12v windscreen heater / blower.

mel b3

Morning guys.

The heater blower has just given up on my old Nissan x trail .  I don't really think that the car is worth paying garage prices to get it fixed , and my back is shot to pieces at the moment,  so fixing it myself is out of the question . I'm looking for a quick fix,  until I'm able to repair it myself , so , I'm looking at getting a 12v windscreen heater / blower , that plugs into the cigarette lighter . Has anyone ever found a decent one , that actually works ?( I'm mainly asking landrover owners ) . I remember having one years ago , and to be honest,  it was complete rubbish. It'll be a shame to throw the xtrail away , as I really like it , and it's just gone through the mot , but it's no use if I can't clear the windscreen  .

Thanks for looking guys👍.

1 hour ago, RoBeRt1990 said:

I never found any of the 12v ones did anything in my old defender I ended up buying a power inverter and a small 500w electric heater to plug into it which worked well 

As I guessed 😒.  I might just fit a small diesel night heater in the rear , until I'm well enough to fix it properly. 

Thankyou for the info.

43 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, have you tried a Anti mist spray like Diamondbrite , suppose to help stop condensation 

I remember using it years ago Gordon,  but I don't remember it working very well. I think it needs to be some kind of heater blower , especially to clear ice from the windscreen. 

Not many good reports from people who have used one of theses heaters plus you may have to wire it direct to the battery as some of them can pull some big amp’s which may possibly blow the fuse in the cigarette lighter socket...https://www.backyardmechanic.org/what-is-the-best-12-volt-portable-car-heater/

It looks a fairly straight forward job, although a bit fiddly.

Dont know if this is your model Mel, but if so this might help when you feel fit enough to have a go at it...

11 minutes ago, mel b3 said:

I remember using it years ago Gordon,  but I don't remember it working very well. I think it needs to be some kind of heater blower , especially to clear ice from the windscreen. 

Hello, ok Mel , I tried some to but it did not work to well but did clear some condensation,  how about a 12 volt hair dryer 

Only works when you are parked at home, but I have found that popping a small domestic fan heater on an extension lead into the car whilst I am eating my breakfast makes the inside of the car toasty and the windscreen warm.

The other thing is to have a bag of dehumidifier crystals in the car to keep the moisture down

1 hour ago, steve_b_wales said:

Extra Strong mints and breathe heavily on the screen!

Heavy breathing is my specialty 😁

1 hour ago, old'un said:

Not many good reports from people who have used one of theses heaters plus you may have to wire it direct to the battery as some of them can pull some big amp’s which may possibly blow the fuse in the cigarette lighter socket...https://www.backyardmechanic.org/what-is-the-best-12-volt-portable-car-heater/

It looks a fairly straight forward job, although a bit fiddly.

Dont know if this is your model Mel, but if so this might help when you feel fit enough to have a go at it...

Cheers dave.

Mine is a 07 plate , and I'm not sure if it's in the same place . mine has the airbag in the dash , and a different set of heater controls.

It's always had a bit of a noise from the fan motor,  but a couple of months ago , the heater control stopped working , and the fan was stuck on full , this wasn't a problem until yesterday,  when the fan stopped working altogether. 

At the moment,  just getting into the car and driving is about all I can manage .

The car failed the mot last week on a track rod end and anti roll bar link , my mate did the track rod end for me , but I had to sit outside on a chair , and talk my very none mechanical son , through changing the anti roll bar link . I'm not sure that I could talk him through a fan motor swap without it turning into a fist fight 😄.

1 hour ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, ok Mel , I tried some to but it did not work to well but did clear some condensation,  how about a 12 volt hair dryer 

I think that a 12v hair dryer would probably be as weak as a 12v heater Gordon.  A diesel night heater would be a pretty easy install,  but would take up space in the back  , and I'm not mobile enough to fit one under the bonnet at the moment. 

14 minutes ago, amateur said:

Only works when you are parked at home, but I have found that popping a small domestic fan heater on an extension lead into the car whilst I am eating my breakfast makes the inside of the car toasty and the windscreen warm.

The other thing is to have a bag of dehumidifier crystals in the car to keep the moisture down

That would be ok when I'm at home,  but wouldn't be possible when I'm at work , or on a farm etc unfortunately 👍.

It is indeed a back stretcher of a job but the resistor is often the first thing to go and relatively simple and cheap for a flexible person: 

If you can find someone to help this is a good guide, just the wrong drive side, mine didn't work at any speed till i changed this some time before changing the motor: 

14 minutes ago, Dave-G said:

It is indeed a back stretcher of a job but the resistor is often the first thing to go and relatively simple and cheap for a flexible person: 

If you can find someone to help this is a good guide, just the wrong drive side, mine didn't work at any speed till i changed this some time before changing the motor: 

Mine is a 07 model dave , and the dash looks a bit different.  When the fan first got stuck on full power,  I came up with the resistor,  but I never bothered doing it as I was quite happy to leave the fan on full.  The resistor will probably be the starting point when I'm mobile again.

My back is getting a bit better now , but I'm scared of messing it up again by pushing my luck.

2 minutes ago, mel b3 said:

Mine is a 07 model dave , and the dash looks a bit different.  When the fan first got stuck on full power,  I came up with the resistor,  but I never bothered doing it as I was quite happy to leave the fan on full.  The resistor will probably be the starting point when I'm mobile again.

My back is getting a bit better now , but I'm scared of messing it up again by pushing my luck.

mine has a different dash too - the climate control type. is Lin not flexible either? :yay:

46 minutes ago, crossy 666 said:

Must be a Nissan thing as the one in are shooting bus don’t work either so we added a 12v night heater and it’s toasty now 

4C2FF203-A104-4E8D-BE70-85298CDCD68A.jpeg

305423D1-1E73-48DF-A556-798D0820685C.jpeg

That looks like it's working well crossy ,  Where did you fit the night heater ?.

2 hours ago, crossy 666 said:

eBay mate. It’s even remote control so you can turn it on from the house to warm it up before you go out 😂

0D59C37C-9416-4961-B435-84FDF9C4E345.png

Sorry crossy , I meant where did you fit it in the truck . Did it go in the back , or did you manage to fit it into the engine bay ?.

I put one of the larger ones( suitcase type) into lins shed , it's absolutely fantastic .

5 hours ago, mel b3 said:

Sorry crossy , I meant where did you fit it in the truck . Did it go in the back , or did you manage to fit it into the engine bay ?.

I put one of the larger ones( suitcase type) into lins shed , it's absolutely fantastic .

You treat her too well, heating the shed you keep her in!   :w00t: