Fiocchi

9 minutes ago, London Best said:

Have to disagree with that.

I have shot a lot of stuff with Express, and Eley Trap .410 are brilliant.

So have I but I use 3 inch 

my go to cartridges as fiochie if Winchester weren’t available 

until recently when I tried some hull high pheasant fibre (£432a thousand) there more than impressive so much so that I mentioned it to another 410 shooter he was adamant that express were the best he’s a good shot and a express agent 

a competition was suggested and a head too head express V hull the competition was to judge the quality of the break’s and the capability of the cartridges

we went to the ground and it’s set up for 12 bore competition so fairly challenging targets 

to make it fair as we had different guns it was decided to each shoot 50 of our own and then 50 of the other brand

we had the ground owner/coach buttoning and scoreing and there were two other people with 12 bores shooting in the squad 

it was pretty obvious after the first 30 which cartridges were doing the best breaks we carried on stand 5 was a long crossing with a high teal at 35 yards express was first no breaks hull managed 7 breaks mr express then tried the hull on the same clay 4 out of 4 breaks we carried on finishing the 100 we did have a bit of a problem with the express blowing the heads off the case and leaving the tubes in the chamber with both guns  a browning and a beretta this was surprisingly dangerous in my opinion definitely not a cartridge for a pump or semi auto 

top gun 12 ….85 also top gun in the day 

hull ….73 …410 

express …68 ..410

last 12 …63

so conclusion hull were the best and the safest on the day 12bore gets a better score 

410 does the job and is more fun 

we are having a return match fiochie V hull 

I’ll let you know the outcome 

Thanks for that, Old Farrier, very interesting stuff.
I have to say both my .410’s are 2 1/2 inch chambered and I have never tried Hull .410’s because their 2 1/2 inch offerings that I have seen have all been loaded with only 11 grams of shot, whereas the Express and Eley Trap are 14 gram. Both of these cartridges perform better than Eley Fourlong. I note you mention Winchester. I did once manage to find some Winchester 2 1/2 inch ‘35 power’ (at a game fair in 1981/2) and they were brilliant cartridges. I have never seen any Fiochi .410’s. The secret with only a 14 gram load is small shot. I will not buy anything larger than size 7. But, having said that, someone gave me 50 Eley 2 inch .410’s loaded with 9 grams of No.6, only 86 pellets. I did not expect much performance so Dunks and I fired them off at clays and, I must say, we were both pleasantly amazed at their performance. I cannot say what the percentage of hits was, because when I shoot clays I never bother to count the breaks.

3 hours ago, Morkin said:

Thanks for that Hawkfanz I don't know if they would cycle well in my berreta but sounds good for o/u ,are they what I call a harsh cartridge that kick or quiet smooth, and what do you shoot in your 20, grams and shot size because I'd try some in mine .

they work fine in my a300 outlander.

Just now, hawkfanz said:

they work fine in my a300 outlander.

25gram in o/u 28g no6 in auto.

48 minutes ago, Old farrier said:

Try some of the new hull high pheasant you’ll be surprised 👍

Yes, I have also used High Pheasant and to be honest if I did my bit they behaved very well. To be honest, I don't think there is much between, Fiocchi, Hull High Pheasant and the newer Lylevale if the bird is in the pattern and that is down to us.   It is so easy to blame the cartridge. I have some products arriving Friday to run up some 18gr Bismuth and will do some pattern and penetration tests on them at a properly measured 35yrds....amazing how some people cannot judge 35-40yrds...it's a fair old stretch.

Most of my estates this next season are going non toxic and fibre so I need to be able to load shells to comply whilst waiting for the manufacturers to come up with a suitable load. I would think the fibre wad would be the problem for them. I don't know but would assume a fibre wad is more difficult to feed on a machine at speed than a plastic wad that doesn't need an over powder card as well.   A genuine fast decaying ' plaswad' type would be the answer.  All interesting stuff.

Right, heres my experience.

