Get me onto the PCPs?

wildfowler.250

Right gents, I need some advice because I fancy a pcp but I’ve never committed.

Currently I’ve got a HW77K which I barely use,(I think if I can get a pellet on pellet accuracy of a pcp, I’d be a lot more confident head shooting woodies and filling a bag).

I’ve also got a .22lr which I need to factor into the equation as far as will the pcp airgun be worthwhile .

1) Point one really is filling up the airgun. Our work gets oxygen cylinders delivered,(assume they’re medical oxygen but probably the same thing!). I presume I could buy a cylinder and refill as needed? Or are most gun shops able to refill nowadays? I’m based in central Scotland so can get to most places within an hour.

2) Do I want FAC? The biggest pain I find with the .22lr is guaranteed if you take it out, you’ll see something in a tree you can’t shoot. And if I take the airgun, it’ll be just that bit too far and I’ll want the rifle. How far can you realistically shoot with the FAC? They seem to drastically change your shot capacity. Also, I don’t shoot rats any more but would this write off any indoor use for ferals etc? Probably?

Finally costs and gun? I like weihrauch and think they’ve got good build quality. Air arms also seem to be popular. What am I looking to spend to get a proper set up. It doesn’t need to be daystate but if I cut corners I know I won’t use it.

Appreciate the help! I’ve found it hard to justify up until now as the springer has bailed me out on the few occasions and then the .22lr has been the rabbit gun but it would be a handy tool to have!

Cheers!

use air only  12ft 1lb would be better for indoor  unless the f.a.c. has adjustable power to lower it to 12ft 1lb  there is plenty cheaper pcp rifles that would work great no need for high priced guns i bought a compressor for filling my guns in the long run its cheaper plus you don't have to keep going for bottle fills

If you are using it to primarily shoot live quarry and are reasonably fit then a pump is no issue. I’ve had my S410 for 20 years, calculated per tree rat it has worked out as a very cheap gun. I cannot comment on other PCPs as I’ve never had need to shoot another. 

I am sure you are aware, but the guns are filled with air not pure oxygen. 

DO NOT use O2 in your airgun!

FAC - goes from 150 shots perfill at 12ft-lbs to about 30 shots at FAC. As a rough idea of how much air you will use.  Once on FAC it loses value massively, unless a Rapid, they seem to have achieved cult status and prices are according to demand. It will help you cheat the wind though. Realistic, still air, range on a woodie (I never take head shots, a good boiler house shot puts them in the bag, a slight miss on the head that smashes the beak to bits leaves a bird happy to fly off but unable to feed and die a lingering death over weeks, unless a predator takes it out. A good boiler house shot works every time and doesn't limit your shots so much.

Bottle filling - use diver's air from a scuba filling place. About £5 - £10 per fill (12 litre bottle worthwhile getting to save trips to get it filled so often).

An FAC air rifle on here at the moment for sale from a respected member.  I went from pump to tank and I am lucky in having a refill location on route back from one of my shoot areas.  I have considered FAC and decided not to go up that route as my Air Arms S200 ,22 at 12ft lbs does all I need. IF you can locate an AA S200 then snap it up they where some of the best rifles made in my view and still do the job....ask any tree rats around here...don't bother they can't answer.

The comments on becoming VERY proficient with any rifle is valid. Check out if you can hit a 1 inch circle at various ranges and when you start to struggle you know your limitations and stick to the next shortest range.

I enjoy my PCP because it has ten shots sitting waiting and another ten in a spare magazine quickly appliable if needed.  No fiddling trying to make icy cold fingers insert a pellet.

1 hour ago, Accuspell said:

DO NOT use O2 in your airgun!

FAC - goes from 150 shots perfill at 12ft-lbs to about 30 shots at FAC. As a rough idea of how much air you will use.  Once on FAC it loses value massively, unless a Rapid, they seem to have achieved cult status and prices are according to demand. It will help you cheat the wind though. Realistic, still air, range on a woodie (I never take head shots, a good boiler house shot puts them in the bag, a slight miss on the head that smashes the beak to bits leaves a bird happy to fly off but unable to feed and die a lingering death over weeks, unless a predator takes it out. A good boiler house shot works every time and doesn't limit your shots so much.

Bottle filling - use diver's air from a scuba filling place. About £5 - £10 per fill (12 litre bottle worthwhile getting to save trips to get it filled so often).

