Ridge line smocks

Lloyd90

Hi all

My partner and I are off to Iceland for a week towards the end of Feb. 

I am looking for a fairly warm coat that will double up as something I can also use when we get back. 

I don’t feel like buying a ski coat etc only to use it once and never again.

Due to this I was having a quick look at the ridge line smocks. 

Firstly looking at the Monsoon, but prefer to look of the Pintail Explorer II. 

Anyone had either and got any views? 

You’ll love Iceland.

Ridgeline is great clothing and I have used it for years. I have three including both the ones you mention. Monsoon will withstand anything but you don’t want to be walking any distance in it as you will sweat like hell. The pintail is the lighter weight and bought big enough will let you layer up underneath whilst providing a wind proof waterproof outer.

I would make my decision based on your likely activity levels. I use the lighter pintail when picking up and the Monsoon for late season wildfowling.

enjoy the trip.

Lloyd

The Ridgeline jackets are great until you start to move and make your own heat, then they keep it all in with you.

I use them once set up and they come off for the walk back to the car.

For where you are going I would suggest a down jacket.

Have a read of this;

https://www.mountainwarehouse.com/community/expert-advice/down-jacket-guide

Edited by TIGHTCHOKE

1 hour ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Lloyd

The Ridgeline jackets are great until you start to move and make your own heat, then they keep it all in with you.

Have a read of this;

I was hoping not to buy someone like that that would potentially only get used on this trip.

I had the thought someone like a ridge line I would continue to use when I’m back 🤔🤔

Back in 2016 me and Mrs Sussexboy went on a cruise into the north of Norway beyond the Arctic circle. We bought the pintail smocks and trousers as we were going dog sledding and Aurora watching. They were great for that. But, as others have said they are a bit sweaty if you have to do anything physical in them. On the other hand they are good for sitting in the high seat for several hours as they are windproof and trap your body heat.

11 minutes ago, Sussexboy said:

Back in 2016 me and Mrs Sussexboy went on a cruise into the north of Norway beyond the Arctic circle. We bought the pintail smocks and trousers as we were going dog sledding and Aurora watching. They were great for that. But, as others have said they are a bit sweaty if you have to do anything physical in them. On the other hand they are good for sitting in the high seat for several hours as they are windproof and trap your body heat.

Just wear a jump underneath was it mate? 

Sounds like what I am looking for :) 

33 minutes ago, Stephen-H said:

You might be in luck! I have just purchased a ridgeline smock this week from optics warehouse as they seem to have a sale/offer on at the moment on ridgeline I got one of the smocks that was rrp £180 for £107 delivered to the door. I've attached a link below

https://www.opticswarehouse.co.uk/clothing?brand=2165

Nice one mate :) was about to pay £120+ and they're on sale there for £80! 

If you are sitting out a lightweight down jacket is a good investment. When out in Canada on the geese that is what I have under a smock and over a jumper. This year was only down to -11 but colder previous time. You can get these jackets quite cheaply if you shop around and they pack into a small bag weighing nothing. Mine is by Uniqlo and they are down to £39.90 in their sale at present. (Remote control is for size comparison.)

great to use over here under a jacket for the slightly colder days.

I am also trying the cheapo heated waistcoat off eBay. So far so good but Chinese sizing is difficult.

3C32E23F-70CC-4A65-B3CC-EE4B5DE4963F.jpeg

I have a monsoon smock.I do really like it but find I am leaving it on the peg more and more.The first few times I wore it stalking I did a few long treks through forestry and I nearly died.I have learnt that it is ideal for high seats or sitting out waiting for deer or geese.

If I have to walk far I now just wear a fleece and a light cabelas unlined coat over the time.I have yet to sweat in this outfit.

On the other hand I have worn the Ridgeline smock in all sorts of weather and it has yet to let me down.I have always remained dry and warm in it(as long as I am not walking far!!)

16 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

Just wear a jump underneath was it mate? 

Sounds like what I am looking for  

In the arctic part of the cruise we usually wore thermal base layer, and then several light layers underneath, including a down gilet for the really cold bits. Sailing into Alta was one of them. So beautiful we had to stand on deck. Air temp was -12, we were sailing at 11 knots into a 15 knot wind. Not sure what that all equates to, but it was a bit nippy!

Any MVP or Goretex type coat will be boil in the bag if you're shifting about.

Keela is the best I've used(all be it in MTP), I'm sure you can get em in civi colours. Then for warmth pop to Decathlon for a variety of thermal layers be it down(**** in wet weather) or fleece. 

On 13/02/2022 at 14:13, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Lloyd

Have a read of this;

Have picked up a Down Jacket as well as the Ridgeline, will take a look at them when they both arrive :) 

I got this one:

https://www.mountainwarehouse.com/henry-ii-mens-down-padded-jacket-p20418.aspx/jet black/#tabArea 

18 hours ago, welshwarrior said:

I wear a monsoon stalking with the right layers it’s great totally waterproof and wind proof.  

I don’t find it over sweaty but then don’t run about in it.  I do sweat when I’m dragging deer but I’d do that in a t shirt. 

Drag? 

I thought you could throw them over your shoulder :P