Webley patriot

tony3

hi all need some advice, im looking at buying fac Webley patriot .22 i need an idea for a moderator its not screw cut is there an adaptor i could use so i can attach a moderator, also what are members views on the rifle its self, im looking at using it for rats and rabbits, 

regards Tony 

Don't! Please. I had one years back. A .22 FAC Webley Patriot. It was the most unpleasant weapon I have ever used. It will belt you in the cheek such as (this says how long ago it was yet how still painfully remembered) you've done two rounds with Mike Tyson. I have shot a .470 Holland double rifle that was far far less felt recoil. The Patriot is horrible. Don't take my word try BEFORE you buy. Awful, awful, awful.

The best, the very best, springer for rats IMHO is the old early .22 Mk I BSA Airsporter as it has a self-opening "tap" that opens by linkage when you cock the gun. Also no "anti beartrap" so you can de-cock the gun and then when done turn upside down and the pellet falls out the now open tap chamber. Yes it won't have provision for a 'scope sight and you won't need to worry about a moderator. It'll make a noise when it is fired but that as such never deterred rats.

I can't advise any springer for rabbit (unless killing cage trap caught rabbits) as modern PCP guns have better accuracy for humane shots.

I had a Webley Patriot. 

Shockingly bad gun.Actually still have it as I couldn't shift it on,the rfd wouldn't even take it off my hands.

Mine was an FAC model (not sure of the power),huge recoil,heavy in weight,long in length.Got the spring changed to a lighter one and even then it was awful.Used to fire Bisley magnums through it but it is easily the worst air gun I have ever shot.The recoil broke a scope and although I did manage to fluke a few rabbits and feral pigeons with it I will never be tempted to take it out of the cabinet again unless I need a fence post hammered in or replaced.

My advice for what it is worth is not to buy it ,there are so many good alternatives out there.

There is only one choice in my mind for an FAC springer and that is an HW80, infact in FAC second hand their cheap to. However Ultrastu has a point as a sub 12ft/lb .177 pcp (whilst lacking the clout of a larger calibre at increased power) will in most cases be far more deadly due to accuracy. 

The only reason you would be tempted is because they are cheap, but they're cheap for a reason. I would question anyone's motive for needing FAC power to shoot Rats as well, most can be taken with a sub 6ftlb pistol? If you want more range for Rabbits then cheapest practical FAC is PCP pushing out around 30ftlbs, you don't need to delve into slugs or anything expensive ammo wise, if you want to save even more money then a used .22lr can cost pennies.

On 22/02/2022 at 20:41, enfieldspares said:

Don't! Please. I had one years back. A .22 FAC Webley Patriot. It was the most unpleasant weapon I have ever used. It will belt you in the cheek such as (this says how long ago it was yet how still painfully remembered) you've done two rounds with Mike Tyson. I have shot a .470 Holland double rifle that was far far less felt recoil. The Patriot is horrible. Don't take my word try BEFORE you buy. Awful, awful, awful.

The best, the very best, springer for rats IMHO is the old early .22 Mk I BSA Airsporter as it has a self-opening "tap" that opens by linkage when you cock the gun. Also no "anti beartrap" so you can de-cock the gun and then when done turn upside down and the pellet falls out the now open tap chamber. Yes it won't have provision for a 'scope sight and you won't need to worry about a moderator. It'll make a noise when it is fired but that as such never deterred rats.

I can't advise any springer for rabbit (unless killing cage trap caught rabbits) as modern PCP guns have better accuracy for humane shots.

Absolutely spot on, my FAC was the worst you could imagine.

On 24/02/2022 at 08:27, bruno22rf said:

The only reason you would be tempted is because they are cheap, but they're cheap for a reason. I would question anyone's motive for needing FAC power to shoot Rats as well, most can be taken with a sub 6ftlb pistol? If you want more range for Rabbits then cheapest practical FAC is PCP pushing out around 30ftlbs, you don't need to delve into slugs or anything expensive ammo wise, if you want to save even more money then a used .22lr can cost pennies.

Saves moving so much around the farm yard. 

• 3 weeks later...

i had a patriot and like said before they are ****.... accuracy wasn't bad it ya could keep the scope zeroed. mine broke 2 scopes from recall tho.

I found out after selling it you need a damper mount i had a one piece mount to try stop it sliding back.

just buy a 12ftlb gun or fac pre charged