Any landlords on here?

eddoakley

If the council encourage someone to break a contract the council becomes liable.

I know someone who sued the local council because they gave a house to someone half way through

a tenancy agreement and told her just to leave.

From Google........What is inducing breach of contract?

An intentional, economic tort; knowingly and intentionally procuring the breach of a contract, without lawful justification, causing damage to another party to the contract. Interference with contractual relations. ...
Edited by daveboy

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, daveboy said:

If the council encourage someone to break a contract the council becomes liable.

I know someone who sued the local council because they gave a house to someone half way through

a tenancy agreement and told her just to leave.

From Google........What is inducing breach of contract?

An intentional, economic tort; knowingly and intentionally procuring the breach of a contract, without lawful justification, causing damage to another party to the contract. Interference with contractual relations. ...

Good luck proving it. A housing officer at the council may have given a verbal hint to the tenant but they wouldn’t have put it in writing and even if they did the tenant isn’t going to print the email and give you a copy.

On 16/02/2022 at 18:46, Smudger687 said:

Higher mortgage rates and taxes are irrelevant, you're still offloading it onto the tenant so it's moot. 

Landlords, like your good self, really do live in a different world. You've contributed towards inflated house prices while simultaneously sneering at those that now can't afford them. You complain when your attempts to offload your mortgage repayments onto your tenants like a bloodsucking leech don't go to plan, and yet somehow still think that you have the moral high ground. 

Stop whinging.

You come across as having a real chip on your shoulder. 

Buy to let housing is no different than any other investment. 

Are you on crypto forums moaning at the people who bought bitcoin when it first started, moaning that the price has gone massive and you can't afford to buy it? 

I have lots of friends and family, all of them have been able to save up the deposit to get on the housing ladder. It certainly wasn't easy, a lot of them (myself included) had to make sacrifices, give up things, move in with family etc. Prety much none of them were given a handout, everyone of them worked to save a deposit and get on the ladder. 

Myself, gave up work and went back into Education, lived on a pittance for 4+ years whilst trying to educate myself and came out of it with a decent salary. My partner also started at rock bottom and has put herself through numerous courses and accreditations to get to where she is. 

We now own our own house in a major city. 

I have other friends who didn't give up anything, continued to go out for meals 2-3 nights a week, smoke and drink, go out friday and saturday night spending £100+ every weekend on the jolly, have expensive items they didn't really need. All of these people I know sit back and moan about house prices, complain they weren't given their deposit on a silver platter by a family member. 

We had lodgers for 3+ years who were earning £75,000+ between them as a couple who paid us £600 a month rent. They had no car, no bills, no phone bill etc. After 3+ years of their only single bill being £600 a month they moved out and had saved almost nothing. No deposit for their own house, and are now renting elsewhere, moaning about how hard it is to get on the property ladder. 

When I finished eductation I didn't have a deposit, my partner and I both worked and didn't stand any chance of getting a council house. Therefore we private rented. The landlord was excellent, any issues he sorted them immediately. He filled the void between us getting on the ladder and living with our parents. Private landlords are a necessity for some people. 

And if I used an agent then I'd pay their fees too. 

And there is your problem. By thinking you'd save money....by not using an agent...you've now cost yourself a whole lot more. A good established agent with a large portfolio of both landlords and tenants is worth beyond price. Trying to let nowadays without such an agent and, as you've found, you've gotten dross.

Sorry not what you want as a landlord but an agent is there to keep the gate fast closed against such undesirables. A former tenant will often, if then wanting to rent again, get back in touch with the agent through which they last rented wanting something larger or smaller than the previous rental.

That may be your property and that's where you gain.You get a person with a known history.

Edited by enfieldspares

9 hours ago, Munzy said:

Good luck proving it. A housing officer at the council may have given a verbal hint to the tenant but they wouldn’t have put it in writing and even if they did the tenant isn’t going to print the email and give you a copy.

He didn't have to prove it...the council settled before it went to court...if you worked for the council

would you lie in front of a judge?.... when it's not your money and in a civil case is just on a balance of probabilities. Do you believe the council told the tenant to stay put? on a balance of probabilities??

9 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

You come across as having a real chip on your shoulder. 

