Fancy a go at stickmaking

mgsontour

Hi all

I really fancy a go at making a stick but where do I start?

The only real thing I know about wood is the harder and darker it gets the expense increases.

I know there are some top top lads on here so maybe someone could start me off with this thread and maybe some other members may have a go too?

Thanks in advance

25 minutes ago, mgsontour said:

Hi all

The only real thing I know about wood is the harder and darker it gets the expense increases.

I know there are some top top lads on here so maybe someone could start me off with this thread and maybe some other members may have a go too?

Thanks in advance

One thing worth remembering is if you are doing every thing by hand a larger piece of hardwood can get you fairly demoralised before you get to the fun bits which to me are the details.

I have little experience with wood types but followed on line recommendations for Limewood ,also tried cherry and cedar all ok you just need to find what suits you.

Dont get disappointed halfway through as sometimes it seems to look hopeless ,just stop and have a good look at it and take your time ,lots of pictures of the subject from different angles really help .Above all I think you have to enjoy doing it ,the stuff like straightening stick and attaching heads collars etc can be found on YouTube.

45 minutes ago, mgsontour said:

Hi all

Thanks in advance

cut some sticks NOW before the sap rises.......blackthorne...hazel...

Simon beat me to it.  Cut a few sticks now and either lay them flat or tape them to a straight piece of wood to dry out straight.  Initially I would get a piece of antler and fit this to a stick. Pity you are so far away or I could supply you with both a few dry hazel and a couple of pieces of antler to make a start.  I was told many moons ago that making the joint on a slant is easier to get a flush fit than a straight across cut. Try both.  It is not rocket science and I know the beautiful sticks on here look out of your ability don't be put off you have to start somewhere.    I have probably hundreds of hazel and ash in my wood and even a few blackthorns in the hedgerows going free to anyone who wants to turn up and cut a few.  I will be coppicing another half acre of hazel next year and this year I bet I fed thirty or forty good hazel sticks through the chipper.

Hi Michael, there are a few fundamental things to start with firstly whether you want to use a power carver or go down the route of using chisels, a good set of chisels are not cheap but then neither is is a power carver. But there are cheap flexi shafts that can be ran through an electric drill which will do what you ask of them if you take your time and use nothing more than sanding band of various sizes. If however go down the route of chisels remember to keep them sharp.

And as holloway has said a good starting timber is lime a close and even grain which works really well it can be sourced reasonably on the ebay site if you just want to have a go...you can of course you can buy head blanks off the Internet which saves you having to buy more expensive equipment such as bandsaw or a jigsaws,  and to this end if you want to have a go then let me know and I'll happily cut you out a blank for you try ...I would suggest you start with something like a pheasant head or even a duck... 

Ps. whatever you decide have fun..

DB....

Lovely words of wisdom from you all and like Dougy I'm no way artistic but very much admire quality in it's various forms and will be chuffed to bits if it ends up kind of straight, the top doesn't fall off and doesn't get run over by the Landy on the 1st day!

Like many I have seen some absolutely stunning sticks and lots about £50 which I know will never repay the hours of craftmanship that has gone into the finished article.

I would like to start by knowing the correct tools required, I don't want to go down the commercial route of selling them but know lot's of beaters who have next to no capital nor savings and would give them as pressies and do a couple for myself.

I like the of cutting my own wood but the farmers I know don't have any as never seen any while out shooting.

I think I'd prefer to start as David suggests above with a couple of blanks and a piece of lime, maybe someone could suggest a listing on eBay I could buy along with chisels etc?

I do really appreciate all comments and help so far and please bear with me with what might be stupid questions but as a wise man once told me. . . . if you don't know something lad you simply just dunno!

Cheers all

4 hours ago, mgsontour said:

Lovely words of wisdom from you all and like Dougy I'm no way artistic but very much admire quality in it's various forms and will be chuffed to bits if it ends up kind of straight, the top doesn't fall off and doesn't get run over by the Landy on the 1st day!

Like many I have seen some absolutely stunning sticks and lots about £50 which I know will never repay the hours of craftmanship that has gone into the finished article.

