Advice on reloading 12 bore using old stock

Hi 

I have inherited some reloading equipment and I’m keen to have a go at reloading some 12 bore and to use up the parts.

I have some noble Glasgow 80,82  powder, some plastic wads(type not known). Mec 600 junior loading press (now with rust removed). It has a powder bush fitted, hopefully for the powder I have. Unfortunately the primers were scrap but I have bought some cci 209.

Ideally I would like to load some 24gram loads but most recipes seem to be for 30 gram plus with Nobel 80/82.

I’m completely new to reloading so taking things very cautiously. Can I use some second hand cases or is it best to buy new? I have some early eley Grand Prix ammo that seem better quality plastic than modern cases and thinking of using these. I have read a little about case types parallel/taper tube etc.

How critical is the case type, plas wad type, primer, wad compression etc ?

Any help would be much appreciated. I’m looking forward to having a go on a rainy day.

image.jpg

You can use secondhand cases...it is what reloaders used to do. Very old Eley will be genuine brass. Old powder I would not use. Simply there are so many things that can affect it that it isn;t worth the risk of injury. It can dry out, it can be adulterated, it can be even not the powder in the tin that it says on the tin. As to case dimensions, case internal base shape I cannot offer any advice as I do not know.

Not a lot wrong with Nobel 80 or 82 if it has been correctly stored. The staple powder for many reloaders for a good few years.

an investment in a powder scale is a must and should be a first purchase. You are not far from me (Worcester) so give me a shout if you need advice on setting up your machine.

regards

Graham

1 hour ago, woody1 said:

It smells ok, I did burn a small amount and with expected results.

I could get some new powder but seems a waste to throw it away

What are the rules now regarding buying/ storing powder. I do not have an explosives license.

You don't a license for most smokeless powders, I would take Graham  (Ruffshooter ) up on his offer  he's been reloading for years !

Powder can go off if incorrectly stored.  It takes on an acidy acrid smell but there is still a lot of 80/82 series powders out there that people are still using which is surprising considering that it must be 45+ years old.  A mate of mine bought out the remaining stock from a shop that was closing down years ago and there's nothing wrong with his reloads. Which powder are you going to use in your load ?. 80 or 82.?

Edited by Minky

7 hours ago, woody1 said:

What scales are best for measuring powder charges for a shotgun? I see there are some digital ones for around £25.
Perhaps the accuracy is not so critical compared to rifle ammo.

Best.?.?  A weight is a weight.  A scale is either accurate or inaccurate.   You can get a small kit of test weights to check and zero your scale. I think that mine are lyman.