Buy to let housing is no different than any other investment. 

Are you on crypto forums moaning at the people who bought bitcoin when it first started, moaning that the price has gone massive and you can't afford to buy it? 

I have lots of friends and family, all of them have been able to save up the deposit to get on the housing ladder. It certainly wasn't easy, a lot of them (myself included) had to make sacrifices, give up things, move in with family etc. Prety much none of them were given a handout, everyone of them worked to save a deposit and get on the ladder. 

Myself, gave up work and went back into Education, lived on a pittance for 4+ years whilst trying to educate myself and came out of it with a decent salary. My partner also started at rock bottom and has put herself through numerous courses and accreditations to get to where she is. 

We now own our own house in a major city. 

I have other friends who didn't give up anything, continued to go out for meals 2-3 nights a week, smoke and drink, go out friday and saturday night spending £100+ every weekend on the jolly, have expensive items they didn't really need. All of these people I know sit back and moan about house prices, complain they weren't given their deposit on a silver platter by a family member. 

We had lodgers for 3+ years who were earning £75,000+ between them as a couple who paid us £600 a month rent. They had no car, no bills, no phone bill etc. After 3+ years of their only single bill being £600 a month they moved out and had saved almost nothing. No deposit for their own house, and are now renting elsewhere, moaning about how hard it is to get on the property ladder. 

When I finished eductation I didn't have a deposit, my partner and I both worked and didn't stand any chance of getting a council house. Therefore we private rented. The landlord was excellent, any issues he sorted them immediately. He filled the void between us getting on the ladder and living with our parents. Private landlords are a necessity for some people. 

It's not about me disliking landlords as such (though my personal experiences with them have been almost exclusively negative).

I got wound up that OP, owning multiple properties through buy to let (finance that his tenants would never get, despite them being the ones covering the repayments), is whinging about how it's all so difficult and how bad he has it. 

9 hours ago, enfieldspares said:

And there is your problem. By thinking you'd save money....by not using an agent...you've now cost yourself a whole lot more. A good established agent with a large portfolio of both landlords and tenants is worth beyond price. Trying to let nowadays without such an agent and, as you've found, you've gotten dross.

Sorry not what you want as a landlord but an agent is there to keep the gate fast closed against such undesirables. A former tenant will often, if then wanting to rent again, get back in touch with the agent through which they last rented wanting something larger or smaller than the previous rental.

That may be your property and that's where you gain.You get a person with a known history.

I beg to differ, I wouldn't pay most of the "agents" in washers. I have never had an agent in 35 years of renting houses out. I insist on guarantors and do my own checks on people like visiting their present home and their landlord.

Saying that I hope never to rent another house out, as they come empty,  I sell them. Renting is too much hassle for me nowadays. 

Back to agents. I know a family that have never worked a day in their lives, 3 generations and they have always rented through agents. Supplying false references from employers and previous landlords. They have done this for at least 20 years as I know to. They get two properties pay the first month's rent then don't pay anything again until they get evicted. I don't suppose they will be the only ones either.

18 minutes ago, Smudger687 said:

It's not about me disliking landlords as such (though my personal experiences with them have been almost exclusively negative).

I got wound up that OP, owning multiple properties through buy to let (finance that his tenants would never get, despite them being the ones covering the repayments), is whinging about how it's all so difficult and how bad he has it. 

Is buying a house not an option for you?

On 16/02/2022 at 18:06, harrycatcat1 said:

One thing that I've not seen on this thread is the need for a guarantor. I've had very little trouble since introducing this about 15 years ago. I insist on the guarantor owning their own property. At the first sign of trouble I contact the guarantor to sort it out.

I definitely found this when my Daughter is renting for Uni you cant get anything without the parents guaranteeing the rent for the agreed period. Hell for next year the rental agency wanted my earnings, copy of pay slips, passport and likely bonuses. I am surprised I wanted asked for a DNA sample! 

I would guess this part of the sectors has definitely been burned in the past over student rent. 

1 hour ago, harrycatcat1 said:

I beg to differ, I wouldn't pay most of the "agents" in washers. I have never had an agent in 35 years of renting houses out. I insist on guarantors and do my own checks on people like visiting their present home and their landlord.

