Rodent car attack! πŸ€πŸ€πŸ€

chesterse

Losing the battle with rodents eating bits of my cars this winter. Just had them attacking the wiring and negating the power steering on my Audi and this is after they chewed through some connection on the suspension a couple of months ago.

Apart from getting a cat and moving house any idea on what you can do to deter the blighters? I’ve tried the usual things like peppermint spray and leaving the outside lights on all night.

We are quite remote, that’s a big part of the problem.

Hello, look at aΒ  electronic sound rat and mouse gadgets ( Ultrasonic) you can get in Agriculture merchants , I would go on Google and check out some reviews, rats can destroy a host of things on the farm and the likes of your motor, hope you can get sortedπŸ‘, the UK farming forum worth checking out,Β 

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

33 minutes ago, old'un said:

I did have a problem with mice in my shed, chewing everything they could get their teeth into but these seem to-be keeping the mice numbers down, good price from Toolstation….https://www.toolstation.com/the-big-cheese-all-weather-block-bait/p97350

Those bait stations are a real bargain dave.

1 hour ago, Bobba said:

A method I learnt of years ago from an old warehouseman but I have never had need to use.Β A saucer of sugar mixed with dry cement powder and a saucer of water nearby.

Hello, sugar and bicarb of soda mixed served dry work ok on rats but you cannot beat a bit of lead served at high speedΒ :)

Get sone baiting stations around your garage.Β Β  A biscuit tin with a couple of 1 1/2 inch holes cut in will suffice to protect any outside interference from dogs etc and get some proper rat poison. Initially a small sprinkle of peanuts at the opening will do the job.Β Β  Just had our annual influx of rats under the bird feeders. Did exactly this and all activity has vanished in a week.Β 

1 hour ago, owain said:

Quite ironic really.
A post on a shooting forum, asking how to control rats!!

Seriouly though, fenn traps in a tunnel will do the trick.Β 

Β 

1 hour ago, owain said:

Quite ironic really.
A post on a shooting forum, asking how to control rats!!

Seriouly though, fenn traps in a tunnel will do the trick.Β 

It’s mice that are the main culprits. I have a couple of fenn traps set up all the time and also cage traps and I get one or two now and again.

15 hours ago, chesterse said:

Thanks for your ideas chaps. I’m a bit reluctant to poison them as we have several owls about and I wouldn’t want to secondary poison them.

I’ll try the ultrasonic sound though.

The sugar and bicarbonate would be safe as carrion.

19 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, sugar and bicarb of soda mixed served dry work ok on rats but you cannot beat a bit of lead served at high speedΒ :)

As a matter of interest, how does sugar and bicarb work? Thanks.

Edited by Bobba

20 minutes ago, Bobba said:

As a matter of interest, how does sugar and bicarb work? Thanks.

When baking soda hits their stomachs, it begins to produce large quantities of gas. As they can't pass wind (well I have never heard one ****) the gas and the internal pressure can eventually kill them.

• 2 weeks later...
36 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, how did you get on sorting the rat problem ??

I don’t know about solving it but have done the following and so far have not had any more issues.

I moved the car from it’s normal position with a hedge nearby to nearer the house.

I bought some battery operated ultrasonic noise deterrents which I put under the car every night.

I have a couple of bowls with baking powder/sugar and flour/sugar/cement nearby but these have not been touched so far.

Every night I put sticky pads in the engine compartment.

Every so often I spay peppermint spay around the wheel arches and in the engine compartment.

It’s cost me over Β£600 over the past few months and am just keeping my fingers crossed.

Β 

8 minutes ago, chesterse said:

I don’t know about solving it but have done the following and so far have not had any more issues.

I moved the car from it’s normal position with a hedge nearby to nearer the house.

I bought some battery operated ultrasonic noise deterrents which I put under the car every night.

I have a couple of bowls with baking powder/sugar and flour/sugar/cement nearby but these have not been touched so far.

Every night I put sticky pads in the engine compartment.

Every so often I spay peppermint spay around the wheel arches and in the engine compartment.

It’s cost me over Β£600 over the past few months and am just keeping my fingers crossed.

Β 

Hello, glad it's workingΒ  , they can really damage vehicles , a few years back on the farm, combine cost Β£3000 , good luck πŸ‘

On 20/02/2022 at 09:44, old'un said:

When baking soda hits their stomachs, it begins to produce large quantities of gas. As they can't pass wind (well I have never heard one ****) the gas and the internal pressure can eventually kill them.

i feel their pain:crazy:

On 20/02/2022 at 12:36, quentyn said:

they are not cheap but the goodnature traps are superb and they automatically resetΒ 

Have also ordered one of the goodnature traps to try as recommended by Quentyn. Over Β£130 each but might be worth it in the one run.