This is Going to Hurt

Scully

1 hour ago, London Best said:

My mate from Roadhead always hits the ‘off’ button the second any come on the screen. He says, “I’m not having those people in my living room.”

He doesn’t get to watch much telly, because it’s riddled with them.

He can't have been watching much, if any television, since the late 70s!

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Feel I have to stand united with walkedup here and as I started the subject of the scenes in the program We should welcome all to our forum regardless of religious beliefs or sexual orientation - We have enough “enemies’ out there without making anymore !

though trying to bring this back to a lighter note  I think we can draw the line at positive discrimination against the follow on our good old PW

Darleks

cybermen

bully of grange hill

Chris Packam

Atb Agriv8 

46 minutes ago, WalkedUp said:

London Best, many of us value your knowledge and experience across a range of topics, but this is one area where the vast majority do not agree with you. 

Shooting should be a broad church. You are welcome to your opinions, however most people would rather discuss the merits of the subject programme rather than views of homosexuality. 

23 minutes ago, Scully said:

As an aside, I ordered the book at around 5pm yesterday, and it arrived about an hour ago! 🙂Now that’s impressive! 

Very impressive , can you wonder why the high streets are drying , during the week we wanted something simple like a tub of dog tablets , I looked on line and Pets At Home said they had them in stock at £12 a tub , P A H is about 3 or 4 miles from us , jumped in the motor and when I got there I was told they no longer keep them in stock , the young lady said she could order them and I would have to pick them up at the shop . I said no I will get them elsewhere.

Ordered them on Amazon at just over £9 a tub , I ordered two tubs and a small tub of Cod Liver Oil to make the £20 up for free delivery and they were at my house within two days of me ordering , very happy with the service.

20 minutes ago, marsh man said:

Very impressive , can you wonder why the high streets are drying , during the week we wanted something simple like a tub of dog tablets , I looked on line and Pets At Home said they had them in stock at £12 a tub , P A H is about 3 or 4 miles from us , jumped in the motor and when I got there I was told they no longer keep them in stock , the young lady said she could order them and I would have to pick them up at the shop . I said no I will get them elsewhere.

Ordered them on Amazon at just over £9 a tub , I ordered two tubs and a small tub of Cod Liver Oil to make the £20 up for free delivery and they were at my house within two days of me ordering , very happy with the service.

I know. I popped into our local PAH for some wormer and when browsing online for something else, found I could have bought the same product cheaper online.
I always feel a tad guilty ordering online, and once swore that I would never give my card details to any online company. However, having two young children soon changed that as we all know how fast their feet grow, especially young lads and football boots! The choice was a 30 or 62 mile round trip and the time to do it, or a quick browse online. No brainer. 
I was very critical of my former boss when he said he did most of his postal stuff online, telling him he couldn’t really complain if our local closed, then find myself doing similar because it’s more convenient.
Some companies which have a high street presence however, also have an online one, and actively encourage us to use it. 🤷‍♂️
What to do? 

Anyhow, I shall enjoy the book and the rest of the series on the box. 🙂

3 hours ago, Agriv8 said:

Feel I have to stand united with walkedup here and as I started the subject of the scenes in the program We should welcome all to our forum regardless of religious beliefs or sexual orientation - We have enough “enemies’ out there without making anymore !

though trying to bring this back to a lighter note  I think we can draw the line at positive discrimination against the follow on our good old PW

Darleks

cybermen

bully of grange hill

Chris Packam

Atb Agriv8 

Sounds like a definitive list to me.

I'll also add that there are pepole I wouldent know in this life if it wasent for shooting or fishing. I cant think of any other sporting activity that spans such a range of social class, age, occupation, etc. With the odd exception (and I do mean odd exception) whenever I've established someone shoots or fishes, I've got on like a house on fire with them.

I know pepole like to fall out on the Internet about things they wouldn't fall out over in real life - and we all have our own sincerely held views - but our sport is one of the best for bringing pepole together in my experiance.

