Did Anyone Venture Out Today ?

marsh man

We all like a bit of wind for Pigeon shooting but from late morning the wind would have been a bit extreme to say the least .

If I was a betting man I would put a small amount of money on P C to brave the elements after receiving a urgent phone call from one of his many farming contacts , this would be followed up with Mr JDog going out for a quick hour or so for a bit of flight line shooting.

So did anyone else tried there luck , or like me , was it a bit to much and just watched it unfold from the comfort of your home ?

7 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, not for me today but I did manage a walk down to the river at 4 pm, 100s of pigeons going over to Culham woods, 

I went out a bit later than that , around 4.45 , it was blowing a gale and I don't think it would had been safe shooting in a wood , the one I walked past had most of the trees creaking and making strange noise's , even the Pigeons were finding it hard sitting on the branches and it would have been a good shot to knock one off while it was sitting :lol:

26 minutes ago, Dave at kelton said:

Yep this morning wardening and on the shore tonight. Don’t know what all the fuss is about😂😂

Most of our geese have started to make the journey back up North and the ones that are left should be leaving anytime soon, so you might get a few extra ones while they stop off for a rest , always seem a bit sad when the season drawer to a close and when you get your last duck or goose when they only had to avoid the gun for a few more hours , must be getting soft in my ole age :good:

23 minutes ago, chilly1981 said:

Just got in from a few hours roost shooting challenge to say the least but good fun 

Well done for getting out and giving it a go , might be a while before you will get another wind like that , hope you connected with a few .

25 minutes ago, marsh man said:

Most of our geese have started to make the journey back up North and the ones that are left should be leaving anytime soon, so you might get a few extra ones while they stop off for a rest , always seem a bit sad when the season drawer to a close and when you get your last duck or goose when they only had to avoid the gun for a few more hours , must be getting soft in my ole age :good:

Well done for getting out and giving it a go , might be a while before you will get another wind like that , hope you connected with a few .

Years ago I shot a woodcock in the very last bit of light at a duck flight on the last night of the season.I remember feeling terrible that it only had to have flown past 2 or 3 minutes later and it would have survived.

My Dad used to say near the end of the season he stopped shooting as he thought the birds had done well enough to survive that long.At the time I couldn't understand it and I would have shot to the very last minute of the season but as most of my shooting is duck,snipe and woodcock which are totally wild I have come round to his way of thinking and now I don't bother shooting the last week or so of the season. I know it makes no difference to the birds when they are shot but I feel that they have run the gauntlet and deserve a break. 

On the other hand I shoot deer from the first day if the season to the last so I am practicing some serious double standards.

2 hours ago, marsh man said:

I went out a bit later than that , around 4.45 , it was blowing a gale and I don't think it would had been safe shooting in a wood , the one I walked past had most of the trees creaking and making strange noise's , even the Pigeons were finding it hard sitting on the branches and it would have been a good shot to knock one off while it was sitting :lol:

Hello, air rifle might be better the way I shoot these days 🙄

1 hour ago, pigeon controller said:

Report to follow after some food , just walked two dogs

I am all ready to receive my tonic for this week and the kettle is boiling nicely , after a wet and dismal day when most , if not all the local roost shooters stayed in the dry and warmth of there abodes , I knew I could rely on one man to show the flag and battle the elliments to answer the call of duty .

1 hour ago, marsh man said:

I am all ready to receive my tonic for this week and the kettle is boiling nicely , after a wet and dismal day when most , if not all the local roost shooters stayed in the dry and warmth of there abodes , I knew I could rely on one man to show the flag and battle the elliments to answer the call of duty .

No Problem, enjoy.