I would like to start by knowing the correct tools required, I don't want to go down the commercial route of selling them but know lot's of beaters who have next to no capital nor savings and would give them as pressies and do a couple for myself.

I like the of cutting my own wood but the farmers I know don't have any as never seen any while out shooting.

I think I'd prefer to start as David suggests above with a couple of blanks and a piece of lime, maybe someone could suggest a listing on eBay I could buy along with chisels etc?

I do really appreciate all comments and help so far and please bear with me with what might be stupid questions but as a wise man once told me. . . . if you don't know something lad you simply just dunno!

Cheers all

Another wise man once said ..."if you never ask you'll never find out "  so fire away and I'm sure the PW faithful will do their best to answer you....

DB....

Have a look at The British Stickmakers Guild and Stickmakers and |Stickmakers and Suppliers pages on facebook. A shinto rasp is my favourite piece of kit. Good knife, drill bits, files ect are needed. Decide what kind of joint you are going to use (peg or threaded bar). Plenty on you tube to look at.  Have a go it's good fun.

I think the best advise is to get a chunk in the vice and get started.  Find a sidways.photo of what animal/bird you want to start with which cut out will fit the size of the wood then simply draw around this and also mark the centre of the eye(most important) as eye position is critical. Try and choose a piece of wood which is just about the thickness of the width of the head as this will save a lot of carving off of waste material.  Cut around your line and remove this wood.  personally I would carve on side at a time working back to the centre line and once you have that to a reasonable like, then do the same on the other side.  Others on here might come up with a different approach.

Obviously put a pencil mark down the centre of the piece to work to.  Don't try to be two precise initially , if you look at gamekeepers work he works up a 'likeness' initially and you can see what it is before he puts in the hair/fur or feather detail.    Look at that Cocker he is doing at the moment.

Hope this all helps and I am certain others will now come up and adjust my ideas as we all do things differently.

Have you started yet:lol:

We are all waiting baited breath to see how you get on.

I have started by reading and thinking, which is how I've been trained and yes sometimes it doesn't go to plan but this stick making malarkey seems to be the long game.

I think I need some further advice on these items at the moment if you all would be so kind:

1. Carving knife, the way I see it going is any knife will be great straight out the box but will then need sharping, which I'm useless at even after several years of trying. I can't seem to find any with replacement blades like a stanley knife, is such a thing available, if not which knife should I opt for?

2. Detailing, I'm I better off in the long run to buy electric rather than hand detailing?

3. After some reading the joining seems to be split between bar and peg and suppose it's what your used to I guess, so a little bit of a 50/50 guess for me I would say.

I'm certain after reading up on the subject, it's a terrific hobby and it looks full of very helpful and kind people.

The bit that appeals the most is to put a chunk of wood in my vice and crack on  but kind of need the above bits of kit first as all I have in my workshop is an owld chisel I use to knock the heads off rusty screws, some bits of sandpaper from Aldi or somewhere and my latest pocket knife ( opinel ) that has seemed to have lasted longer than the rest. O and the carving knife I use for the Sunday roast!

If you guys get me started with where to buy the kit above, I'll get cracking and astound you all or maybe shock is a better more optimistic goal

Thank you all

2 hours ago, mgsontour said:

I have started by reading and thinking, which is how I've been trained and yes sometimes it doesn't go to plan but this stick making malarkey seems to be the long game.

I think I need some further advice on these items at the moment if you all would be so kind:

1. Carving knife, the way I see it going is any knife will be great straight out the box but will then need sharping, which I'm useless at even after several years of trying. I can't seem to find any with replacement blades like a stanley knife, is such a thing available, if not which knife should I opt for?

2. Detailing, I'm I better off in the long run to buy electric rather than hand detailing?

3. After some reading the joining seems to be split between bar and peg and suppose it's what your used to I guess, so a little bit of a 50/50 guess for me I would say.

I'm certain after reading up on the subject, it's a terrific hobby and it looks full of very helpful and kind people.