Love the PL32 6s, probably one of my favourite pigeon cartridges and I've used 1000s.

Could'nt get any last time I went to the shops, so on recommendation of the salesman, took a few slabs of PL30 6s home as according to him they are just as good.

Whether its me, the gun or the carts I can't be 100% certain, but they are maybe the worst cartridges I have ever used, worse than the baikal record I had when I first started shooting. They didn't seem to make a dent in anything I shot at and my usual ratio was well down, requiring two or three bangs to bring anything down.

How 2g of shot can make such a difference I don't know, but it does. I am in the process of doing a semi scientific comparison with some other similar carts I still have a few of and will try to find out why., just need to find the time and a day when it isn't horrible outside.

4 minutes ago, adzyvilla said:

Love the PL32 6s, probably one of my favourite pigeon cartridges and I've used 1000s.

Could'nt get any last time I went to the shops, so on recommendation of the salesman, took a few slabs of PL30 6s home as according to him they are just as good.

Whether its me, the gun or the carts I can't be 100% certain, but they are maybe the worst cartridges I have ever used, worse than the baikal record I had when I first started shooting. They didn't seem to make a dent in anything I shot at and my usual ratio was well down, requiring two or three bangs to bring anything down.

How 2g of shot can make such a difference I don't know, but it does. I am in the process of doing a semi scientific comparison with some other similar carts I still have a few of and will try to find out why., just need to find the time and a day when it isn't horrible outside.

interesting, years ago I was given 200 Rottweil cartridges, used to come loose in a shoe box sized box.

Struggled to hit anything until in desperation we started cutting back the lead.

Then when we were giving targets half of what we would usually give they started to break!

Turned out they were a VERY fast cartridge, never bought any after that, stuck to my usual Gamebore's.

17 minutes ago, adzyvilla said:

If I remember well someone on here did a test and found similar (fibre wad) .. pattern testing showed balled shot and gas escaping past the wad and poor lead quality were cited.

18 minutes ago, Smokersmith said:

If I remember well someone on here did a test and found similar (fibre wad) .. pattern testing showed balled shot and gas escaping past the wad and poor lead quality were cited.

There could be something in that, they are fibre and the previous pl32s were plaswads. I will definitely need to do some research into why they are so different.

31 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

interesting, years ago I was given 200 Rottweil cartridges, used to come loose in a shoe box sized box.

Struggled to hit anything until in desperation we started cutting back the lead.

Then when we were giving targets half of what we would usually give they started to break!

Turned out they were a VERY fast cartridge, never bought any after that, stuck to my usual Gamebore's.

could be, although I tested a box in amongst a normal 100 sporting clays round and noticed no difference in my ability to hit the clays against the rio target loads I was also using. Just seems to be the feathered targets that elude me.

Express 2 1/2 inch used to be good. I ran them in a 2 1/2" chambered Remmy 1100 .410,  never missed a beat on them and what a ferreting combo. Winchesters are by far the best so reloading to Winchester spec is the cheapest option. Saga cartridges .410's 14g are absolutely stunning if you can get them. Eley 2 1/2" trap .410's are  on par with 9mm garden gun cartridges power wise. I bought two slabs once and took one back, struggled to kill rabbits at 20 yrd. 

1 hour ago, Walker570 said:

I don't know but would assume a fibre wad is more difficult to feed on a machine at speed than a plastic wad that doesn't need an over powder card as well.   A genuine fast decaying ' plaswad' type would be the answer.  All interesting stuff.

That was the reason that the ammunition makers, particularly the American ones, went so heavily into promoting the benefits of plastic wads to a sceptical public in the 70s and 80s. They needed the extra loading capacity that plastic wads would give them. A machine loading plastic wad cartridges could run much faster and they would have more cartridges to sell.

Many of the claimed advantages were either exaggerated or plain fiction. The shooting magazines of the time perpetrated the myths keen to keep their advertisers happy. It has however left us with a legacy

Edited by Vince Green