Retirement Pressy to me!

grahamch

Am looking for a new/used top quality OU game gun as my retirement present from me to me.

Must be 3 inch, steel proof and 28 inch barrels in 12 bore and weight no more than 7 pounds. Budget £9k. 

Any recommendations?

Have ruled a 20 out due to lack of load choice, seen nothing over 24g and don't want to homeload.

Edited by grahamch

16 bore would be my choice if only shooting low numbers but cartridges are £££.

two guys on our shoot have em an ok both are good shots but similar kill distances to 12 gauge.

rizzini round body in 16 would be my choice! As that’s what one of the guns has - but more importantly find one that fits 

Agriv8 

Get, as I have done when i sold my Boss just after Christmas, a good sound AYA Yeoman Ejector and spend the rest on shooting. Have the chokes opened to 1/4 and 1/4 in BOTH barrels and the forcing cones altered for use (when the day comes) with "standard steel" steel shot. Mine weighs 6lbs 14ozs. If OTOH you want to spend money look at Holt's and elsewhere...maybe Guntrader...for an AYA No1 or even a pair of AYA. They'll always sell when the time comes and are well made if unglamorous. You will struggle for anything O/U in 12 Bore weighing less than 7lbs unless it has shorter barrels or an aluminium action. 

Or...look at a bespoke made Chapuis side by side or a Grulla or similar. I think Horton in Birmingham do both makers' guns.

https://www.hortonguns.com/gun-stock/

Edited by enfieldspares

1 hour ago, Agriv8 said:

16 bore would be my choice if only shooting low numbers but cartridges are £££.

two guys on our shoot have em an ok both are good shots but similar kill distances to 12 gauge.

rizzini round body in 16 would be my choice! As that’s what one of the guns has - but more importantly find one that fits 

Agriv8 

Have ruled out a 16 bore ad do quite a bit of goose shooting and haevy/non tox 16 bore loads are virtually non existant

23 minutes ago, grahamch said:

Why moved to wanted? Am looking for recommendations rather than a specific item, hence original location for posting??

Agree ... needs putting back ...

I can't think of a specific gun that would fit the bill .. but with that budget you could get a very nice B25 (C2G or something like that) and have enough to have something for the geese also ... some of the better B25's were also 3" chambers ...

At that money you are looking at a Beretta DT11 Gold Sport, Blaser F3 or Krieghoff K80. I would personally shoot all three to decide. 

I would also ‘only’ spend £8k on a fancy gun and leave £6/700 for a decent goose gun. You do not want to be taking your family heirloom down onto the foreshore.

26 minutes ago, Smokersmith said:

Under 7lbs?

Can't think to any top o/u ticking all the boxes. 7 lbs limit being the most challenging for new 3 inch steel proofed guns.. 

Agree with WalkeUp, I would buy 2 guns. A proper game gun and a wildfowling one. I have a Beretta SO3, great guns (the eell version would still be within the OP's budget) right weight but they are 2 3/4. As said, would NEVER use it on the foreshore... 

12 hours ago, Docleo said:

Can't think to any top o/u ticking all the boxes. 7 lbs limit being the most challenging for new 3 inch steel proofed guns.. 

Agree with WalkeUp, I would buy 2 guns. A proper game gun and a wildfowling one. I have a Beretta SO3, great guns (the eell version would still be within the OP's budget) right weight but they are 2 3/4. As said, would NEVER use it on the foreshore... 

Thinking along the same lines .. see my earlier post ...

20 hours ago, grahamch said:

Thanks all. Saw a 687eell this AM which l like a lot, not quite what was thinking about but it ticks most of boxes and leaves me with a bit of cash to get it properly fitted etc. Not too bad on weight  at 7lb 2oz

Have a look at the EELL Classic, nicer still.  Buy a synthetic Benelli for your Goose shooting.

Edited by Weihrauch17