The bit that appeals the most is to put a chunk of wood in my vice and crack on  but kind of need the above bits of kit first as all I have in my workshop is an owld chisel I use to knock the heads off rusty screws, some bits of sandpaper from Aldi or somewhere and my latest pocket knife ( opinel ) that has seemed to have lasted longer than the rest. O and the carving knife I use for the Sunday roast!

If you guys get me started with where to buy the kit above, I'll get cracking and astound you all or maybe shock is a better more optimistic goal

Thank you all

What I would say with tools is the same all over ...which is buy the best you can afford you can pickup dremels with a flexishaft ( Screwfix) and with various watt rating though I would say again I have one with the 175watt motor which I powerful enough to coupe withe all cutter heads I've used with it ...twin cut carbide and saburr tooth rotary burrs are very useful for removal of major amounts of wood before you get down to finer detailing ... 

And as for chisels you can buy a very comprehensive set from Machine Mart for less than £60.00...which will get you started..as for sharpening that takes time to learn but once you have it mastered you're never going to forget it.. 

Any good Saw services shop will hold a good range of sandpaper and the like aswell ... hope this helps 

14 hours ago, gamekeeper1960 said:

What I would say with tools is the same all over ...which is buy the best you can afford you can pickup dremels with a flexishaft ( Screwfix) and with various watt rating though I would say again I have one with the 175watt motor which I powerful enough to coupe withe all cutter heads I've used with it ...twin cut carbide and saburr tooth rotary burrs are very useful for removal of major amounts of wood before you get down to finer detailing ... 

And as for chisels you can buy a very comprehensive set from Machine Mart for less than £60.00...which will get you started..as for sharpening that takes time to learn but once you have it mastered you're never going to forget it.. 

Any good Saw services shop will hold a good range of sandpaper and the like aswell ... hope this helps 

Cheers David, I'll take a closer look

There is a make of flexi drive shaft rotary tool,called a Foredom. They are seriously expensive. I bought a cheap Chinese copy from eBay , it is surprisingly good ( if you ignore the lethal unfused plug on it, cut it off and fit a fused version. I have blasted it with my test gear and it's fine ). Decent tooling for it  Is a must BUT Aldi do some good versions. Their drum sanders and rotary burrs work fine. I have actually just used some to repair/make a part for my old BERNADELLI SxS. I am a tool whore BUT sometimes I have to bite the bullet and go cheaper. There is some good stuff out there. Remember TAKE IT SLOWLY. It is infinitely harder to grind some more "ON" than it is to grind too much off

9Think your going about this a bit backwards , before buying loads of kit for carving etc , start off making a simple natural thumbstick , learning to straighten it ,fit ferrule ( can make break a stick) , how to finish it , then go onto an antler top, progress into wood ,get the feel of different tops& designs , learn joints& fastening methods ( stud or peg) shaping , get the inside line first rest will follow , decent ply makes a good top, looks nice & cheap to try ! Then move onto horn & carving , so basically need to source & sort,season straighten shanks , fit ferrules ,learn jointing ,fit & finish ....simples ......don't go mad on tooling,  never have enough decent vices , hot air gun for straightening, various saws ( hand& mechanical) , ensure got a decent set of files & rasps , cloth backed emery , various grits , supply of ferrules & epoxy for jointing, personally find a power file really helpful, old bits of leather to hold pieces in vice stop markng, on a big safety one DUST !are sure got ventalation set up & decent mask, especially when sanding, then have a go , learning curve .

17 minutes ago, boo said:

9Think your going about this a bit backwards , before buying loads of kit for carving etc , start off making a simple natural thumbstick , learning to straighten it ,fit ferrule ( can make break a stick) , how to finish it , then go onto an antler top, progress into wood ,get the feel of different tops& designs , learn joints& fastening methods ( stud or peg) shaping , get the inside line first rest will follow , decent ply makes a good top, looks nice & cheap to try ! Then move onto horn & carving , so basically need to source & sort,season straighten shanks , fit ferrules ,learn jointing ,fit & finish ....simples ......don't go mad on tooling,  never have enough decent vices , hot air gun for straightening, various saws ( hand& mechanical) , ensure got a decent set of files & rasps , cloth backed emery , various grits , supply of ferrules & epoxy for jointing, personally find a power file really helpful, old bits of leather to hold pieces in vice stop markng, on a big safety one DUST !are sure got ventalation set up & decent mask, especially when sanding, then have a go , learning curve .