Have just watched the final episode ( raining and blowing a hooly outside!) and OH is in tears. I have to say that has been one of the best things I’ve seen on tv in years; a seriously powerful piece of tv. 

2 hours ago, PeterHenry said:

Sounds like a definitive list to me.

I'll also add that there are pepole I wouldent know in this life if it wasent for shooting or fishing. I cant think of any other sporting activity that spans such a range of social class, age, occupation, etc. With the odd exception (and I do mean odd exception) whenever I've established someone shoots or fishes, I've got on like a house on fire with them.

I know pepole like to fall out on the Internet about things they wouldn't fall out over in real life - and we all have our own sincerely held views - but our sport is one of the best for bringing pepole together in my experiance.

Agree entirely. 👍

2 hours ago, Hicky said:

Probably, it’s how things are done now.

I haven't watched the series yet but I'll get caught up, there didn't seem to be any sex in the book itself when I read it, a few remarks but that was about it.

When I read the book I didn't even catch on that Adam was gay..... his partner is referred to only by an initial "H". By the way his 2nd book is also brilliant "twas the nightshift before christmas"...another great read. 

I used to play rugby with a gay fella called Rick, there was no way you could tell this man was gay unless he told you. And his penchant for commenting on my great cudding in the front row of the scrum 😆

Edited by Rob85

I do not watch much television, the only programme I watch is Fieldsports Britain. However knowing of the book and listening to reviews on Radio 4 persuaded me to watch on iPlayer. I’ve been catching 1/2 episodes when I can. I was genuinely moved by the visceral stress of the high risk labour scenes.... I’ve been there three times in the last few years. However the programme was absolutely blighted by the personal (mother/boyfriend/best man) junk. It did not hold my attention at all and I found myself sending emails rather than watching during some of the more tedious pf the personal melodramas.

Spoiler alert:

The final episode was awful, massive anticlimax in medical concerns. Every baby and mother survived perfectly. All ends well. Shrusti was the only character I had any empathy for (plus the babies) and once she was gone I found myself disengaged. 

19 minutes ago, WalkedUp said:

I do not watch much television, the only programme I watch is Fieldsports Britain. However knowing of the book and listening to reviews on Radio 4 persuaded me to watch on iPlayer. I’ve been catching 1/2 episodes when I can. I was genuinely moved by the visceral stress of the high risk labour scenes.... I’ve been there three times in the last few years. However the programme was absolutely blighted by the personal (mother/boyfriend/best man) junk. It did not hold my attention at all and I found myself sending emails rather than watching during some of the more tedious pf the personal melodramas.

Spoiler alert:

The final episode was awful, massive anticlimax in medical concerns. Every baby and mother survived perfectly. All ends well. Shrusti was the only character I had any empathy for (plus the babies) and once she was gone I found myself disengaged. 

Each to their own. 🙂 We thoroughly enjoyed it.

I’m currently reading the book; quite different from the tv portrayal and unputdownable. 👍

Edited by Scully

48 minutes ago, WalkedUp said:

Spoiler alert:

I am the same , maybe if I had watched some of the previous programs then I might have had a different opinion , I have read some good reviews on P W so when it came on the other night I said to my wife this by all accounts is worth watching , in less than 15 minutes I had lost interest and knew I wasting my time watching it , not for me .

1 hour ago, Scully said:

Each to their own. 🙂 We thoroughly enjoyed it.

Exactly, I know I do not enjoy drama or television but I appreciate that others do. For me I can not enjoy something but accept that it is still of value and that others do - even if in the moment I react in a binary manner (brilliant/awful). 

On 20/02/2022 at 09:46, London Best said:

My mate from Roadhead always hits the ‘off’ button the second any come on the screen. He says, “I’m not having those people in my living room.”

He doesn’t get to watch much telly, because it’s riddled with them.

Couldn't agree more.