:good:

Should you do so and add a dab of grease into the equation you could just find yourself in most places of Central Scotland all at the same time.

I'd have to recommend  a sub 12 first over a fac airgun (as good as they can be ) its sooo  much simpler starting with a sub 12 .

Shot count differences between sub 12 and fac .

.177  fac version is about 50 % less shots  than sub 12 -  so 60 down to around 30 shots 

.22  is around 65 % less 

So 60 down to 20 shots 

.25  is around  80 % less shots depending on power levels .(they can go very high ) 

As for head shooting pigeons .I dont .

Not least because  its hard to do (the head hardly ever stops moving  - unless it's asleep ) and also they can roll and flap around so much its not pleasant to witness and can make retrieval  hard sometimes .

Body shots for me and to this end I prefer a .22 for birds .hit them low in the crop area just above the keel bone .(stone dead )

As for a bottle . Don't bother .get a gun and stirrup pump .a gun that doesn't take lots to fill is much easier so like walker said above aa. s200  ,  bsa ultra  ,hw100 carbine 

That way your totally independent of bottles and faf .with all the benefits  of a pcp .

Just my opinion. 

Edited by Ultrastu

As above.  The main reason I went to a tank was because my pump had to go in for a refurb and a tank was available. Plus eight decades also takes it's toll on working that pump. I am fortunate as said having a handy refill site. OK probably cost me a fiver every 6 to 8 weeks but what the #### whats 50p a week when I'm enjoying myself?

I do a lot of static shooting from purpose built blinds and one covers the slurry and feed area of a dairy farm so bird control in the feed area is important.  My AA S200 is zeroed at 30yrds and I have a Hawke Airmax scope on it which allows me to know which dot to align for the inbetween shots.  Magpies are in serious trouble out at 40yrds and a flip top tree rat feeder 20yrds away can easily be covered by knowing which 'pip' to put on the mark.   Therefore buy a good scope and the made for the job Airmax take a lot of beating with side adjustment paralax focusing.  I have fitted one of those fishing reel/rod plastic straps on the  ring for adjusting magnification and that makes fast adjustment a dream. 

If you get fac air you’re probably best with a bottle gun, the modern bottle guns like impacts with power plenum for example, in .22 will give more than 200 shots per charge at well over 30ft lbs. I usually run 18 grain pellets at around 35ft lbs and with a reg pressure of only 95 bar using power plenum the shot count is vast. Mine has a 700mm barrel though, which makes it more efficient. Depends how much you want to spend of course, but I can definitely recommend an fac impact mk2 or mk3 with x twist barrel, they shoot slugs well also if required.

8 hours ago, wildfowler.250 said:

Do I want FAC? The biggest pain I find with the .22lr is guaranteed if you take it out, you’ll see something in a tree you can’t shoot. And if I take the airgun, it’ll be just that bit too far and I’ll want the rifle. How far can you realistically shoot with the FAC? They seem to drastically change your shot capacity. Also, I don’t shoot rats any more but would this write off any indoor use for ferals etc? Probably?

How far would you want to shoot in a tree? I'm sure you would see a big difference with a 177 sub pcp's compared with the springer.

3 hours ago, Rimfireboy said:

you get fac air you’re probably best with a bottle gun, the modern bottle guns like impacts with power plenum for example, in .22 will give more than 200 shots per charge at well over 30ft lbs

But I was going to suggest something like this if you go FAC,  the modern guns and shot counts are really impressive.

7 hours ago, Rimfireboy said:

Fair comment. I use a 12ltr 300 bar bottle, costs £4:00 for a refill so good value really. It keeps four rifles in air for ages.

I think a 12ltr would keep me in air for years.

I like a bottle gun simply because I don't have to keep an eye on the air I use so much, I'm only normally shooting maybe ten pellets a week depending on the number of squirrels I see, maybe a couple of shots checking zero, but I'll fill to 200, then maybe refill it in a month's time.

Have a look at the Gunpower range also, there marmite to some, but I have had a .25 stealth for some years now and find it suits me well very, simple system so easy to keep, large bottle so fair number of shot in FAC and in sub 12 its a silly number.

There a bit crude in some aspects but accuracy is good, I like the stealth for the fact you can pack it away and when in its case dose not even look like you have a gun, plus you can custom them to your own taste and even the sub 12 gun can be adjusted for power but in a more fixed manner than the FAC version.