Very good advice from Boo and he is certainly one who knows and produces some beautiful sticks.

I`m still very low on that learning curve and still persevering with antler thumbsticks.  I don`t think that I`ll ever be proficient enough to carve heads, so stick (excuse the pun) with what I`m now reasonably capable of and get satisfaction from.

To the OP, it can be a very absorbing and satisfying hobby and perhaps buying one of the excellent books available on the subject may answer many of his queries.

One in particular is :-   `Stickmaking, a complete course` by Andrew Jones & Clive George.

Another book that I can recommend and have just made a fine purchase of from a PW member is :- `Stickmaking` by Leo Gowan.

OB

OK lads, one last push and I'm off. . . . . .

Thinks me will make a basic stick, either a Thumb or Knob stick, I fully realise I'm leaving myself wide-open to an onslaught of comments but you have all helped and we need to have a laugh a little more, so bring it on. . . .

After the deluge of abuse, where to buy the stick. . . . I see loads on eBay for sale at a variety of prices, would the wise ones amongst you suggest a blank for a novice to start carving when it arrives ( if I put it away to season I'll loose momentum ) and I'll buy the one with the most votes; game on and finally over to you lot

Once again thanks very very much

Edited by mgsontour

1 hour ago, mgsontour said:

OK lads, one last push and I'm off. . . . . .

Thinks me will make a basic stick, either a Thumb or Knob stick, I fully realise I'm leaving myself wide-open to an onslaught of comments but you have all helped and we need to have a laugh a little more, so bring it on. . . .

After the deluge of abuse, where to buy the stick. . . . I see loads on eBay for sale at a variety of prices, would the wise ones amongst you suggest a blank for a novice to start carving when it arrives ( if I put it away to season I'll loose momentum ) and I'll buy the one with the most votes; game on and finally over to you lot

Once again thanks very very 

HI Michael, you could give Kieth Pickering a look he has a website www.thestickman.co.uk ...he does kits which contain all the materials you need to make a stick...might be the way to go...

Edited by gamekeeper1960

As said...get a piece in the vice and have a go. Failure is the best urge to get it right next time an old boss once told me.  Get a stick and a piece of antler and join the two together. This will give you an idea of how simple it is to do the job.  The carving bit is the artistic bit and like sculture takes a bit of practise and maybe if you want to go that way then just do a bit of carving on some scrap wood first to see if you have what it takes..... no disrespect.  You used to be able to buy 'Painting by numbers' but it didn't turn you into a Rembrant.

Certainly don't go wasting money on expensive chisels etc till you have had a go with basic tools.   A drill, hacksaw and some Araldite will get you started plus even a six inch nail to join the two pieces.  I have a couple of very old sticks made in the same way and they are still in use today.  Less talk and more action plus pictures.

Edited by Walker570

20 hours ago, Walker570 said:

As said...get a piece in the vice and have a go. Failure is the best urge to get it right next time an old boss once told me.  Get a stick and a piece of antler and join the two together. This will give you an idea of how simple it is to do the job.  The carving bit is the artistic bit and like sculture takes a bit of practise and maybe if you want to go that way then just do a bit of carving on some scrap wood first to see if you have what it takes..... no disrespect.  You used to be able to buy 'Painting by numbers' but it didn't turn you into a Rembrant.

Certainly don't go wasting money on expensive chisels etc till you have had a go with basic tools.   A drill, hacksaw and some Araldite will get you started plus even a six inch nail to join the two pieces.  I have a couple of very old sticks made in the same way and they are still in use today.  Less talk and more action plus pictures.

OK Boss, I hear you and love your motivation; just what I need, plain and simples just like a cheese sarnie.

Got and drill and hacksaw and some PVA so will get some glue and go find myself a stick

Thanks again to you all and will be in touch with pics as soon as I have my paws on a stick