Saying that I hope never to rent another house out, as they come empty,  I sell them. Renting is too much hassle for me nowadays. 

Back to agents. I know a family that have never worked a day in their lives, 3 generations and they have always rented through agents. Supplying false references from employers and previous landlords. They have done this for at least 20 years as I know to. They get two properties pay the first month's rent then don't pay anything again until they get evicted. I don't suppose they will be the only ones either.

See I think surely a big issue must be that when they’ve burned landlords in the past they’ve not bothered to pursue it and the people don’t have CCJ’s on the credit file? 

Either that or the agents aren’t doing real back ground checks and are just saying they came back all clear when they did not. 

20 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

See I think surely a big issue must be that when they’ve burned landlords in the past they’ve not bothered to pursue it and the people don’t have CCJ’s on the credit file? 

I have been in this position just before I brought in my guarantor rule.

The logistics of it is you have to track them down if they have done a "runner".

You either write it off, or if you are like me I contacted the Sheriff's to track them down, cost involved, then start the County Court process which is long and protracted. Some folks won't do it.

4 hours ago, Smudger687 said:

No, he was moaning at being turned over by the council. 

How the council can tell people not to move out is beyond me.

Same as people moaning about not being able to get on the property ladder, I can understand if it's London but otherwise like Lloyd says, you save up, make sacrifices. 

There are always going to be people who can't buy so need to rent, that doesn't mean it's the landlords fault the renters can't buy a house.

I could write a book on this.

But you know what, no one ever listens. Everyone thinks they know best.

I have all my original tenants. They pay like clockwork by standing order, I never get a phone call (I think they are worried that if they stick their heads above the parapet I might put the rent up) and all of my tenants know that they cannot get better for what they are paying.

I’ve long returned all their deposits and they all paid full rent through covid when they didn’t have to.

I clear £1k net on each property every month and there’s no agents involved in any property.

Why would I want to risk that / upset that Apple cart? I’d be mad - I’d have a rental dead spot, I’d have to get an agent involved, I don’t know if the next tenant will be steady / any better and I know the courts are backed up etc. 

So, I’m not getting every penny for each property every month? So what? I like peace and quiet and being a landlord isn’t my primary job.

Put the rent up / rock the landlord and tenant boat in this covid environment? I’d need my bumps felt. Absolute madness.

All my tenants could quite easily get on the property ladder if they had the backbone to do the hard yards saving up,

Knocking out rugrats

New fones

Smart clothes

Fancy pants shirts and shoes

Fancy cars usually white.

All the above are sapping there income, its incredible what they believe is standard in life. I dont care they are keeping me in 15 year old Volvos and matalan jeans.

28 minutes ago, Rupert said:

All my tenants could quite easily get on the property ladder if they had the backbone to do the hard yards saving up,

Knocking out rugrats

New fones

Smart clothes

Fancy pants shirts and shoes

Fancy cars usually white.

All the above are sapping there income, its incredible what they believe is standard in life. I dont care they are keeping me in 15 year old Volvos and matalan jeans.

One of my clients said a while ago is that the modern phenomenon is that no one can keep hold of £10k anymore. People go into rented and say they’re saving up for a deposit but as soon as they get £10k together and have a chance of getting a deposit together they blow it on a white C-class, a watch or a holiday. 

21 minutes ago, Mungler said:

One of my clients said a while ago is that the modern phenomenon is that no one can keep hold of £10k anymore. People go into rented and say they’re saving up for a deposit but as soon as they get £10k together and have a chance of getting a deposit together they blow it on a white C-class, a watch or a holiday. 

Indeed,  the folk i know who earn better than i do just cant keep hold of 100 quid, starbucks- its only 4 pound, i phone 900- its only 50 a month, sky- same,  armarni jeans and god knows what else the jones have got.

I was on school meal tickets, thrown out at 16 by my mother,worked as a hod carrier, worked weekends,worked on the doors,delivered for a chicken takeaway place and at 24 had 9 flats on rent. I am still mindful of my spending . Nobody i have met is a saver anymore.

