A different form of fishing (NZ)

Houseplant

One other way for fatties,no one bought toasting forks years ago. Your dad had one made courtesy of NUM blacksmiths. We all lined out at an estuary and slowly walked in line when you felt something under your toes(barefoot), you stabbed it with  your mother's toasting fork! Normally small fatties,sometimes prawns shrimps, they all got eaten.

8 hours ago, wymberley said:

Yep. Back in the '60s the "Galloping Gerties" arrived from, I think, Australia. Knocked ours up from aluminium. Stationed in North Devon at that time so we had Woolacombe, Saunton and Croyde beaches on our doorstep - these being much smaller versions of where you were. I think it must have been a short lived fad as I was packed off to Germany and on return never saw them again. Unlike Toads' version, Gerty ran along the sea-bed - the retreating wave acting on a 'sail' which pivoted and laid flat on an incoming flow. Good for 200 to 300 yards at best.

I may have a go at making one of those gerties , look like a good way of getting a good few hooks out at one go !

6 hours ago, toads said:

One other way for fatties,no one bought toasting forks years ago. Your dad had one made courtesy of NUM blacksmiths. We all lined out at an estuary and slowly walked in line when you felt something under your toes(barefoot), you stabbed it with  your mother's toasting fork! Normally small fatties,sometimes prawns shrimps, they all got eaten.

Wading and spearing flounder in estuaries is a thing here. Hopefully, I'll get around to doing it soon!

9 minutes ago, Houseplant said:

Wading and spearing flounder in estuaries is a thing here. Hopefully, I'll get around to doing it soon!

When Ells were legal quarry the old timers would use a spear with flat blades on called a Ell pick , these were about six foot long and were used in shallow water to spear the Ells on the barbs  , also they used a different spear that was like a garden rake with the spikes pointed outwards , these were used for flat fish that were similar to a Dab , these were known locally as Mud Butts .

1 minute ago, marsh man said:

When Ells were legal quarry the old timers would use a spear with flat blades on called a Ell pick , these were about six foot long and were used in shallow water to spear the Ells on the barbs  , also they used a different spear that was like a garden rake with the spikes pointed outwards , these were used for flat fish that were similar to a Dab , these were known locally as Mud Butts .

Interesting stuff. I had no idea!

57 minutes ago, derbyduck said:

I may have a go at making one of those gerties , look like a good way of getting a good few hooks out at one go !

Don’t forget, you need a sled with two fronts as you don’t want it digging in on the retrieve. Also attach the running line to the sail with some form of stop to prevent it going passed vertical on the way out and also to ensure it lays flat on retrieve.

Edited by wymberley

12 hours ago, wymberley said:

Don’t forget, you need a sled with two fronts as you don’t want it digging in on the retrieve. Also attach the running line to the sail with some form of stop to prevent it going passed vertical on the way out and also to ensure it lays flat on retrieve.

yes ,I had a google  and was surprized how much they where used before beach caster came into the fore .