Driving in London - charges advice

Ricko

Hi

I've dropped my daughter off in London (Stoke Newington) today then cut across the city centre to get on the M40

I've just paid the ULEZ and the Congestion charges, do I have to pay the LEZ as well?

I certainly dont want a fine.

Thanks for any advice.

(Apologies to the mods if this is in the wrong section)

2 minutes ago, Spr1985 said:

I believe maps of all the zones are available online, unless someone can give you the answer here, just jump online check the maps and see if your route went through the lez and you’ll have your answer 👍🏻

From looking at the maps it seems that you cross the LEZ to reach the ULEZ.

I had no idea that you had to pay so many times.

Just now, Ricko said:

From looking at the maps it seems that you cross the LEZ to reach the ULEZ.

I had no idea that you had to pay so many times.

Yup, it’s ridiculous. My days of being in and out of London on a daily basis are long gone thankfully. It seems that daylight robbery is still in full flow though. 

If you went from stoke newington to the m40 you probably went down through Islington turned right down pentonville road a left and right to Euston road and out on the a40 if you stayed on these roads and didn’t go under them you didn’t need to  pay the congestion charge go on the tfl web site and get a congestion charge zone map and check your route if your car/van is not ulez compliment you would have to pay that the Lez is another charge for heavy polluting vehicles again go on tfl web site and there is a checker to see if your vehicle is compliant hope this helps 

Edited by nobbyathome

9 hours ago, nobbyathome said:

If you went from stoke newington to the m40 you probably went down through Islington turned right down pentonville road a left and right to Euston road and out on the a40 if you stayed on these roads and didn’t go under them you didn’t need to  pay the congestion charge go on the tfl web site and get a congestion charge zone map and check your route if your car/van is not ulez compliment you would have to pay that the Lez is another charge for heavy polluting vehicles again go on tfl web site and there is a checker to see if your vehicle is compliant hope this helps 

^^^ This check on the website to see if you need to pay either ULEZ or LEZ. Your vehicle may be exempt.

CON Charge you will have to check if you entered it. 

• 1 month later...
On 16/02/2022 at 22:55, nobbyathome said:

As a North Londoner born and bred I wouldn't have gone that way from Stoke Newington to the M40.

I would have come straight back out due north up the A10 and gone round the M25.

There is a massive difference between shortest route and easiest route.

I get the same problem in Cornwall if I trust the satnav it wants to drag me off the A roads down tiny farm tracks and winding lanes alll the time. Simply because it's shorter in terms of distance doesn't mean its the quicker route

Edited by Vince Green

I agree to some degree but very often with local knowledge you can find a shorter route.  I don't have one of these fancy SAT NAV things I still use a map and my own brain.

Had a friend drive me back from hospital a week or so ago and I tried to suggest a short route home...no dirt tracks... and he insisted in following the nice lady on the loud speaker. I know the area very well having lived and worked in it for 80yrs and we went at least 10 miles further round. With fuel cost it is even more important to find the shortest route.  I sat for four hours on the M25 once by the way... no escape.

On 01/04/2022 at 08:13, Walker570 said:

I agree to some degree but very often with local knowledge you can find a shorter route.  I don't have one of these fancy SAT NAV things I still use a map and my own brain.

Had a friend drive me back from hospital a week or so ago and I tried to suggest a short route home...no dirt tracks... and he insisted in following the nice lady on the loud speaker. I know the area very well having lived and worked in it for 80yrs and we went at least 10 miles further round. With fuel cost it is even more important to find the shortest route.  I sat for four hours on the M25 once by the way... no escape.

I use the M25 all the time, I was on it yesterday. Its by far the best way of getting around London. 

The idea that the M25 is a carpark is largely a myth. Any motorway has its holdups and any motorway around a major city is going to be busy. The M6 is worse in my opinion