I hate being told where to shoot

pigeon controller

Saturday and I’m out with DB, I picked him up at 8.30 and we started to look for birds the first two farms did not have much on the rape and while we were looking at a nice warm rape field in a valley out of the wind the farmer came over to talk to us. Can you shoot the field across the way as it was blue over yesterday and another shooter asked me if he could shoot it and I told him I already had shooters. ( Hidden Threat) We had already looked at that field and it was devoid of birds but we said we would look at it again and we left the farm. The field in the valley had no birds on it.

We drove to another part of the farm  about five miles away and we could see a good number of birds but they were all following the valley along a bridle path and footpaths, now this gets walked by dog people and horse people so is a No No .

We returned to the field that he told us to shoot , No Birds, so we drove to the closest rape on another farm, as we scanned it a few birds came from a local wood possibly spooked by dog walkers and they dropped straight in on the field.

Time was getting on and DB had a family meal to attend tonight so wanted to finish by 16.00. So we reluctantly went back to the field that we had been instructed to shoot and set up, it was now 12.00. By 13.00 we had shot six birds so DB asked if I would drop him at the other farm and we hoped that by doing that we could keep the birds on the move. I was back in my hide by 13.30 and I agreed to pack up at 15.00 so I had one and a half hours shooting as DB had taken the six shot birds as his decoys. As it worked out with us both shooting it kept a few birds on the move and when I packed up I had 33 birds and DB with 23. So we made the best of a bad day and complied with the farmers wishes.

100_3572.JPG

2 minutes ago, marsh man said:

Nice report , like they say on one of the auction antique programs , it not how it starts . it how it finish , and you finished with a score we would all be happy with , do you get a lot of roost shooting around your way to help to move them about ? , 

I tend not to roost shoot but we have one farm that DB will leave the hide and go and shoot a small conifer wood. In the past I have set up on the edge of a wood on the rape and that has bought me bonus birds as they return to roost.

15 hours ago, eggy74 said:

Bad day   33 birds in an hour and a half, sounds awful 🙄

It’s all a matter of scale. PC shoots a lot of pigeons and this post reflects that, to him it’s a poor session. 
I agree with you, I’d be happy shooting 33 in an hour and a half at this time of year on rape but pigeons are thin on the ground here through the winter for me. 
Well done for your perseverance, expect nothing less though. And I agree, there’s nothing worse than being told where to go knowing full well you know better! 

On 12/02/2022 at 19:49, mossy835 said:

i would be more than happy to shoot that many birds.

On 13/02/2022 at 10:03, Wilts#Dave said:

It’s all a matter of scale. PC shoots a lot of pigeons and this post reflects that, to him it’s a poor session. 
I agree with you, I’d be happy shooting 33 in an hour and a half at this time of year on rape but pigeons are thin on the ground here through the winter for me. 
Well done for your perseverance, expect nothing less though. And I agree, there’s nothing worse than being told where to go knowing full well you know better! 

Totally agree and hopefully I may post evidence of me reaching that number, thanks for the posts.

On 19/02/2022 at 14:08, Accuspell said:

Bloody hell, 30 birds and 20 birds - i think I have done well if I get 6 in a day. I get bigger numbers roost shooting with the air rifle. This decoying lark is a black art.

I'm glad there's someone on here like me, I rarely get into double figures. I do all the things you should do, spend lots of time on Reconnaissance, try different patterns, give thought to my position but never seem to get good numbers.  I  have come to the conclusion that I'm the opposite of a pigeon Magnet. I will never give up though, i love being out and one day you never know I might have a red letter day.  

I dont think it matters too much on an amateur basis how many you shoot as long as you have a good time. I've dabbled for a few years with the odd near double digit days but I've just come into a permission with significantly more pigeons so I'll hoping to up my game. I'm deffinateky finding decoying more challenging this time of year than over stubbles which is what I have mainly done before. Lots of large groups, timing and location seem more specific and decoying seems harder. Probably all down to my poor field craft so I will keep on trying.

• 2 weeks later...