Miroku 3800 and MK38

mgsontour

3800 is the predecessor of MK38. The differences are that 3800 barrels are chopper lump joined, so chamber and barrel of each tube are manufactured in one piece and the two tubes are then soldered together. MK 38 barrels are monoblock, wich means both chambers and barrel hooks are machined from one solid piece of steel in which the tubes are soldered. If you look carefully you can see the joint in the barrels. Most shotgun manufacturors try to hide this joint by making it extra visible through some or other way of punching or engraving. Miroku and Browning have mastered the art of making this joint nearly invisible. There is no difference in strenghth or quality between chopper lump and monoblock. Chopper lump is classic and still the method of choice for most high end gun makers, whereas monoblock is cheaper to produce.
The other difference is that from the MK series of shotguns onwards, Miroku gunbarrels are chromelined, making them better suited for the use of steel shot. A well kept 3800 is as good as a well kept MK38

Well, in my experience they do have a (slight) advantage. My Miroku 7000 barrels, which are not chrome lined, show some faint scoring directly in front of the chambers from shooting (early) steel shot cartridges, nothing to worry about, but it is there, where as my chrome lined Winny 101 barrels are without any signs of shooting steel shot through them.
Over here in the Netherlands we have been banned from shooting lead shot since 1994. So older shotguns over here have been fed steel shot for more than 25 years now and I believe that is the more than enough proof of the pudding.

2 hours ago, reindeer said:

Well, in my experience they do have a (slight) advantage. My Miroku 7000 barrels, which are not chrome lined, show some faint scoring directly in front of the chambers from shooting (early) steel shot cartridges, nothing to worry about, but it is there, where as my chrome lined Winny 101 barrels are without any signs of shooting steel shot through them.
Over here in the Netherlands we have been banned from shooting lead shot since 1994. So older shotguns over here have been fed steel shot for more than 25 years now and I believe that is the more than enough proof of the pudding.

I would suggest that scored barrels are more likely to be as a result of a failed wad rather than the lack of a chrome lining. 
Even steel shot proofed barrels are at risk of scoring if that shot contacts the barrels prior to leaving them. 

On 22/02/2022 at 20:02, Stephen-H said:

Mk38 was the model after 3800 if I'm correct ( sure I will be corrected if not ) there all brillant there mirokus! Is there a specific type you were after? Fixed choke / multi choke grade in wood? You can get some grade five 3800 sub £1000 money some real bargains out there for older model mirokus.

Think I'd like the options of a multi-choke.

As always these threads pop up further questions for us all and although I think I'm correct in a 3" chamber will take super fast steel carts or do guns also need the fleu de lie mark as well as the 3" chamber?

I think the 3800s were 2 3/4 chambers I can't see why they wouldn't be able to take standard steel. I've attached a link below with a ad on guntrader this model has been teague choked. There is a few really good looking quality 3800s on there at the moment. 

https://www.guntrader.uk/guns/shotguns/miroku/over-under/12-gauge/3800-trap-grade-3-191119152330005

The mk38 will be proofed marked I imagine for steel and comes in either the mk38 teague sporter or the mk38 trap which is fixed choked at 3/4 & full I believe? But is meant to be the better handling gun of the pair but you wouldn't be able to shoot steel on the fixed choke model.

3 hours ago, Stephen-H said:

I think the 3800s were 2 3/4 chambers I can't see why they wouldn't be able to take standard steel. I've attached a link below with a ad on guntrader this model has been teague choked. There is a few really good looking quality 3800s on there at the moment. 

https://www.guntrader.uk/guns/shotguns/miroku/over-under/12-gauge/3800-trap-grade-3-191119152330005

The mk38 will be proofed marked I imagine for steel and comes in either the mk38 teague sporter or the mk38 trap which is fixed choked at 3/4 & full I believe? But is meant to be the better handling gun of the pair but you wouldn't be able to shoot steel on the fixed choke model.

Thanks for that and you know more than me on the subject but yet don't know the finer points, which for me personally can now but nailed with help so far as being:

Does either a 3800 or MK38 have the fleu do lie mark and ability to fire 3inch high performance fast steel?

Thanks in advance to anyone who knows

The 3800 for sure has no steel proof fleur the lis mark and the MK38 probably not aswell if it has some age. For 3” shells you need 3” chambers obviously.
It is however safe to shoot HP steel shot through Browning/Miroku barrels with the Invector+ choke system. This rules out de 3800. Fact is that I have shot thousands of Gamebore Black Gold HP in 12/70 nr. 4 through my 7000 invector barrels without bulging or other structural damage to the gun, other than a little bit of faint scoring, due to the first poor quality steel shot cartridges some 25 years ago.

Edited by reindeer

6 hours ago, mgsontour said:

Thanks for that and you know more than me on the subject but yet don't know the finer points, which for me personally can now but nailed with help so far as being:

Does either a 3800 or MK38 have the fleu do lie mark and ability to fire 3inch high performance fast steel?

Thanks in advance to anyone who knows

I would say no to a fleur de lis, no to 3” chambers, and yes to steel. 
Persinally I would put standard steel through either gun and any choke, but the tightest choke I have put HP steel through was a fixed 3/4, so that choice has to be down to you. 

1 hour ago, Scully said:

I would say no to a fleur de lis, no to 3” chambers, and yes to steel. 
Persinally I would put standard steel through either gun and any choke, but the tightest choke I have put HP steel through was a fixed 3/4, so that choice has to be down to you. 

Scully, I read a lot of your answers and comments to questions about guns ( along with a select few members ) and knew you would end up leaving me with another quandary of what to buy next; cheers mate ( and I'm smiling typing this )

1 hour ago, mgsontour said:

Scully, I read a lot of your answers and comments to questions about guns ( along with a select few members ) and knew you would end up leaving me with another quandary of what to buy next; cheers mate ( and I'm smiling typing this )

🙂 Sorry. If I were after a fresh gun in the Browning/Miroku type, I wouldn’t be too fussed about 3” chambers, and would be looking for something along the lines of a steel shot proofed XS Pro, Pro Sport or a Teague Sporterised Trap MK38. 
That would be my preference anyhow. 

10 hours ago, Scully said:

🙂 Sorry. If I were after a fresh gun in the Browning/Miroku type, I wouldn’t be too fussed about 3” chambers, and would be looking for something along the lines of a steel shot proofed XS Pro, Pro Sport or a Teague Sporterised Trap MK38. 
That would be my preference anyhow. 

Cheers and hear what you say loud and clear, they are nice. . . . . I get to see a few guns in use and some just stand out to me, the basic 2 camps amongst my mates are either Browning or Beretta and for me the Browning wins, I have an Ultra XS which I shoot well and as daft as it sounds for that size and weight of gun is it's my go to for pigeoning, suppose everyone is different