1 hour ago, Scully said:

I didn’t realise there were so many fossils on PW! 

Group therapy would probably prove to be even cheaper! 😀

I don't care what folk do as long as it isn't compulsory and they don't thrust it down my throat - literally or figuratively. 😁

Edited by amateur
Spelling

4 hours ago, Scully said:

I didn’t realise there were so many fossils on PW! 

Group therapy would probably prove to be even cheaper! 😀

People are free to like gay sex , but people are equally as free not to like it . It doesn't make them fossils , it just makes them straight . Laughing at people that don't like it is just the same as laughing at people for being gay.

I have no problem with gay sex , just as long as I don't have to do it , but two men kissing makes me wretch , not just turn my nose up , it really makes me physically sick . Our gay friends ( the male ones )know this , and wouldn't dream of kissing in front of me,  anymore than I'd do something that theyd find extremely offensive. 

I'm all for equality and fairness,  but it has to work both ways , otherwise,  it isn't equal , and it's not fair 🌈.

Edited by mel b3

47 minutes ago, mel b3 said:

People are free to like gay sex , but people are equally as free not to like it . It doesn't make them fossils , it just makes them straight . Laughing at people that don't like it is just the same as laughing at people for being gay.

I have no problem with gay sex , just as long as I don't have to do it , but two men kissing makes me wretch , not just turn my nose up , it really makes me physically sick . Our gay friends ( the male ones )know this , and wouldn't dream of kissing in front of me,  anymore than I'd do something that theyd find extremely offensive. 

I'm all for equality and fairness,  but it has to work both ways , otherwise,  it isn't equal , and it's not fair 🌈.

I quite agree Mel, to a point. I turn away when I see gay men or women having a snog; it doesn’t make me wretch, but I prefer not to see it.

The difference between me and a fossil however, is that I wouldn’t dream of referring to gay people as ‘those people’ or describing tv as ‘riddled with them’ like it was some sort of disease. If people can’t see that that’s offensive then perhaps it’s not just therapy they need. 
Like I said, being either gay or otherwise isn’t a lifestyle choice. 

56 minutes ago, mel b3 said:

but two men kissing makes me wretch

Watching two of any couple makes me wretch but if the couple are happy and it is an appropriate place for them to be doing so, so be it. Live and let live. 

For example I despise tattoos, with a hatred. For me a pretty woman with a tattoo is as attractive as an ice cream dropped in dog muck, I find them repulsive but some of my pals are mad for it. Neither of us are right, we just have different preferences. When at a public pool I cannot ask people to cover their tattoos just because their poorly executed, infantile scribbled upon skin offends my eyes. No more than they can ask me to cut my stray shoulder hairs poking out of pink flesh like a poorly prepared pork belly.

I think some of you seem to have forgotten (or are not old enough to know) that ‘gay’ was always another word for ‘happy’. The homosexuals have stolen the word.

1 minute ago, WalkedUp said:

Watching two of any couple makes me wretch but if the couple are happy and it is an appropriate place for them to be doing so, so be it. Live and let live. 

For example I despise tattoos, with a hatred. For me a pretty woman with a tattoo is as attractive as an ice cream dropped in dog muck, I find them repulsive but some of my pals are mad for it. Neither of us are right, we just have different preferences. When at a public pool I cannot ask people to cover their tattoos just because their poorly executed, infantile scribbled upon skin offends my eyes. No more than they can ask me to cut my stray shoulder hairs poking out of pink flesh like a poorly prepared pork belly.

Plus one! Absolutely repulsive. I don’t even like them on blokes.

19 minutes ago, Scully said:

I quite agree Mel, to a point. I turn away when I see gay men or women having a snog; it doesn’t make me wretch, but I prefer not to see it.

Two women kissing doesn't bother me in the slightest . Lin used to say that I'm homophobic and have double standards . It took me a couple of years to realise that it's just  because I'm straight .