What A Contrast From Last Week.

marsh man

Very rare the roost shooting is better the second week than it is the first , sometimes the weather will make a difference like dead flat calm the first week then a good ole blow the second week , but last week we had the weather dead right , cloudy , dry , mild and the main ingredient , a good blow , despite ideal weather there was a complete shortage of pigeons with very few shot .

Today we had very strong winds , dry and turned cold once the sun started to go down , me and a mate of mine got in the wood just after dinner and good numbers of pigeons were already in the wood and the odd shots had already started , I decided to go in a spot for comfort rather than go to an exposed spot where I would have had more shooting , I settle'd down on my seat behind a nice Rhoddy bush that sheltered me from the cold wind , right from the word go Pigeons were on the move , some I had to let go as I knew my body can't turn like it could when I was younger , this didn't bother me that much as some came in nicely and I was getting some shooting , I would say the best time was between 2pm and 3pm when pigeons were constantly seen and shooting could be heard a lot , after 3pm it started to tail off and we called it a day at 4 pm when it started to get bitterly cold , I then had a walk around with my dog to find the odd one and to warm up a bit , time we gathered up we had picked 25 , not huge I know but seeing good numbers was as good as the shooting and hopefully for us they hang about , even though the landowners might think otherwise :lol:  

18 hours ago, Jim Neal said:

Nice to read your report Marsh Man, and it's good to hear that you've got some decent numbers to go at.  I was going to add my experiences on to yours but to avoid hijacking the thread I'll start my own!

7 hours ago, Wilts#Dave said:

That sounds like some good fun Marshman! 25 isn’t to be sniffed at either and sounds like plenty were seen which is always nice. 
I was at home looking out at the wind thinking what a good night it would be for a spot of roost shooting! 

I am always glad to see good numbers of Pigeons when the game season is over , with wild fowling and attending our game shoots I put Pigeon shooting on hold until both seasons are over , when we had our last few shoots we done the drives that are attached to some of the main woods that normally hold good numbers of Pigeons and to be honest we never saw a fraction that we would expect to see , then last week we had our first roost shooting day and the maximum numbers of guns were out , where we were the sound of shots were far and few between and the odd chap who I spoke to reported seeing a lot less Pigeon than he would normally expect to see on the first week .

Things wasn't looking that good , then the keeper rang me during last week to see how we got on , I told him it was quiet and he said he saw good numbers and he shot 25 on some fresh beet tops that touched the wood he was in and a chap at the end of the wood picked up 11 , so it wasn't all doom and gloom .

Then yesterday we moved from where we were last week as the cattle had started to feed on the fodder beet , I wouldn't say we saw record numbers but we certainly saw a lot , we all had some shooting and it was good to know we have got good numbers even though when we go this Saturday they might have found some freshly lifted beet and moved on, but I very much doubt they will move out of our area , so hopefully some decent days could be had as time wear on throughout the coming weeks and months .

50 minutes ago, the hitman said:

Nice report MM

25 roosting sounds like a fantastic afternoon out to me, I bet you can recall every one that you shot.

Hitman 

I certainly can , or should I say all but a couple , some I think to myself how on earth did you hit that , and then I think even more , how on earth did you miss that one , along with a few more .

Now at my age and what we have avoided these last two years , the last thing I worry about is missing a few Pigeons , I am more than grateful that I am still healthy enough to spend a fair bit of time in the countryside and anything I shoot is a bonus , and like the old keeper told me last week , it's the taking part that counts . and hopefully I will be taking part for as long as the good lord allow me to :lol:

Hope you find time to get out yourself before to long Hitman , although this coming week is supposed to be a bit on the wild side with gale force winds and heavy rain .

21 hours ago, marsh man said:

I certainly can , or should I say all but a couple , some I think to myself how on earth did you hit that , and then I think even more , how on earth did you miss that one , along with a few more .

Now at my age and what we have avoided these last two years , the last thing I worry about is missing a few Pigeons , I am more than grateful that I am still healthy enough to spend a fair bit of time in the countryside and anything I shoot is a bonus , and like the old keeper told me last week , it's the taking part that counts . and hopefully I will be taking part for as long as the good lord allow me to :lol:

Hope you find time to get out yourself before to long Hitman , although this coming week is supposed to be a bit on the wild side with gale force winds and heavy rain .

MM

Its half term next week so I am off to Madrid for some vino & tapas - I should hopefully be able to get out later next week.

last thing we need up here is more strong winds - some trees are like wobbly teeth waiting to come out after storm Arwen hit us.