Silly boy and an eel (NZ)

Houseplant

18 hours ago, pigeon controller said:

I used to be a fanatical fresh water eel fisherman in the past, fishing though the night three tomes a week. My best eel was 4lb 6oz and the fish has always fascinated me. The eels in NZ are a sub species and much bigger, thanks for posting.

I've always thought that a British eel fisherman would have a blast over here. As you can imagine, they are not hard to catch, or at least hook, but they grow a lot bigger than the one that attacked my boy. European-style wels catfish gear would be appropriate for the larger specimens. Unfortunately, not my thing.

Used to fish for eels back in the sixties had some lovely nights on the river bank 3/4 in the summer had some crackers best was just under 5 pound from the monnow them where the days and fished Tewksbury on the big ham meadow used to get bleak by the locks for dead bait and lobworms of the church lawn in the dead of night some ruddy funny noises round there 

55 minutes ago, snow white said:

Used to fish for eels back in the sixties had some lovely nights on the river bank 3/4 in the summer had some crackers best was just under 5 pound from the monnow them where the days and fished Tewksbury on the big ham meadow used to get bleak by the locks for dead bait and lobworms of the church lawn in the dead of night some ruddy funny noises round there 

i used to night fish for eels on the weir at tewksbury it was always alive with rats, it was a bit worrying when the seven bore came up never had time to pull the rod rests out.

happy nights.

33 minutes ago, pickerup said:

i used to night fish for eels on the weir at tewksbury it was always alive with rats, it was a bit worrying when the seven bore came up never had time to pull the rod rests out.

happy nights.

Genuinely wondered how you were shooting rats with a seven bore whilst eel fishing?

Sounds like good times though, despite the Severn's idiosyncrasies! I'm not sure we'll ever see the days of really big eels in our rivers, the species is struggling just to hang on, let alone produce the lumps seen in days gone by

2 hours ago, snow white said:

I used to love night fishing on warm summer nights . Wed always bring a few eels back for folks to eat.

I remember one night as myself and my mate where going through the gate on the ham at Tewksbury the church bells where ringing it was 5.30 so we went to the pub to get some water for the tea in the night but we ended up getting pisxxx and one of the other lads came and got the car took us back I decided to get some lamprey for bait walked out in the weir I slipped and was under the water I had to sit there all night in wet clothes but was out again doing it all over what happy times

That footage will be a great memory for you both.

I used to fykke net eels with my father and smoke them but all protected now.When I was younger we had professional eels fishermen locally who made a living from catching pike and eels.My dad went out either one once who was setting a long line for eels.He used broken bits of worm as bait and the line had about 400 hooks on it spaced about a foot apart all on a board to they would peel off properly in order and not tangle.The fisherman told Dad to row the boat as fast as he could towards a certain point and he was able to break the worms and bait every hook without once missing a hook or getting hooked himself.

We saw some huge eels when younger,up to 8 & 9lb which were reputed to have been over 50 years old but I am not sure I wasn't been wound up by that.Now if you catch one in a coarse fishing competition and put it in your keepnet it is automatic disqualification as they are so tightly protected. 

Some interesting stories. Despite not being a huge fan of eels, I'm sorry to hear about their decline in the UK. I remember fishing a match as a teenager in Windsor on the Thames. Someone caught a huge eel for the area, around 3lb from memory. It got weighed in and then went home for the pot. I remember feeling quite sad as it went against the coarse fishing ethos.