Gun grease ???.

samboy

Hi gang.

I've been using schmierfix liqui moli. I don't like it much as it seems to turn black quickly even though i

clean my gun regularly. So can anyone recommend a clear grease please.

Thanks all.

I have a pot of 'high performance engineering grease with PTFE'. Just ordinary brown stuff as far as I can see. Its years old and used sparingly, as you should, it will last for a few more years yet. Doesn't go black either like the Schmeierfix does. Not sure that you need anything extraordinary or expensive to use on a shotgun.

In my view, any good grade general purpose grease - Castrol, Mobil, Halfords etc.  The job it does in a gun is 'light duty'. 

Key thing is cleanliness -  wipe off old grease when cleaning, taking away dirt, dust, grit etc with it ........ and apply just a smear of fresh clean grease on hinge pin and as said above "the barrel pivot and anywhere of high load".

Old grease with picked up dirt, grit, dust and similar forms a grinding paste.