EV's catching fire, seems to be common than is reported

Weihrauch17

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Day ahead electricity prices are currently holding about £200\mwh, which translates to 20p\kwh, assuming normal profit margins, this translates to 30p per kWh from next October for domestic electricity, charge rates at third party chargers will be north of 45p per kWh.

For 75kwh battery with a range 260 miles (3.5 miles per kWh), domestic charging at 30p\kwh  will give a per mile rate of 8.6p per mile for fuel.

A similar diesel getting 70mpg and costing £1.75 a litre cost 11.4p per mile for fuel.

Third party charging at 45p\kwh will give a rate of 12.9p per mile.

Whilst sourcing an electric car through a business remains an inexpensive option due to tax differences, fuel costs are changing and electricity will be on par with a diesel for the common man, and coupled with higher initial capital costs will make EV's impractical for a lot of people.

13 minutes ago, Stonepark said:

Day ahead electricity prices are currently holding about £200\mwh, which translates to 20p\kwh, assuming normal profit margins, this translates to 30p per kWh from next October for domestic electricity, charge rates at third party chargers will be north of 45p per kWh.

For 75kwh battery with a range 260 miles (3.5 miles per kWh), domestic charging at 30p\kwh  will give a per mile rate of 8.6p per mile for fuel.

A similar diesel getting 70mpg and costing £1.75 a litre cost 11.4p per mile for fuel.

Third party charging at 45p\kwh will give a rate of 12.9p per mile.

Whilst sourcing an electric car through a business remains an inexpensive option due to tax differences, fuel costs are changing and electricity will be on par with a diesel for the common man, and coupled with higher initial capital costs will make EV's impractical for a lot of people.

Energy prices are only going one way.

I’m going down the solar and battery route. The last time I did the break even calc it was over a decade off - not now. I’d also be intrigued to know what the feedback tariff will be.

3 hours ago, Mungler said:

Energy prices are only going one way.

I’m going down the solar and battery route. The last time I did the break even calc it was over a decade off - not now. I’d also be intrigued to know what the feedback tariff will be.

Feed in Tariff has been replaced by the Smart Export Guarantee. Energy Saving Trust have some good example of costs and pay backs which need updated.

Basically the SEG prevents a negative price for exports but insists on a smart meter being fitted and equipment being installed by a 'certified installer.

Unless rates have been updated (I suspect not) the SEG still allows electricity companies to take the .....

https://solarenergyuk.org/resource/smart-export-guarantee/?cn-reloaded=1

6 hours ago, Stonepark said:

Feed in Tariff has been replaced by the Smart Export Guarantee. Energy Saving Trust have some good example of costs and pay backs which need updated.

Basically the SEG prevents a negative price for exports but insists on a smart meter being fitted and equipment being installed by a 'certified installer.

Unless rates have been updated (I suspect not) the SEG still allows electricity companies to take the .....

https://solarenergyuk.org/resource/smart-export-guarantee/?cn-reloaded=1

If it ends up that we’re all going to be paying not less than 40p a KWh in the not too distant future, what goes back to the grid has got to have a value greater than that historically on offer.

I think the battery route makes the most sense with a smart meter and a tariff which in old money I would call economy 7.

I don’t see energy prices stabilising for a decade - we did it to ourselves with this green nonsense. Don’t get me wrong, it’s good to be green but not when it wrecks your economy and our country is but a ‘drop in the bucket’ polluter globally.

If anyone has any better ideas than solar,l right now, I’m all ears.  

9 hours ago, Mungler said:

If anyone has any better ideas than solar,l right now, I’m all ears.

This

https://newatlas.com/energy/quaise-deep-geothermal-drilling-questions/?fbclid=IwAR0xF_1lxPYHUHEF2t_2VAWP4nC8NEARlSuSastDxGX1tPgGnBT35fTfeGo

looked interesting ........ but how true or viable it is I have no idea.

• 2 months later...
On 22/05/2022 at 16:09, Weihrauch17 said:

Hahhahahah you really should look harder beyond the ‘knock the EV’ narrative.

The fire destroyed 4 diesel buses and 2 “hybrid” buses (no EV vehicles) and the cause of the fire undetermined. 

A334D0D5-A3E5-41F3-A980-2BDDB85D8434.jpeg

this thread is the PW forum in a nutshell lmao,

arguing the merit of something based on extremes and hypotheticals.  if 1 charge got 1000 mile and could tow 15 tonne someone would  demand theyre usless becasue they might need to drive 1010 mile and tow 16 tonne. 

somone will be along to blame it all on basc shortly

6 hours ago, Sweet11-87 said:

arguing the merit of something based on extremes and hypotheticals.  if 1 charge got 1000 mile and could tow 15 tonne someone would  demand theyre usless becasue they might need to drive 1010 mile and tow 16 tonne. 

Very good!

6 hours ago, Sweet11-87 said:

And that you need more choke 🤣

8 hours ago, Sweet11-87 said:

Hahahha that is spot on.

8 hours ago, Sweet11-87 said:

"someone will be along to blame it all on basc shortly" . 

I doubt there worried a free motor electric or other they won't care. 

They only post on here to see what response they get. 

They never interact with what they post anyway. 

I have a friend who's been in the fire service in a large region in England for many years,he has told me that they are now regulary called out to EV fires & that they are an absolute nightmare to extinguish,he recommends to never own one!

18 hours ago, Sweet11-87 said:

Well one caught fire and sunk a ship full of luxury EV's because they couldn't put it out and it spread, wait until insurers refuse to insure any ships including ferries carrying EV's.  It absolutely is a very real problem.  A friend of mine who makes fire retardent material has been tasked with making material to contain EV fires, the fires are ferocious and take hours to put out.  EV's are not the future and they are not green in any shape of form.

Edited by Weihrauch17

42 minutes ago, Mungler said:

They are totally unfeasable for 90% of the population on both cost or charging and if they can't be exported or travel on trains of Ferries what is the point.  Plus new battery at 8 years means they will be worthless near that age when the cost of a new battery is 10 > 15k.  Is the mining of all the precious metals green no and on top of that there will be nowhere near enough, the whole idea is a woke none starter. 

27 minutes ago, Weihrauch17 said:

Is the mining of all the precious metals green no and on top of that there will be nowhere near enough, the whole idea is a woke none starter.

The BBC Programme "Sliced Bread" did an investigation and found that roughly 6.7 tons of carbon is used to produce a new small petrol car - against 12 tons for an equivalent sized EV, mainly due to the battery.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/PZrcl898GNqcGzMV2TgrvX/eight-things-you-need-to-know-before-buying-an-electric-car