buy (make, grains, tips etc), rather than buy 300 rounds of the wrong thing and clog up the cabinet?

Any pointers well received.

Thanks

You will find any 50 or 55gr hollow tip or balistic tip bullet will kill any fox very humainly the soft tip bullets seem to be more geared towards deer shooting placed in the right spot they will also do the job but arnt as forgiving as the hp's or bt's if they are not placed spot on.You might have to try different manufactures to see which groups best in your gun.

You will find any 50 or 55gr hollow tip or balistic tip bullet will kill any fox very humainly the soft tip bullets seem to be more geared towards deer shooting placed in the right spot they will also do the job but arnt as forgiving as the hp's or bt's if they are not placed spot on.You might have to try different manufactures to see which groups best in your gun.

:lol::lol: :( i'll second that!

Do what I did mate, I read what it said on the side of the box inch grouping at 100 yards. I also use a Tikka T3 Lite. Rang GMK up to find out what ammunition they use in the factory for testing guns with. They told me Sako ammo soft points 50/55 grain. They are right. Never had no trouble since using it, everything that's been pointed at has been dead at point of aim. :lol: :lol: :(

Do what I did mate, I read what it said on the side of the box inch grouping at 100 yards. I also use a Tikka T3 Lite. Rang GMK up to find out what ammunition they use in the factory for testing guns with. They told me Sako ammo soft points 50/55 grain. They are right. Never had no trouble since using it, everything that's been pointed at has been dead at point of aim. :lol: :lol: :(

Should really have thought of that one myself! Thanks.

Looks like I was being a bit naive and expecting to have some choice.

From what I can gather talking to a few RFD's I will need to take pretty much what I can get so am starting off with a couple of boxes of Federal Power Shok 55 gr rounds.

Will put a few through it on Sat am before the big match.

That's the only thing, RFD's do not stock all makes, so you will be limited on what they got, try to look out for American Eagle (made by federal) Frank used them in his .223 with very good results :lol:

Every time i went to my local RFD for ammo, i went from Winchester to Sako, then to Federal (for my .222) i had to re-zero my rifle, which is a pain, i now load my own and once you get into it more this is the route to go :lol: :(

Just started reloading and have spent a lot of time on http://www.reloadersnest.com/index.asp .

I decided to get some different weight bullets to load and try. with a 35 grain Balistic tip shooting a large spud at 100 yards the round didn't come out the other side! :lol: the side it hit got blown to bits though, and there were 3 tiny holes punched right through. Through the scope it just became a cloud.

With a 50 grain Nosler balistic tip the spud just dissapears! :lol:

I figured the 35 grainers would be just the job for long range bunney, the 50's for charlie. And I don't need to go to all the bother of getting a 17HMR :( ( well not just jet any how!)

I also get a sub 1" group at 100 yards whereas using remmington or Americain eagle the best I can manage is 1.5".

I know at 100 yards on a fox .5" is not too much to be bothered about but it's enough to make me go to the effort of reloading.

Kind regards

BG1 :lol:

Just started reloading and have spent a lot of time on http://www.reloadersnest.com/index.asp .

I decided to get some different weight bullets to load and try. with a 35 grain Balistic tip shooting a large spud at 100 yards the round didn't come out the other side! :exclamation: the side it hit got blown to bits though, and there were 3 tiny holes punched right through. Through the scope it just became a cloud.

With a 50 grain Nosler balistic tip the spud just dissapears! :good:

I figured the 35 grainers would be just the job for long range bunney, the 50's for charlie. And I don't need to go to all the bother of getting a 17HMR :good: ( well not just jet any how!)

I also get a sub 1" group at 100 yards whereas using remmington or Americain eagle the best I can manage is 1.5".

I know at 100 yards on a fox .5" is not too much to be bothered about but it's enough to make me go to the effort of reloading.

Kind regards

BG1 :lol:

Thanks that's great as it has answered my next question about reloading and how to get started. Seems like the logical progression, especially if you can't rely on being able to buy the same ammunition twice. And frankly anything that helps make me 33-50% (depending on how you look at it) more accurate is good news in my book!

Sorry I have not read all the thread, its a cracking morning and must get down the wood, I was advised and its good, was to start with the cheapest and easiest rounds to obtain and work upwards in cost, just because it is expensive doesnt mean its therefore the best for your rifle.

Hope this helps.

:exclamation: D2D

All rifles are different, some better than others.

In my CZ 527 .223 that i use to have, most factory ammo, grouped within an inch, at 100 yds.

The ammo i had great sucsess with, was Federal American Eagle 50 gr hallow pints and Federal Premium 40 gr Nosler Ballistic tips, although, the latter ammo were expensive, but deadly in widy conditons. :exclamation:

In all, at the end of the day, the eagles, were the cheapest, accurate and reliable round that i used most. :good:

Frank.

post-992-1191579495.jpg

Ahh the good old days frank...you used to knock some amount when your were out :good: Shane has a .223 the same as that and it very easily shoots sub 1" groups any day with american eagles and he hardly ever bothers even cleaning the thing :good: As for asking gmk whats the best to put down through it surely there going to say sako as they import the stuff,you should try all the different makes of ammo for your .223 its the best way of knowing the guns true potential just my opinion :exclamation:

Ahh the good old days frank...you used to knock some amount when your were out :lol: Shane has a .223 the same as that and it very easily shoots sub 1" groups any day with american eagles and he hardly ever bothers even cleaning the thing :lol:

Thanks Mark :yes:

Your knocking them down yourself pretty well mate. :no:;)

Shane should clean his rifle, as accuracy will go to pot, if copper builds up too much and then its a ****** to get the copper out. :lol::lol:

Also, their is a threat to pitting, once that sets in, it will never go and will get worse. :lol:

Frank.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Mc

I’m a bit surprised that you have gone for a 1-8 twist. Most 223 sporters are 1-12. It all stems from the change in military ammo that was originally 55grn 1-12 twist. In operation the 55grn bullets were found to be unstable at range so they changed to the 69grn bullet along with other reasons EG. The wounding potential of the ss109 bullet. The 1-8 twist is used by some target shooters at ranges using heavier bullets out at long range 600-1000 yards but may cause problems with lightly made varmint bullets. If you go into handloading and push the velocity up, the thin jacket of a varmint can strip off, causing bullet disintegration. Usually about a yard out of the muzzle. This is caused by the sheer centrifugal forces caused by the rotational speed imparted by the twist rate. Some factory ammo will shoot ok with that twist some wont. Don’t buy too much of any one sort to start with. See how they go.

Thanks to everyone who's chipped in.

It seems I won't have the luxury of trying out too many options for the time being. I can only get 55gr or 40gr Federal ammunition from the guys I use at the moment.

Might take a while but I will keep experimenting as I find the odd one of the Power Shoks way out of line. Last weekend I got six consec shots within a 2p piece then three way out (2 inches out at 100 yards?:good:) Good fun getting a through few the barrel though....

M