F1 Masi's gone!

chrisjpainter

12 hours ago, redial said:

I respect your ethics.

Let's agree to disagree and look forward to the new season.

Just to add, my son is a Hamilton super fan. I had stopped watching F1 in the early 80's.

Then years later my son got the bug. I now have to endure qualifying sessions re-runs of successful Hamilton races, interviews etc etc.

Cheers.

I used to really look forward to F1. I know it isn't "pure" with some teams having more money/facilities than others but at least you could see what drivers were good and up and coming, George Russell for example but Red Bull and Verstappen have brought in an element of "win at any cost" which just doesn't sit right with me.

2 hours ago, toxo said:

I used to really look forward to F1. I know it isn't "pure" with some teams having more money/facilities than others but at least you could see what drivers were good and up and coming, George Russell for example but Red Bull and Verstappen have brought in an element of "win at any cost" which just doesn't sit right with me.

I believe that Colin Chapman may have beaten them to it with that philosophy

It was a hallow win for the red bull camp but the new F1 owners got the fairytale ending to a close F1 season.

I believe masi was asked to make the last race interesting and take it to the wire !

but rules need to be followed and Mercedes and Lewis were robbed as masi did not do his job properly!

Agriv8 

On 17/02/2022 at 15:42, toxo said:

There's obviously a lot more like me who want nothing more to do with F1 after that debacle. I want nothing less than a reversal of that decision and Verstappen went even lower in my estimation of him (If that were possible) when he accepted the title.

Couldn’t agree more. I’m now looking forward the moto GP and F1 can sod off now. Totally spoilt it for me just when I thought it was getting good and worth watching again after years of synchronised driving. 

should call masi, jimmy as he fixed it for Verstappen to win. 

Edited by figgy

4 hours ago, figgy said:

Couldn’t agree more. I’m now looking forward the moto GP and F1 can sod off now. Totally spoilt it for me just when I thought it was getting good and worth watching again after years of synchronised driving. 

should call masi, jimmy as he fixed it for Verstappen to win. 

That's exactly how I felt two months ago.  However, the recent announcement of the FIA's shake-up of the race management staff and protocols is the nearest to an admission of guilt and an acknowledgement of wrong doing as we're ever going to get.

With the new aero regs and the new fingers on the buttons in race control it's got to be worth giving a chance this season to see how it pans out.

I think this is Lewis' absolute last chance to get title number 8.  George is still going to be finding his feet with the car and within the team - he's going to be faster over one lap than Lewis quite a lot but he won't develop his consistency until later in the season, by which time Lewis will have already been churning out the high points finishes and striding out in front, forcing George into the wing-man role around Spa/Monza sort of time.

Imagine if you could have swapped Bottas for Russell last season in some of those moments where Lewis needed his team-mate to mount a bit of resistance against the Red Bull closing in.   Lewis will get that this year from George but in '23 it's going to be a different story I think.

The next couple of seasons are going to be exciting, as long as they're refereed consistently.

The Ross Brawn Effect is filtering through gradually, stick with it.

Shakedown week this week. Should be interesting to see what each team has coke up with and see the cars in ‘full’ race trim and not pootling around for ‘filming’ purposes. 
Know that the teams might not reveal their true potential, but there should be some good indications don’t you think? 

They always say winter testing means nothing.  There's always the same rhetoric about the top teams sandbagging to hide their full potential and you can't take anything from the lap times because of fuel loads, testing out aero parts etc etc.... but strangely every year from winter testing we get a very good idea of which teams are going to be in the title race!  We also get a good idea of who's got it wrong and is going to be seeing blue flags all season.

It was very painful to watch the dawn of Williams' nightmare season a few years ago when they turned up to Barcelona but didn't even have a car with them to test 😞

I'd love to see Mick Schumacher more able to fight his way up into the midfield and hold his ground there, let's hope Haas' decision to spend $0 on last year's car has paid off.

If Alpine have managed to take the big step they've been on the brink of and cut it with the big boys this year I think we're going to have an absolute blockbuster of a season on our hands.  Just imagine Alonso, Hamilton & Verstappen slugging it out every weekend. :drool:

7 hours ago, Jim Neal said:

They always say winter testing means nothing.  There's always the same rhetoric about the top teams sandbagging to hide their full potential and you can't take anything from the lap times because of fuel loads, testing out aero parts etc etc.... but strangely every year from winter testing we get a very good idea of which teams are going to be in the title race!  We also get a good idea of who's got it wrong and is going to be seeing blue flags all season.

It was very painful to watch the dawn of Williams' nightmare season a few years ago when they turned up to Barcelona but didn't even have a car with them to test 😞

I'd love to see Mick Schumacher more able to fight his way up into the midfield and hold his ground there, let's hope Haas' decision to spend $0 on last year's car has paid off.

If Alpine have managed to take the big step they've been on the brink of and cut it with the big boys this year I think we're going to have an absolute blockbuster of a season on our hands.  Just imagine Alonso, Hamilton & Verstappen slugging it out every weekend.

Nooooooo, anyone but Alonso.

14 hours ago, Jaymo said:

Nooooooo, anyone but Alonso.

14 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Absolutely!

I'm not a Fernando fan, due to things way back in the past, but I have respect for him as a driver.  He is aggressive but fair when he senses he can challenge the cars in front, and when defending too.  When he's in the mix he spices things up, so having him there makes for good entertainment.

I'd liken him to the Black Knight - he has to be there for the show to happen but you always want the good guy to beat him.

I've just thought... Lewis is black and he's also a Knight so that kind of screws up my theory a bit, but you know what I mean 😂

23 hours ago, Jim Neal said:

They always say winter testing means nothing.  There's always the same rhetoric about the top teams sandbagging to hide their full potential and you can't take anything from the lap times because of fuel loads, testing out aero parts etc etc.... but strangely every year from winter testing we get a very good idea of which teams are going to be in the title race!  

The best example of this was the year Jenson Button won the title. Honda pulled out before it started and left a car just sitting there doing nothing. Ross Brawn bought the team and the car, signed up Jenson and headed into the pre-season testing knowing nothing except that bookies had him at 100-1 for the Championship. Along came testing and he was six tenths up on everyone - even if Button didn't really fit in the car properly!

1 hour ago, Jim Neal said:

I'd liken him to the Black Knight - he has to be there for the show to happen but you always want the good guy to beat him.

I've just thought... Lewis is black and he's also a Knight so that kind of screws up my theory a bit, but you know what I mean 😂

Who's that then? Russell? Perez? Certainly not Hamilton or Max!