EV's catching fire, seems to be common than is reported

Weihrauch17

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Weihrauch17 said:

https://www.express.co.uk/life-style/cars/1568596/cargo-ship-fire-porsche-bentley-audi

It seems once the fire gets going they can take hours to put out.

there was a programme on recently ...as to how insanly difficult it can be to put an ev fire out.....effectivly they have to put the vehicle in a box and flood it with something

Funnily enough I have just been on various HV vehicle courses. We were basically told if a battery pack does ever catch fire just call the fire brigade and get away from it. Once they start burning basically you have to flood the battery pack, not to remove the oxygen, but to cool the chemical reaction, either by constantly flooding it with water or submerging it. I think the best course of action if one does catch fire is to hopefully get it to a reasonable safe place and let it burn itself out.

Also if anyone does own an EV and charges it at home never plug the charge lead into an extension lead. The charge leads have temperature sensors in them so if your home socket starts overheating it switches the charger off. If you plug the charge lead into an extension lead then it can't monitor the wall socket temperature and if it overheats then there is a risk of fire.

I’ve got an EV. I was sceptical at first and not that excited about it all, but having had one now for 4 months I know they’re the future and what’s coming over the horizon is getting better and better.

Like anything, I’d encourage everyone to try one for a couple of weeks before passing any judgment.

2 hours ago, ph5172 said:

What did you get and how many miles do you realistically get. 
I have heard it’s usually about 2/3 of the quoted range because of heaters and the like 

I got the Jag iPace.

The stats are spot on because you’re driving a computer. January 575 miles (all with heated seats and pre-heating the car), 336 KWh used, 18p per Kw - grand total cost of £60.50.

99% of my driving is to work and back and inside the M25. 

I’ve done a couple of 130 mile round trips with 3/4 charge but yes, the harder you drive the quicker the juice goes.

If you do get an electric car everyone will ask you how you will drive to Scotland or Cornwall. I’ve never driven to Scotland (I’ve flown plenty of times because I’m not daft) and I’ve only driven to Cornwall once on a car rally in a 1980 Honda Civic that crippled my back 😆

12 minutes ago, Mungler said:

If you do get an electric car everyone will ask you how you will drive to Scotland or Cornwall. I’ve never driven to Scotland (I’ve flown plenty of times because I’m not daft) and I’ve only driven to Cornwall once on a car rally in a 1980 Honda Civic that crippled my back 

Not really much of a motorist then?

EV just right for folk that never go anywhere much.

59 minutes ago, London Best said:

Not really much of a motorist then?

EV just right for folk that never go anywhere much.

I do tend to try and get to where I’m going quite quickly though 😆

As for being a ‘motorist’ I suppose I could rack up a load of miles driving to places I don’t actually need to go to, or I could drive to work, drive back home and then drive back to work again or I could just pack in my job and become an Uber driver 😆

But does anyone enjoy driving anymore? I used to, but now all the roads are clogged with traffic, terrible lane discipline, speed cameras everywhere etc. 

I drove back from the new forest in the wife’s car on Saturday at 10 am - M3, M25 like a car park and big queue at the tunnel. We didn’t get above 65 mph the whole 2.5 hour journey home. Her (petrol) car books a 0-60 in under 4 seconds, is limited to 155 mph and makes the best noise in sport mode. Depressingly pointless now. 

Edited by Mungler

• 2 weeks later...

If you live in London. 

I dont and still enjoy my time behind a wheel .

Chatting with a British gas board man  yesterday about his electric vivaro van (my vivaro is diesel  ) he said he had to wait 2.5 hours to charge his van half way from Bristol to London  as it would get him there one one full charge .(I brimmed my van last week and the info said I had 785 miles ) 

But best thing was he said he recons his old van cost less money per week to run than his electric van (maybe equal just at the moment with diesel being so expensive  ) but in in way at all is his electric van much  cheaper to  run and way way less convenient  .turns out that the reason gas prices are going up is because of British gas buying and constantly charging there electric vans .

Electric commercial vehicles are IMHO a non starter and are just a bit of window dressing for larger corporates that like to take photos of them and put them on their website.

It’s £8 a gallon at the pumps right now, and I can see the writing on the wall for energy prices (the only way is up) and that’s for petrol, diesel, gas and electric. Following on, I’m diving in with solar - I might do a nerd project and keep photos and logs of numbers etc. 

I’ve held off on solar because:

1. Early generation stuff all came with a whiff of bad news stories and ugly panels 

2. the economic break even the last time I ran the numbers was over +10 years away

But now, we are many generations of kit further forward, there are flat black panels that don’t look too bad and and looking at energy prices now, I reckon breakeven is but a couple of years away.

Edited by Mungler

On 03/03/2022 at 20:59, Ultrastu said:

If you live in London. 

I dont and still enjoy my time behind a wheel .

Chatting with a British gas board man  yesterday about his electric vivaro van (my vivaro is diesel  ) he said he had to wait 2.5 hours to charge his van half way from Bristol to London  as it would get him there one one full charge .(I brimmed my van last week and the info said I had 785 miles ) 

But best thing was he said he recons his old van cost less money per week to run than his electric van (maybe equal just at the moment with diesel being so expensive  ) but in in way at all is his electric van much  cheaper to  run and way way less convenient  .turns out that the reason gas prices are going up is because of British gas buying and constantly charging there electric vans .

The new electric vwT6.1 has an 80 miles range and if you use the heating etc ive heard it’s 40miles 😂. It’s a van that’s no good for nothing .

I heard the transit is 30 miles 

6 hours ago, team tractor said:

The new electric vwT6.1 has an 80 miles range and if you use the heating etc ive heard it’s 40miles 😂. It’s a van that’s no good for nothing .

I heard the transit is 30 miles 

This, EVs are just a virtue signalling wet dream of saving the planet, all with false advertising like "zero emissions" and upto X miles per charge, X being an unobtainable number.

They are not the future.

Edited by Newbie to this

There is a little ‘bread van’ sized EV delivery vehicle around our area. I think DPD run it. 
probably perfect for multi drop type deliveries 

just looked snd it’s an NV200. Quoted as 150mile odd range 

Edited by ph5172

3 hours ago, Newbie to this said:

Or sit in any sort of traffic, put the heaters on, wash the windscreen...... the list goes on.

That is one of the most common misconceptions.

I’d love to do a dry run - 100 ev sceptics, give them an EV and a home charger for a month and see the results.

I would add that my brother has had EVs for about 8 years now. I used to be sceptical and rib him about all the obvious perceived EV failings and he would just smile and say ‘get one and see’.