After the Rain

pigeon controller

I had a phone call on Monday evening informing me that after the morning rain the birds who were sitting in the trees around the rape covered the field in a feeding frenzy, can I come out on Tuesday.

So the weather for Tuesday was exactly the same heavy rain until midday then sunshine, so i watched a portion of the Olympics then set out at 10.30 as it’s a twenty mile drive to the said field. As I’m driving west I can see a distinct brightness on the horizon and I arrive at the field at 11.00 to find the surrounding trees covered with birds. I had passed rape fields on the way with no birds at all, Why this field?.

The rain had eased but not stopped so I sat in the Disco and had a coffee and watched the birds as they fluffed themselves up against the slight wind and rain. It was dry by 11.30 just as my weather app had informed me so carried my gear up the sodden field. I was all set up by 12.15 and had moved all the birds off the field. I had travelled light , no magnet just a flapper and 12 decoys.

I was now ready for the birds to return, the sun had broken through and it was very bright and as the farmer had said the birds returned in earnest, desperate to feed and the next two hours was fantastic shooting with me struggling to reload at times. It then tailed off and the last hour between 15.00 and 14.00 I shot one bird but I had done my job.  This field is eaten to the hearts only and the three surrounding fields have minimum damage. Walking the field to pack up was a real ordeal as the clay soil was very wet and gooey. I picked up 53 birds so the plan worked.

100_3574.JPG

7 minutes ago, JDog said:

Bravo PC.

I see you have extended chokes. Have you always had those?

No JDog, I bought a secondhand 682 Gold E last summer as I was having ejector problems with the 686 . The steel cartridges would start to stick after fifty shots. I’m not sure that the extended choke make any difference to my shooting as I tend to point the gun and the birds drop.