3 hours ago, Rupert said:

Indeed,  the folk i know who earn better than i do just cant keep hold of 100 quid, starbucks- its only 4 pound, i phone 900- its only 50 a month, sky- same,  armarni jeans and god knows what else the jones have got.

I was on school meal tickets, thrown out at 16 by my mother,worked as a hod carrier, worked weekends,worked on the doors,delivered for a chicken takeaway place and at 24 had 9 flats on rent. I am still mindful of my spending . Nobody i have met is a saver anymore.

You’ve nailed it. 

I read Rich Dad Poor Dad about 10 years ago and it changed my life and the way I look at money. Don’t get me wrong, I love to spend money but I haven’t wasted the likes of £5 on a cup of coffee in a decade now. 

If only kids at school got taught basic economics:

1. Everything but everything has to be paid for; and, 

2. does this put money in my pocket or take money out of my pocket?

The two principal lessons.

15 minutes ago, Mungler said:

only kids at school got taught basic economics:

Not just kids, plenty of adults could do with that lesson.

My Son had his first honours degree at 21, was renting a house for 5 years with his partner,when that ended he moved into a shared flat with another couple for 2 years, and while doing a Masters and some degree in law, getting promoted at work and doing some freelance work he has saved enough to put an offer on a house, he should move into it come April.

He works hard ,plays hard. He knows nothing comes free in this life and works for it.

Mu other Son also has a strong work, play, save ethic.

Not all the younger generation are bad with money.

29 minutes ago, welsh1 said:

My Son had his first honours degree at 21, was renting a house for 5 years with his partner,when that ended he moved into a shared flat with another couple for 2 years, and while doing a Masters and some degree in law, getting promoted at work and doing some freelance work he has saved enough to put an offer on a house, he should move into it come April.

He works hard ,plays hard. He knows nothing comes free in this life and works for it.

Mu other Son also has a strong work, play, save ethic.

Not all the younger generation are bad with money.

Fair play to them. Mind you, they won’t be moaning in 10 years time that they can’t buy a house.

Another life lesson is to find a wife / partner who will pull with you in the same / right direction - it doesn’t half make it all a lot easier. They don’t teach that either in school 😆

9 hours ago, Mungler said:

Fair play to them. Mind you, they won’t be moaning in 10 years time that they can’t buy a house.

Another life lesson is to find a wife / partner who will pull with you in the same / right direction - it doesn’t half make it all a lot easier. They don’t teach that either in school 😆

Isn’t that the truth! Mine came with her own house and we’ve always bought improved/extended and moved increasing our pot while her cottage has been rented out, we’ve had the lot but it’s always been through an agent. In our case the main reason being with an agent and this is sticking my head up in this one is that she is a council housing officer….. So sees it all. We currently have an ok one and haven’t rocked it with any increases for ages but we also haven’t changed tenants every 18 months which we were doing.  

what I would add on the original topic is try talking to the council, quite often the people concerned are being a nightmare on that side as well and there are funds they can clear arrears from to keep the people off their doorstep, 

22 hours ago, daveboy said:

He didn't have to prove it...the council settled before it went to court...if you worked for the council

would you lie in front of a judge?.... when it's not your money and in a civil case is just on a balance of probabilities. Do you believe the council told the tenant to stay put? on a balance of probabilities??

Didn’t know it went to court, great result and I didn’t for one second question the allegation that the council told the tenant to stay put.

On 16/02/2022 at 16:58, Smudger687 said:

It's people like you that have priced people like me (and probably your own tenants) out of getting on the housing ladder.

If a private landlord letting out a few properties rattles your cage, this should really get you going.
"you will own nothing and be happy..."

https://noqreport.com/2021/06/11/yes-blackrocks-home-buying-spree-should-concern-you/

https://www.creherald.com/blackrock-outpost-jv-to-invest-500m-in-uk-residential-assets/

On 18/02/2022 at 21:17, Mungler said:

You’ve nailed it. 

I read Rich Dad Poor Dad about 10 years ago and it changed my life and the way I look at money. Don’t get me wrong, I love to spend money but I haven’t wasted the likes of £5 on a cup of coffee in a decade now. 

If only kids at school got taught basic economics:

Is rich dad poor dad worth the read?